Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 761 Unique Visitors
9,056 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,838 Page Views | 19,122 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
GearVirtual Reality

360 Video camera on a robot?3867

Orange, California
craigsauer private msg quote post Address this user

I can't catch a view of the camera in a mirror or anything, but my guess is that this is a Ricoh Theta S on a hacked Roomba. The mount is a little wobbly, but still. Pretty cool, huh?
Post 1 IP   flag post
GarySnyder private msg quote post Address this user
At 5:10 you can see the reflection of the camera off the shower door. It looks like a Samsung 360. This is one of their static 360 shots so it looks like the camera is on a long mono-pod. I can't tell what's moving the camera. At 6:45 shows a better view of the base and this time it looks like a Nikon 360. No matter what they're using they did a great job of combining 360 video and pano's and it's very effective. I'd love to know what Scouting Owl charges for this.
Post 2 IP   flag post
alsangio private msg quote post Address this user
This is genius!
Post 3 IP   flag post
JonJ private msg quote post Address this user
I had considered using something like this for 360 video, but I don't have it in the budget just yet.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
Queen_City_3D private msg quote post Address this user
@craigsauer I'm guessing the rig doesn't do stairs too well.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@craigsauer

In a previous life (2010), I attached a video camera to our Neato XV-11 Laser Guided Robotic vacuum Cleaner. "Neato-Cam"

The amazing this is that this video - of my home-office carpet being cleaned - has been viewed 7,450 times.

I suppose I should do it again, but this time with my Ricoh Theta S

Perhaps robot vacuums should come with a camera mount (and a cat).

Dan

Post 6 IP   flag post
RavenD private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJ
I had considered using something like this for 360 video, but I don't have it in the budget just yet.

@JonJ , what would the application in our industry?
Post 7 IP   flag post
JonJ private msg quote post Address this user
RavenD,
I would use this tool to capture 360 video. I would not be using it for virtual presence.
Jon
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
New Brighton, PA
frstbubble private msg quote post Address this user
I am waiting some time to implement 360 video walkthroughs for the following reasons.
#1 I don't think the quality of the video is good enough for the perceived standard we would like to convey.
#2 The amount of data required to play these videos. I am looking at the fact that a large percentage of people would be viewing it on a mobile device over a cellular connection with limited data. Although data packages are growing, I do not think I am ready to tread on data-heavy videos. Although I shoot all my video in 4K, I only render at 1080 unless requested differently by the client.

I love the 360 video concept and am look into making a robot to hold a quality camera but, am still put off by the amount of data that is captured and then transferred to get a high-quality video.
360 video is still in its early stages but, its time will come in the not so distant future.

I may be going out on a limb, but I am questioning the sustainability of our Immersive Virtual Tours as they exist. We hear that VR is going to take 3-5 years to mature. I think in time that 360 videos may displace the static tours we offer with their vr offerings.
Post 9 IP   flag post
101740 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?