Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 30 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceCapture AppNewbiesTips

Lighting Techniques for inside475

Wonderdawg private msg quote post Address this user
I'm ready to pull the trigger on ordering a Matterport unit - in my due diligence, I'm concerned with white balance on some of the examples I've seen. Interiors such as fluorescent (yellow) and ambient (blue cast). Is there a way to set the camera's white balance? I've seen beautiful white walls and would like to know if there's a way to ensure that every time prior to scanning... Does a white card help on the first scan?
Thanks!
Kerry
Post 1 IP   flag post
JohnBecker private msg quote post Address this user
Nope, no way to control white balance. And you can't use a gray card (or white card) because it'll be visible in your model.

You get what you get. It pays to manage clients' expectations.
Post 2 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
Wonderdawg
Color balance has been an issue, since there is three cameras the software blends the three photos and balances the color, in most cases is does a good job. But there are a few instances where the color is off and even Matterport support cannot control it. I have found in low light areas the color is far better, in bright areas I have found a color issue more often.

Ron
Post 3 IP   flag post
Wonderdawg just like John said there is no control for color.

Ron
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Wonderdawg @JohnBecker

If Matterport sets the white balance based on the first scan, then a white balance scan would work; just deactivate the first scan in 3D Showcase.

@Wonderdawg how about asking Matterport Support and let us know?

Also, our 'wish list' threads to MP include white balance control.

Seems like a button when uploading for processing: shot in a home; office or outdoors.

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
Wonderdawg private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks all - Per Dan, I went to the Support page and here is the answer -

"The Matterport camera works best in an area with consistent, interior light sources.

Avoid sunlight, for a few reasons:
Sunlight contains a large amount of IR (infra-red) light. Since the camera's sensors use IR to record depth data, sunlight can easily confuse the camera. This results in scanning problems such as failed alignment, or holes in the mesh (seen in Floorplan and Dollhouse views).
Sunlight also usually varies from interior lights in terms of light temperature. This result in white walls appearing blue-ish near bright windows, and is a result of varying light temperatures.

Instead, whenever possible, use available interior lights, and close blinds/drapes to avoid bright sunlight (or scan when less sun is coming through windows).

In rare cases, you may see bands of light in your models -- this is due to the lighting's frequency. To prevent this, keep your camera's firmware current.

Regarding white balance, hue, and other factors, the Matterport system automatically applies HDR, white balance, and other image processing during the capture process. These processes are optimized to provide good results across a variety of conditions, but cannot be manually adjusted or otherwise controlled. Similarly, any panorama imagery is not editable."
Post 6 IP   flag post
Dan,
I understand what you are saying about the first scan and using a grey scale to set the WB but with wide range of areas covered I do not see that working. Because if you set it for a Kitchen that could have fluorescent, halogen and or led lights then move to an area that has incandescent or natural light which would again throw the balance off. I think that overall it is good. But I have noticed this being an issue when I moved from natural lighting into a room that has florescent or incandescent lighting. I have sent Matterport a request to review and respond to the issue. They have reported they are aware of the problem and are trying to address it but because the camera is used over such a large platform of lighting it is not an easy task to blend all for a great out come. They are aware of the issue. That is just my thoughts, if they would use a Nikon camera as a base model camera that would resolve all the issues!!!!!

Ron
Post 7 IP   flag post
101635 7 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?