Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,033 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 39 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Capture App

Orphaned Scans warning seriousness4009

Orange, California
craigsauer private msg quote post Address this user
This afternoon I did a job that ended up being at the worst time of day, with direct sunlight beaming in through windows with no window coverings on them.

I spent an extra hour there waiting for the sun to go down enough to redo the worst areas, but as a result, I ended up with 109 scans in total. I could easily choose 9 of them to remove to bring the model down to 100 scans to avoid it counting as two uploads, but every scan I try to delete give me the "Orphaned Scans" warning.

I'm going to make a copy of the model and then delete 10 scans before uploading, but I thought I'd ask here for opinions and experiences about this issue.
Post 1 IP   flag post
JonJ private msg quote post Address this user
Hey @craigsauer,

So, this does not really answer your question about orphaned scans, but I wanted to point out to you that there is a common misconception with respect how many models are charged against you on your Matterport plan. For the longest time, I was under the impression, that if I my plan had 3 free models for processing and I scanned a standard size model and a large sized model, my 3 free models were now used up and I would be responsible for paying $19 or $38 for subsequent models. Well, after reviewing the last few months of statements, I determined that the first 3 models that I processed for the month were free regardless of size. It didn't matter if they were all Large scans, they were included with the 3 processed models if they were the first ones to be uploaded.

So, the moral of the story is, if you can front load all of you Large scans then you should do that (usually not possible). Also, if it is the beginning of the month, don't worry about staying under 100 scans/views because it doesn't matter until all of your "free" scans have been used up.

Hope that helps...at least for scans you do in the beginning of the month.

Jon
Post 2 IP   flag post
grmngrl private msg quote post Address this user
@craigsauer I was under the impression that you will always get that warning when you delete a scan. I don't worry about it. The black spots from the sun light do not interfere with the outcome. Just scan as you normally would.
Post 3 IP   flag post
JC3DCX private msg quote post Address this user
@craigsauer I also ignore the warning, was a bit scared in the beginning when I saw the warning, but could not see any negative effects, now I am still careful when deleting but not worried about the warning.

Thanks @JonJ for the info, :-)
Post 4 IP   flag post
walk360 private msg quote post Address this user
@grmngrl black spots do matter. You will see the difference in the Dollhouse view. I always wait for the sun to get down and double scan those special rooms to get rid off the black spots.

@grmngrl I will do the copy of the model and delete the 9 extra scans to see what happens... then you make a decision to leave like that or to pay for the extra scans
Post 5 IP   flag post
Orange, California
@grmngrl It definitely doesn't always give that warning. If you delete one scan at the end of a series, like as you go down a hallway, it doesn't give the warning.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Orange, California
Just reporting back: Last night I copied the model and then deleted enough scans (getting the warning each time) to bring it down below 100 before uploading. Got the completed tour back this morning, and can't see any problem.
Post 7 IP   flag post
101425 7 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?