Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 29 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Newbies

Matterport Newbie Questions45

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
If you are a Matterport newbie - or potential newbie - please ask your question here - after you have reviewed the Matterport Resources thread.

While Matterport User Group Forum members are experts and always willing to help others, MUG members can be a cranky bunch if we're asked factual questions that are easy to answer by doing your homework first: by reading Matterport Resources... 😎

Okay. your question is ....?
Post 1 IP   flag post
grantmuller private msg quote post Address this user
Hi all,

Two newbie questions:

1. Do you notice any issues with performance using artifical light (Scanning at night with all lights on) vs. natural light (day time scans)?

2. Is there a preview mode or do you need to complete the entire job and upload to the cloud first?

Thanks for patience if these questions are covered elsewhere that I haven't seen yet.
Post 2 IP   flag post
ccctucker private msg quote post Address this user
Light affects the scan greatly. It can also change the color of the scan. Since the software tries to balance out the color between several scans, try to keep the light constant throughout the level

Daylight will decrease the scanners distance, artificial light does not.

Preview only allows you a top down view to see what you have scanned and what still needs to be scanned to cover an area.

You will not see color until it has been registered in the cloud.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Thanks for your reply! We are learning as much as possible!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Hi all, We completed our first scan yesterday. I practiced on my own house which is a new build and not quite finished. This made it a bit less complicated with less furniture, etc. I would love to hear any feedback. I'm pleased with the quality of the images. We have a lot to learn! I believe that offering true fly through videos will be the game-changer that will make these tours especially popular. Has anyone heard of a release date for that? Also, I was told that these tours only work on desk tops but it's actually a better experience on an ipad in my opinion.
Post 5 IP   flag post
GarySnyder private msg quote post Address this user
Congratulations on your first scan.

Fly through has been promised from the get go but so far there has been no word on it's release. If Redfin pushes for the feature then we'll most likely see it brought forward.

The only way to do a fly through to date is to capture your screes as your navigate through a scan. Much like you would do a video game. Then you can use one of the many video editing applications to remove all the rough spots in the video.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Drew private msg quote post Address this user
Can anyone give me some advice on how to fix this issue? I am unable to walk through the door with out switching to floor plan view. Do I need to add more scans near the entry?

Post 7 IP   flag post
ccctucker private msg quote post Address this user
Did you mark the door as a window? That would stop you from going through it.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Drew private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks ccctucker for getting back to me quicker than Matterport. That was the problem. Please see below from Bob at Matterport.

Two potential problems here, First make sure your window marking do not go across the doorway, this effectively tells the software there is a wall at this location and you wont be able to pass through. Secondly you have scans which show the door as open and other which show the door as closed. while this can work sometimes, other times it will fail and is outside our current recommended procedures.

Have a great weekend!

Regards,

Bob
Post 9 IP   flag post
Mat private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod What is the general size of the files that get uploaded to Matterport from the Capture App?
Post 10 IP   flag post
It all depends on the size of the property you're capturing. I'd say around 1GB for the average property. So I guess a max capture of 200 scans would be around 2GB. I hope this helps.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Mat private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks @GarySnyder
Post 12 IP   flag post
AndyL private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All. Just did my 2nd practice home yesterday. The house had a nice alfresco area through a pair of double glass sliding doors.
I originally put a 'window' where the open space was before uploading. After I realized I couldn't walk through the window to the 3 scans I had done in the alfresco area I deleted the 'window' and re-uploaded the project. But it still won't let me walk through. The 2 rooms are now one big room.
When I'm in the workshop and making the changes to the scans I want to use, I'm allowed to walk through the space where the 'window' previously was. Although at the point of crossing over the computer screen goes black for a split second.
Any ideas why I can't access the alfresco area?
Cheers
Andy
Post 13 IP   flag post
Once you've deleted the window markup and and uploaded the job again it should have corrected the job and let you walk through the doors. Without see the scan it's difficult to tell what went wrong. It might be a case of not having the two scans aligned so you can't join the two rooms. Did you have any alignment during the scan?
Post 14 IP   flag post
Tim private msg quote post Address this user
I'm assuming these doors were open the whole time?
Post 15 IP   flag post
AndyL private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Tim & Gary
Tim, no the flyscreen doors were closed for the other living room and kitchen scan but I did open them for scan on the inside before going outside.
The other thing is I did those scans after I'd done the rest of the house as it was an after thought.
I assume that because the scan was successful, it was fine. Like I said, in the workshop I can walk outside but it does have a black screen for a split second.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Tim private msg quote post Address this user
That's ya problem I reckon mate. Once you give it an opportunity to build any mesh at any point you can obstruct your ability to walk through. Glass doors are more forgiving as they don't build mesh over the thoroughfare. If you wanna be able to walk outside open the doors wide open earlier so you don't allow the the camera to hit the door.
Post 17 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Mat @GarySnyder typically, our models are 200 scans. The file size is about 2 gig.

