Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
SPAR3D17

Pop-Quiz: What did Matterport say at SPAR3D?4228

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

Watching Matterport presentation at SPAR3D in Houston now (10:10 am Monday, 3 April 2017).

According to Matterport:

1. How long does it take to scan a 10,000 SQ FT house?
2. How long does it take for the model to be processed?

Tonight (Monday, 3 April 2017), I will post the video and the answers.

Ready go!

Best,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
rakyol private msg quote post Address this user
nice i m going to wait...
Post 2 IP   flag post
JC3DCX private msg quote post Address this user
mmm, hour to scan the house, and withing 3 hours processed,
Post 3 IP   flag post
Belfast, United Kingdom
3dshowcaseuk private msg quote post Address this user
I know fact because I have done one 4.5 hours to scan and 7 hours to process
Post 4 IP   flag post
:-), I know, but according to Matterport it is "quick and fast" to scan and process, so my answer was a bit sarcastic, :-)
Post 5 IP   flag post
MeshImages private msg quote post Address this user
I would guess 5 hours to scan and 5 hours processing.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Closest answers will win the admiration of the community 😎
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Would be great if you include how long it takes you to do 10,000 sq ft

Dan
Post 8 IP   flag post
MeshImages private msg quote post Address this user
I am slow, I calculate only 40 (successful) scans per hour.
Post 9 IP   flag post
alx3D private msg quote post Address this user
I am guessing they quoted:
2hrs Scanning and 2 hrs processing.

In reality I think we all know it is at least 3 times that.

I like to give myself 1hr/ 1000 sqft when scheduling so I would block off 10 hours and typically finish in about 7.
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Keep those estimates coming (and please, if you have scanned 10,000 sq ft., how long it takes you.

Thanks,

Dan
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Last call for estimates. I will post the video shortly.

Dan
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

Video: Matterport Business Development Manager Tomer Poran AEC Market Presentation at the SPAR 3D Conference in Houston today (Monday, 3 April 2017).

According to this video ...

3:40 - 1 to 2 hours to scan 10,000 sq ft.
3:40 - processing completed in 2 hours

Dan
Post 13 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSmigrod

Video: Matterport Business Development Manager Tomer Poran AEC Market Presentation at the SPAR 3D Conference in Houston today (Monday, 3 April 2017).

According to this video ...

3:40 - 1 to 2 hours to scan 10,000 sq ft.
3:40 - processing completed in 2 hours

Dan

BULLCRAP.

I scan an average of 1500 SQFT an hour. It all depends on furnishing and layout of the house. With minimal staging and an open floorplan, MAYBE.

I demand a timelapse video demonstration by this presenter.

Either that or the next presentation is the new Matterport Camera announcement that is capable of scanning 10,000 SQFT in 1 to 2 hours depending on how fast the photographer can run.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Would be nice if only possible in real life but Matterport should really show us how they do it in such a short time.

I have done this 10763.9sqft (1000sqm) house and it took me roughly 12 hours to scan, and if I remember correctly about 8 hours to process.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Belfast, United Kingdom
It really depends on the type of building it is so Matterport aren't completely telling porkies.

This 8000 sq ft house clickable text took me 4.5 hours to scan and approx 7 hours to process

Where as this 7500 sq ft exhibition hall clickable text took me just over 1hr to scan and 1.5 hours to process

And this 19000sq ft hall clickable text took 3 hrs to scan and 3 hrs to process
Post 16 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
VTLV private msg quote post Address this user
Matterport originally offered this service as anyone could do with no skill and hide behind the camera as it revolves around a 360 shot.

We know that furniture and walls impede us from doing this replica in most situations (forcing us to run and hide further away from the camera, possibly in a room further away).

Extra steps cost time.

In order to shoot a room at this speed for great dollhouse quality without 3d dollhouse black spots, we have to give up the ability to stay with the camera and give up maneuverability to our clients and their visitors to see certain parts of the property.

Where is the priority?

Priority 1: We shot your property fast and missed 3D spots on the dollhouse that could show errors or smugged grey'd out spots.

Priority 2: We offered the ability to see everything in the home from desired angles for the future home buyer? (Costing more time for additional scans that Matterport claims to get all the goods as if you were there in person).

Questions:

If nobody can navigate to certain parts of the home, are we ok with our high end pricing? (What is the measure to build our 3d Dollhouse and claim we are high end).

Then meet the fast speed range Matterport now claims. But the clients loose maneuverability to places they want to be at.

If not enough is showcased by MSP's. Does the client feel duped when they arrive at the property , immediately feeling like they were shown our service as a misrepresentation, or was it enough to get them in the door to move forward in a sale?

Somehow, could we have just passed by selling at a high price and offer enough high quality spots for our purchasing client who bought our service to share enough as one more gimmick to win a listing or buyer lead? (We have little to solidify a guarantee for future business as a brand that could be based on something like a hard set boundaries that MSP's could guarantee).

Or do we dog the false timeline that may work according to Matterport in some open spaces if everything aligns ok for claims of faster scan time. (Then later we adjust on spot when timeline doesn't match our current shoot by using excuses or reason while Matterport is off the hook, we are now liable for a promise from big daddy).

Then adjust certain shoots to open areas that may scan fast while decorated areas could take longer to focus on detail on the unit for sale? (perfect example is a baby bedroom can be 3 cans by a crib while a tee bedroom could be 5 if the closet shres a wall with entry walkway).

Does We Get Around need to have a Code Of Ethics to stand behind while MSP's lay with the pigs for morals when it comes to our offerings? Should this come down to preferred MSP's that could be found on Google searches? I could abide by things like no reflections in mirrors for starters. Protected links from poachers on my pages. Expertise on common topics in VR, 360 and social media befor talking to guys in other states.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Property3dNZ private msg quote post Address this user
Wow this is unreal!

