Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 30 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Belfast, United Kingdom
3dshowcaseuk private msg quote post Address this user
Matterport U.K. apparently in the search for property photographers.

https://www.reed.co.uk/jobs/matterport/o551079

Should they not be selling cameras instead of paying £15 an hour, surely this isn't true.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Viewing private msg quote post Address this user
Ethically, yes, it's probably going too far. But Matterport's interest is in creating as many models as possible, therefore generating as much recurring income as possible. They probably have many investors to satisfy who expect Matterport to deliver on this mass money making strategy they have likely been promised.

Does Matterport spend more time listening to the requests of MSPs and giving us tools to expand into other markets (ecom, tickets, video media inside tours etc) or do they spend more time making more camera sales to anybody and everybody to generate more models? There is no right or wrong answer but I know which I personally think.

We didn't know it at the time of investing in the camera but as time goes on it seems to me anyway that this is Matterport's short and long term strategy and us MSPs shouldn't expect anything different going forward.

Not to take away anything from the camera, which is outrageously good and does allow us to move into certain other areas away from property (real estate) but our scope is limited by Matterport's priorities. Everybody wants to capture a niche in the market and recurring fees from the real estate sector appears to be theirs.

We just have to look at what else will allow us to move into other markets effectively. Matterport will still serve us for certain purposes.

Just my opinion, maybe I'm wrong.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Belfast, United Kingdom
I don't ultimately have a problem with Matterport pushing to sell more cameras and ultimately have more recurring payments, thats their model

But this advert which is apparently by Matterport UK is looking for property photographers and offering £15 per hour.

So it looks like they are hiring staff to use their own cameras to compete with MSP who have invested in their equipment.

It won't affect my business directly as I am not located in the south of England but I would be pissed off if I was.
Post 3 IP   flag post
The Czechs probably thought they were safe when Poland got invaded.
Post 4 IP   flag post
nat_vanveen private msg quote post Address this user
Would it be the case that Matterport is looking at where they don't have any MP sales (scans) and that's why they're advertising? To fill holes geographically??

15 an hour, hmmm that's not much is it for a commercial photographer?!
Post 5 IP   flag post
That quite feasible. Almost like Matterport are thinking "Well, we gave you this awesome tool and we expected you MSPs to go out and dominate, but you're not doing enough so we'll have to do it ourselves to ensure we're the recognised name for 3D tours."

But then that's blaming ourselves for something that's largely out of our control. Who knows really why they take the approach they do. All my thoughts are just pure speculation.
Post 6 IP   flag post
PeterMcCready private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter
Who knows really why they take the approach they do.

Absolutely, it's certainly an unexpected twist, that's for sure, I can't imagine as to why they wouldn't simply turn to their internal list of MSPs in order to find someone...
Post 7 IP   flag post
Perhaps that would mean paying more than 15 quid an hour? Never had a job from Matterport to know what their rates are though.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Miami Beach, FL
AerialLook private msg quote post Address this user
If I told you that the photo you took on your cannon camera belonged to cannon and only exists on the cannon cloud, you would sue cannon for withholding data that you rightfully own. What makes Matterport immune to this?

Matterport needs us, we don't need them. Once a better camera system comes out we will take our market share to that platform. Nothing MP can do. All MSP's should focus on building their business around keeping their customers at the forefront of technology. Not at the forefront of MP (Dan has provided the perfect platform to stay informed). Our large corporate clients are well aware that when a new tech comes out, they do not have to search for it. We will insure that their marketing efforts are scaling with the latest available tech. They don't buy into MP, they buy into a company that will always insure they are at the forefront of technology.
Post 9 IP   flag post
JC3DCX private msg quote post Address this user
The Matterport relationship is a love/hate relationship and they are out to make money, just as we are out to make money. After all, it is money that makes the world go round.

I would love a few changes but have learned to live with it. For one, I was afraid that people in South-Africa would go and purchase cameras and then the market would be flooded. After nearly a year in business, I came to realize that having more cameras in the country would help, as there are jobs in other towns that I have to say no to as it would be too expensive due to travel expenses. Another photographer has purchased a camera and we will be referring people to each other helping each other to grow.
Post 10 IP   flag post
@JC3DCX The very furthest you would have to travel for a job in the UK is only 150 miles-ish so good idea partnering up considering the vastness of SA! 😃

@AerialLook I was under the impression that we owned the models so long as we continue to pay for the hosting of them. Maybe you could shed some light on that?

It will be interesting to see what's around the corner across a variety of products and updates.
Post 11 IP   flag post
VRPM private msg quote post Address this user
It's possible that they are recruiting someone in-house to service all of their old Virtual Walkthough clients? Not sure how this would fit with their business model though. I didn't think MP had any interest in doing the tours themselves.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Standard
Wandsworth U.K.
RobinLycka private msg quote post Address this user
@VRPM Your assumption is right, they also mentioned this in one of the early meetings after the acquisition. They have a small list of clients that they need to service to honour the contract. The revenues on this is probably not enough to outsource it to MSP´s hence they recruit a junior at £15/h to handle it.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Belfast, United Kingdom
Still think they would be better dealing with old clients via a separate company rather than under the Matterport UK banner, just adds to the existing confusion
Post 14 IP   flag post
101634 14 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?