Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 25 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Insta360 AirInsta360 NanoRicoh Theta S

Insta360 Air Panoramic Camera (for Android)4024

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

Hi All,

An Insta360 Air Panoramic Camera (for Android smartphone) - and some accessories - just arrived from Singapore.

Something fun to play with this weekend.

You can buy it on Amazon here (less than $140). Reminder: you need to pair it with an Android phone.

Dan

Post 1 IP   flag post
Standard
Windsor, UK
leonvanzweel private msg quote post Address this user
Imagine the pro version with iGuide

https://www.insta360.com/product/insta360-pro/
Post 2 IP   flag post
Helen private msg quote post Address this user
@leonvanzweel Looks like it has good stabilization would like to try it out for a 360 walk through video.
Post 3 IP   flag post
nat_vanveen private msg quote post Address this user
That looks really cool, I'd like to try that

@DanSmigrod do you or anyone else in the forum have recommendations for a 360 camera for an iphone?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Standard
Windsor, UK
leonvanzweel private msg quote post Address this user
@nat-vanveen Have a look at the Insta360 Nano
Post 5 IP   flag post
nat_vanveen private msg quote post Address this user
@leonvanzweel Thanks Leon
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

I the Insta360 Air paired with my Samsung Galaxy 6S Edge. (I imagine that I would also :heart" the Insta360 Nano for my iPhone 7 Plus.)

Based on my preliminary testing, it's likely that I will conclude that I like the Insta360 better than my Ricoh Theta S.

I did do some side-by-side video recording with the Insta360 Air and the Ricoh Theta S.

You can compare the videos (below) that I shot in the office on Friday (3 March 2017).

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Same content shot with two different 360º video cameras ...

Video: Shot with Ricoh Theta S

Video: Shot with Insta360 Air
[Note: if it is not in 360º - it is still processing at YouTube]

Dan
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

Aside from video quality - looks same or better than the Ricoh Theta S - here are my testing notes so far.

Highlights on Video

1. Since the Insta360 Air connects directly to my Android phone, it eliminates transfer time. (With the Ricoh Theta S, I have to transfer the video from the Ricoh Theta S to my phone (or computer) to share it. When working with video, this is a HUGE benefit of the Insta360 Air.

2. The User Interface Design of the Insta360 Air is much better than the Ricoh Theta S. Highlights include:

✓ progress bar when uploading to YouTube
✓ easier to know which video is which because the thumbnail is huge AND tells you the length.
✓ super-easy to end heads-and-tails within the app
✓ video is viewable immediately after shooting. This is HUGE. On the Ricoh Theta S, you have to transfer the video (LONG time)
✓ video quality is very good for the price point and good or better than the twice-as-much Ricoh Theta S
xheckmark - you get set the YouTube thumbnail with the Insta360 Air. Not possible with the Ricoh Theta S
✓ 4 options for "patches" for the nadir (bottom) (Though I wish I could upload 1 or more of my own). Ricoh Theta S doe snot offer this option

Note: While I successfully did a LIVE STREAM on YouTube with the InstaAir 360, it does have a known issue about matching lips to the sound. (A firmware update is expected and likely to fix this.) The process for LIVE STREAM via YouTube is easy and intuitive. I was able to figure out in minutes.

In contrast, I never used the Ricoh Theta S to live stream after reading a 10 page document about how to do it and watching an 8 minute video explaining how to do it. (Amazing!)

The quality of the video - syncing aside - is excellent.

What do you think about the difference in video quality (above)?

Dan
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

A (potential big downside) for you might be that the Insta360 Air ties up your smartphone>

Since I have five smartphones - don't ask - it's not an issue for me.

Dan
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
To see how the insta360 Air does in low-light, I shot these Festivus 2017 videos with the Insta360 Air this weekend.

(I also shot many of same videos with the Ricoh Theta S ... I labeled three of them Ricoh Theta S-Testing.)

Time for dinner and Argentine Tango class. I may be slow to reply, if you post now (Monday evening, 6 March 2017).

Dan
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

360º Video: Old Time Fiddler's Convention | 11 March 2017 in Chattanooga, TN

360 Video on Facebook: Recycling Artist Nicole Griffin in the workshop at Tangerinas in Chattanooga

Above are two more videos I shot with the Insta360 Air. So far, I am very happy with the quality.

I am experiencing challenges exporting the video to YouTube. I am not sure if it is my internet connection (seems rock-solid) or something about the Insta360 Air app. Stay tuned.
Post 12 IP   flag post
srennick private msg quote post Address this user
@Dansmigrod have you or anyone else worked with the Samsung Gear 360? I just purchased it a few weeks ago and have been trying it out and wondering if it is a keeper (30 day return for Best Buy preferred buyer). I want the best for this price range (250-350)
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@srennick

While I have not tried the Samsung Gear 360 yet, many Members in the Forum have been very happy with it.

So far, I am loving the Insta360 Air. I still need to play with it more.

Dan
Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@srennick

List: 14 of 38 360º 1-Click Cameras < $500

Dan
Post 15 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

Post 16 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

The world around us just got more exciting. Live, 360º video streaming, AND, you can do it with a $120 Inta360 Air camera for your Android phone or $200 InstaAir Nano camera for your iPhone.

This is nuts! (super-exciting).

Facebook Widens 360º Live-Streaming for All

Dan

Related Links

10 Tips for a Great Facebook Live 360 Video
Post 17 IP   flag post
mori private msg quote post Address this user
Have also just got mine and here some real world pix on FB: https://www.facebook.com/mori2011
Post 18 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

Hi All,

I continue to test the Insta360 Air.

In this video, you can see what happens when someone stands on the "seam" and the resulting bad stitching.

That said ...

As long as you position the camera so that the seam is not facing a person or object that is within a few feet of the camera, the stitching will be fine.

I used the Insta360 Air to record a ton of video interviews at the SPAR 3D Expo & Conference in Houston. I the quality of the video and workflow.

I will continue to write more about my testing experience with this $120 360º spherical photo/video camera that pairs with an Android phone (iPhone version is $199).

In the mean time, if you are deciding between the Ricoh Theta S and Inst360 Air, I recommend the Insta360 Air UNLESS you want to get the Ricoh Theta S for immoviewer. (immoviewer uses the Ricoh Theta S API to make the shooting and workflow experience great.

Best,

Dan
Post 19 IP   flag post
101646 19 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?