Typically, I upload to the Matterport cloud at the end of the day from our office that has wifi with 50 up/down.

Dan
Post 18 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Pune, Maharashtra, India
tejas_mithapelli private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Guys!!

Need urgent help. My client doesn't like the Floor plan view. Is there a possibility to dis-able or de-activate the floor plan & doll house view.

Thanks & Regards,
Tejas M.
Post 19 IP   flag post
PieroBortolot private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Tejas,
Sorry, but you can't this
It's a good idea to ask to matterport.

Piero
Post 20 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Pune, Maharashtra, India
tejas_mithapelli private msg quote post Address this user
Hey thanks Piero, hope they take this suggestion.

- Tejas
Post 21 IP   flag post
kc1302 private msg quote post Address this user
I am a leveldesigner/environment artist currently working with VR and I am interested in Matterport.

Subject : Unity 5 + Oculus rift + Matterport.

Can the matterport scan ultra-high resolution meshes with ultra high resolution textures?
If so? Are these .obj read and write protected? Can I just open the files without any restrictions?
Has anyone tried decimating the meshes?
Has anyone tried turning the textures into atlasses? Would that work?
Does anyone here understand my questions? If not, feel free to ask more questions.
Post 22 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@kc1302 I moved your questions to a new thread here.

Thanks,

Dan
Post 23 IP   flag post
HomeBaseTeam private msg quote post Address this user
Hey Guys,
I tried looking for this answer in the forum but no luck.
i just uploaded my scan and it's a three story house. on site i started in the foyer and made my way around, BUT when i start the tour online, it starts in the Master bedroom?..
Post 24 IP   flag post
Hi HomeBase, you need to go into Workshop and then go to the location you want to begin your tour. Take a snap of that location and that becomes the starting point for you model. If you take several snaps you need to select the snap you want to make as your main picture and starting point.

I hope that answers your questions.

Best of luck
Gary
Post 25 IP   flag post
@GarySnyder Thank You! Been having a little trouble getting workshop to launch on my devices, even though everythings updated and plug-ins downloaded. I'm going to tinker around with it a bit more and see how i do
Post 26 IP   flag post
Workshop no longer works on chrome, you need to use Firefox to access workshop
Post 27 IP   flag post
@GarySnyder well that settles it! is that the same with ipad as well? Because safari been terrible
Post 28 IP   flag post
I've never tried using the iPad to access the workshop. Hopefully someone here can answer that for you.
Post 29 IP   flag post
PieroBortolot private msg quote post Address this user
@HomeBaseTeam to launch workshop with chrome try the right-click of the mouse to run the plug-in

If it does not work,you must do this:

Update from Matterport on Chrome 42 and Workshop

Dear Matterport Customer,

On April 16th, 2015 Google removed direct support of plug-ins in the Chrome browser which disables the Matterport Workshop application. This affects Chrome v42 and later. You can continue to use recent versions of Safari, Firefox, and Internet Explorer without any changes.

If you would like to use Google Chrome to access Matterport Workshop, follow the instructions below:

Launch Chrome.
Click Chrome > About Google Chrome in the menu bar.
If you have version 42 or higher, type chrome://flags/#enable-npapi in the address bar. (If you have version 41 or prior, you can update to Chrome 42 in About Google Chrome.)
As shown in the screenshot below, click Enable.
Restart Chrome.

You can now use Workshop (available through my.matterport.com) with Chrome.
Post 30 IP   flag post
101636 36 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?