Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
OutdoorsScanningTips

Tip: Matterport Exterior scanning4849

HarlanHambright private msg quote post Address this user

Dan reached out and asked me to explain my Matterport strategy for capturing this cute little neighborhood redevelopment since there are so many outside scans.

Quite simple actually. I've had very good luck lately getting outside scans to align even in direct sun. The key is to only scan where the environment is rich in 3D data.

The curved pond wall in the Howe Street provided that. And I waited to scan til late afternoon, that seems to help. As I recall I experienced no non-aligns on this job. last week I needed to connect to a guest cottage which was not that far from the main structure.

It was mid-morning and boy was it sunny. As soon as the camera got out of the eclipse from the roof line I was stopped dead in my tracks. I even got clever and scanned low under a small potted tree to connect to the landscape wall and scan past a gate, but was again my efforts were thwarted.

Went back late afternoon and even though the sun was still peeking over the roof, it scanned right across the patio and straight into the guest suite. And without the cute tree trick. Floor is open for discussion.
Post 1 IP   flag post
lisahinson private msg quote post Address this user
Superb!
Post 2 IP   flag post
nat_vanveen private msg quote post Address this user
@HarlanHambright Oh my that is a gorgeous scan!! Well done and thanks for sharing
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
VTLV private msg quote post Address this user
Nice work! I'm jealous.

What do you think the outdoor temperature was for your scan? I can't seem to get spaces like covered patios to pick up with temps over 100 degrees F.
Post 4 IP   flag post
HarlanHambright private msg quote post Address this user
Well, it's warm here, but not like that. Probably in the 80s (F).
Post 5 IP   flag post
justinv private msg quote post Address this user
I spoke about one today that should be interesting. I think it is in two weeks. The owner has to get ready for the listing.

It is on 5 acres. I am not sure how big main house but has a 1300sqft guest house and two powered tree houses. She said they have steps going up. You can bet I am going to try and get up there!

I will post it to the forum when I do it.

I have had success in the past with outdoor scanning. If there is something to bounce the laser or whatever on, it is usually pretty easy at dusk. I have actually scanned in near blackness before but it acted funny at end. The crazy part was the sky still had light in the scan but was dark.
Post 6 IP   flag post
nat_vanveen private msg quote post Address this user
@justinv looking forward to seeing that!!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Gibbsboro, NJ
Radie842 private msg quote post Address this user
Looks fantastic, there is hope yet for me! I've had 0 luck outside.
Post 8 IP   flag post
101429 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?