I scanned a 800SQM space at the museum a few weeks ago and I work off the basis that its about an hour per 100SQM so booked 8 hours - did it in 5hours.

They are misleading people in a such a big way its unreal - unless of course they are wanting people to such a shocking quality of scan its pointless to begin with!
Post 18 IP   flag post
iGUIDE
Founder/CEO
Kitchener, Canada
Alex_iGuide private msg quote post Address this user
Would be interesting to see a video demonstration of the claimed data acquisition speed, similar to what @Chris_iGuide has done:

Post 19 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

While a real-time video may be dull as dishwater, in this instance, it would be super-valuable to the community to teach us this technique of scanning a space in record time that (nearly?) all of us are skeptical can be achieved.

In this post ...

Matterport Training Video Wanted: $1,000

... We Get Around offers $1,000 for a real-time video of scanning a home.

I'll give some thought if I should offer a $1,000 for real-time scan of commercial space showing a 10,000 SQ FT space scanned in two hours, AND meets the standard that @VTLV describes: a nice dollhouse and ability to walk around where you would expect to be able to walk around.

There may only be one entrant: Matterport, but I could imagine that they will miss the requirement that the dollhouse look nice and the ability to walk around where you would expect to be able to walk around.

Your thoughts?

Dan

@Alex_iGuide Thanks for sharing the iGuide time-lapse video.
Post 20 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
VTLV private msg quote post Address this user
Matterport used to share a video of the girl staying with the camera as it spun in a large walkway to aave time. I cannot find it this evening. Only in a few homes is this feasible, especially if mirror or reflection is present and the halls are wide.

Instead they now show a video with her leaving the room. And pushing for more scans on stairways to fill the dollhouse. Seen here.clickable text

These moves do not support their algorithm of 2 hours for extra scans, especially for 10k sqft. We can shave time in non furnished environments, especially bedrooms and tend to shoot fast in great rooms or living rooms.

So commercial space still doesn't settle with their story if cubicles or other items block thr spray path. So maybe wide open spaces can work if there's no rescan because the space has nothing different and cannot figure out the location based on the last scan.

One member did go into a piece once on following the furthest spray to gain more data for the next shot over shorter overlapping shots.

Sounds good in theory, but I still get obstacles and try not to allow them to be complete roadblocks to allow me to only bitch.

Am I missing something you guys are capitalizing on? Not.much resistance here.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Gerhard private msg quote post Address this user
Hi @VTLV , I think I might have a copy off that video you are referring to.

I am doing a 18,000 sq ft home next week and will revert back how long it took with number of scans. Including the odd 20 - 30 outdoor panoramics the client requires.

I did an empty 3,3000 sq ft 2 level empty villa ( 4 bedroom ) + 6 panoramics was a total of 74 scans and it came out perfect. Took me just under 2 hours to complete. So its basically an average of 3 - 4 min per scan, also have to hide and run back. Then there is the problem of the camera scanning and suddenly stopping to think what its doing, that also adds extra seconds. But the staircase was narrow so would abbe maybe done and extra 4 -6 scans on it. But If the same property was furnished I think I would have gone way over two hours.

They also don't mention that we have to look at the position of the sun and factor that in also, so maybe a 2 hour job you will still have to go back and maybe capture rooms that you could not because of the sun. But they don't tell you that.

Also something that I picked up is that you have to do extra scans per room wether you like it or not especially when using the still images, so that also adds extra time, also in post production.

Lets ask the question how much time do you spend in Post Production ? Is the workshop that user friendly or could they improve on it? I think so. It will just speed up the workflow.But thats just my 2 cents and carries no value.
Post 22 IP   flag post
justinv private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod

I did this 13,000 sqft house last week. It took me 4.5 hours the first day and another one the next. I probably spent 1-1.5 hours outdoors. I always scan outside rather than 360's.

clickable text

I guess 7 hours sounds about right for processing?

I think it could be done in maybe 4 but probably closer to 4.5 hours without outdoor spaces. This is close to ideal as it gets because the house is empty and no one else to scan around.
Post 23 IP   flag post
nat_vanveen private msg quote post Address this user
Touche to all our members who know how to walk their talk!

First of all I think Matterport are missing the point with AEC. If you want fast and easy then just scan an 'overview' of a space - like they did in their MEP room example clickable text - completely useless in my humble opinion - unless they were going to put it up for sale

However, once we need to scan a space as a truly immersive experience and apply that tour to a business use case such as for education then their 1 - 2 hour time frame isn't doable, unless maybe we are scanning the outside dunny

But Matterport's main focus remains on Real Estate... I just can't get my head around why they're leaving money on the table!???
Post 24 IP   flag post
mike02h private msg quote post Address this user
@3dshowcaseuk 19000SQFT?! I thought Matterport said that the limit was 10,000? I've been fed lies!
Post 25 IP   flag post
Belfast, United Kingdom
They say this as they only support up to 10000 but you cN go much much higher

Http://Galgorm.3dshowcase.co.uk is 33000 Sq ft
Post 26 IP   flag post
nice, I have done this 10000sqft one, and still needs to do the two flats beneath the house. Took me nearly 12 hours, and had the owners in the house, so that adds to the time.

http://jc3dcx.co.za/3d-model/10-sedgefield/skinned/
Post 27 IP   flag post
Property3dNZ private msg quote post Address this user
@JC3DCX Lol I love the dog moving up the stairs!
Post 28 IP   flag post
101432 28 28
This topic is archived. Start new topic?