Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 488 Unique Visitors
9,045 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 33,567 Page Views | 18,421 Unique Visitors | 26 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Helen private msg quote post Address this user
Does anyone have advise on how to trim or mark skylights to make the model look cleaner?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Chadcloses private msg quote post Address this user
When is it ever sunny enough in Canada to have to much light coming in from a skylight? Lol. J/K. I live in Palm Desert,CA where it's always sunny!!! I've never had any issues with over exposure coming through a skylight. And I try to schedule most of my shoots at Noon so the sun is directly above. Can you send a link to the tour you're referring to?
Post 2 IP   flag post
JonJ private msg quote post Address this user
@Chadcloses, I think she is referring to the blue artifacts that appear in the dollhouse view.
As for a fix, I am not aware of any. The only thing you can do is scan directly underneath or far enough away that the sensor is unable to recognize the structure. Either approach is usually impractical. Sorry😔
Post 3 IP   flag post
@Chadcloses As @JonJ mentioned I was talking about how they extrud from the dollhouse view. I thought there might be a way to trim them. As for the sunlight there was over a foot of snow on them.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Hi Helen,

After some additional thought, I think it might be possible to trim out the skylight artifacts from the dollhouse view. I recall a model where I captured a small bathroom that was off of a main living area. For this model, I decided to scan the main living area with the door to the bathroom shut and only open it when you were just in front of the bathroom door, for a more aesthetically pleasing model. After I processed the model there was an artifact that remained in the doorway leading from the main room into the bathroom. I did not want to have to go back and re-scan with the door open the whole time, so I did an interior trim where I surrounded the doorway, on all 4 sides, with trim markings (with the remove arrow pointing inward). This solved my navigation problem, but in the dollhouse view it also removed all artifacts (floor to ceiling) where I had trimmed. While this was not ideal for my scenario, it may be the perfect solution for the skylight dilemma! Please give it a try and let us know how it turns out!

Thanks,
Jon
Post 5 IP   flag post
@JonJ Thanks The problem is, I have no idea where I would even put the trim, as it only shows the walls when your scanning and does not show ceilings.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@JonJ The ability to trim in workshop would be ideal, unless I have missed it somehow? We do not have that ability.
Post 7 IP   flag post
You are right, it is not possible to trim in workshop. This will have to be done in the capture app, prior to uploading. As for determining where to place your trim markers, this may take a few tries.

related thread

If it is not obvious where to trim on the mini-map, go ahead and upload the model and when you get your model back, try and add the trim markers using the processed model as a guide, then reprocess. Continue to refine your trim markings until you are happy with the final model.
Post 8 IP   flag post
360Verbeelding private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Hellen. just experiment. make a copy of your captured file so you always have the original. Now work in the copyed file.
Just mark one of the skylights as a regular window. Mark the orher skylight as a mirror. Upload this changed capture file to MP and see what happens. Make a new copy of the original file. Use this copy to try some more. Mark the skylight as if you would remove it. Mark the other skylight as a window but place the marker more inside the scan. upload to MP and wait for it to come back. Al uploads afther the first one are free of charge. This way you can always experiment with different settings. But please always make a copy ore more of the original to work in. Have fun.

Happy scanning
Grtz Rene, The Netherlands.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Property3dNZ private msg quote post Address this user
Hi @Helen

I discussed this very issue with MP about a year and a half ago. They called it "space junk" and told me it was something they were working on.... since then I have heard nothing else about it so i guess it been put on the back burner! In my experience I haven't been able to get rid of floating windows above and I've tried a whole bunch of different things!

Thanks

Marcia
Post 10 IP   flag post
101587 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?