Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceMultiple FloorsScansTips

Max number of scans in matterport model?3955

technodai private msg quote post Address this user
I'm curious to hear what other people have managed to achieve in terms of very large spaces and the number of scan positions...

We were recently having difficulty with large scans causing white screen/crashes in the Matterport 3D ipad app but the updated app (version 1.3.3) seems to have fixed that problem.

I've got a very large and complex building to scan and the developer I think would rather have one 3D model of the entire building, but we had to dissuade the client of this as would likely require 600+ scans

I therefore convinced the client to have a separate scan for each floor, but even that is hard to keep to 200 scans per floor and the client loses the ability to view dollhouse as a whole.

Here is our scan of the ground floor

As you can see, there are large areas missing from scan. There's a few reasons for this; some of the building is literally unsafe and so cannot be scanned. Other areas are incomplete though because to cover as much of the building as possible, I've needed to be very strict and maybe only scan a particular room once to get a basic outline and then move on.

The building has some historical significance (Cardiff Coal Exchange) and is about to be changed forever. So, without promising anything to the client I'm considering doing a whole building scan in addition to the multifloor approach to really push the technology and hopefully deliver a much improved product.

What's the maximum number of scans people have achieved? Are they still manageable? Do they work in the ipad app? How are loading times affected? How does Matterport charge for very large scans? I know that Matterport doesn't *officially* support any more than 200 scans but if it's possible I'd like to try.

I'd love to hear any input on the subject
Post 1 IP   flag post
Belfast, United Kingdom
3dshowcaseuk private msg quote post Address this user
Check my website www.3dshowcase.co.uk and give me a call. I have recent experience of a huge scan which is confidential but can give good advice. Cheers mark
Post 2 IP   flag post
Lake In The Hills, IL
WindyCityDrones private msg quote post Address this user
Had around 400 scans on this one. Worked great, but I was getting nervous toward the end.

wrigley mansion

http://my.matterport.com/show/?m=57Ur5EQfoAo
Post 3 IP   flag post
mori private msg quote post Address this user
Have you checked this guide?
https://support.matterport.com/hc/en-us/articles/227408407

Scanning Large Empty Spaces(📄 PDF)
Last updated Thursday at 21:50
Post 4 IP   flag post
mori private msg quote post Address this user
Also see https://support.matterport.com/hc/en-us/articles/208933258-How-big-can-my-Matterport-model-be-

I think the number of scans is not limited to <200, but when having more you could get in trouble cause of the huge amount of data. Maybe you can ask MP if it´s possible to combine single scans into 1 space afterwards?

Spaces with more than 100 scans will be charged $38, as overages.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Belfast, United Kingdom
3dshowcaseuk private msg quote post Address this user
Just finished a 500 scan and it loads nicely.

I scanned the 1st tier, then duplicated and added the second tier and then duplicated, then I add the 3rd floor and then duplicated.

Therefore ending up with 4 Models, I deleted the unwarnted scans from models 2 and 3 and ended up with a model of each floor and one of the whole building.

I will post the finished models in the main forum in a minute
Post 6 IP   flag post
technodai private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks everyone! That's pretty encouraging if people are getting good results way above 200 scans. I wish I had thought to try this earlier as I now have two large scans of individual floors but a better approach would have been to scan one floor, duplicate the scan, continue onto the next as 3dshowcaseuk describes above...maybe I'll continue in that way from now on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mori
Maybe you can ask MP if it´s possible to combine single scans into 1 space afterwards?

Has anyone ever successfully joined two scans before? I would assume that the data would be required at build, no?

Also, great scans everybody!
Post 7 IP   flag post
101641 7 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?