Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 373 Unique Visitors
9,059 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 33,549 Page Views | 18,409 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum

Help! Mirrors Mirrors everywhere!3547

Rootsyloops private msg quote post Address this user
I could use a little advice on a work-around for mirrors. I scanned a home yesterday with a master bath filled with mirrors. I literally could not come up with a workaround to get a scan. Almost all of the walls have at least some mirror space. I can't even get a starting scan to estimate where the walls are so that I can accurately mark the mirrors. Do I need to hang a sheet or towel over them somehow to get an initial scan of the space? I'm thinking then maybe if I can accurately mark the mirrors, I could delete the first scan and rescan the area.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Post 1 IP   flag post
JohnBecker private msg quote post Address this user
Maybe try going low. Get as close to the ground as your tripod will allow, which will (presumably) get the camera below where the mirrors are. That will give you something to build off of. Theoretically.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Rootsyloops private msg quote post Address this user
Good tip. I'll give that a shot!
Post 3 IP   flag post
justinv private msg quote post Address this user
@Rootsyloops

Is it a square room or is it almost like an octagon? Also, are they floor to ceiling?

If they have cabinets, just like @JohnBecker said, lower your tripod while standing behind your camera. Watch in mirror until the top of camera is level with vanity. The only problem with this method is you can tell when you hit that spot on the model. If they are full length, you can look for maybe a fake tree or plant that is 4_5 feet tall and set it in front of the mirror.

I wish @metroplex360 mirror trick was more than proof of concept. Maybe next year!
Post 4 IP   flag post
StevenHattan private msg quote post Address this user
Um....mirror trick? I must have missed that? Please share!! Maybe if I have 16 kids I can be smart,too.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@StevenHattan

clickable text
Post 6 IP   flag post
StevenHattan private msg quote post Address this user
Cool. It's hard to keep up. It's just mind boggling that Chris can be 100 steps ahead by himself but an entire COMPANY can't get out of first gear.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@StevenHattan

It is like Matterport is copying Apple's way of doing things. That isn't a compliment either!

It is amazing some of the things he comes up with. I guess it helps he has a knowledge of programming.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
All that mirror fix demonstrates is that manual editing of tiles is all that is necessary. Having to run the whole thing through a proxy in order to inject the edited files is a bit ridiculous but was the only way.

I would like Matterport to allow edits as I have a lot of cameras on mirrors that cannot be avoided. Even though I can remove the camera from the mirrors, I do not do it as the proxy are latency to the tour (slows it down a bit) and I can't guarantee it to my clients. Not just that but it violates TOS .

Now if anyone can figure out how to get the local city recreational facility to change their terms of service so that I can have a monkey at my daughter's birthday party... That will really impress me.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@Metroplex360

I guess Photoshopping a monkey in the picture will not cut it?
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
New Brighton, PA
frstbubble private msg quote post Address this user
@Metroplex360 you know sometimes "it's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission." Rear Admiral Grace Murray Hopper
Post 11 IP   flag post
Gransky private msg quote post Address this user
I have tried every trick in the MP world! Sometimes you just have to say WTF and let it fly. I have spent way too much time trying to figure out how to avoid a mirror when it's absolutely impossible! 20 mins later, I just scan the scene with my camera in the mirror. If it can be avoided or disguised, we do it.

But with Sq Footage prices dropping like seagull poop on the Boardwalk, time becomes way more important than whether or not the MP camera is showing in the mirror.

And for what it's worth...I'm personally more annoyed at a tour that goes from eye sight to hip sight and back up just to avoid a mirror. I tell my guys to avoid cameras in the mirror, but if it can't be done, don't worry. But keep it consistent so the flow stays the same.
Post 12 IP   flag post
George_WALKINTOUR private msg quote post Address this user
@johnbecker is correct. Going low is the best way. I had a house like that the other day. I also usually try to placing it on the lowest setting for my tripod, then gradually elevate it as it captures each scan. I also try to target just before the mirror and after the mirror.

If you check out this model I did, in the master bedroom I had a similar issue with mirrors on 3 sides on a corner.

Post 13 IP   flag post
@Gransky

That is my exact thoughts on this. Sometimes I will scan the first one out of sight, the next one right in middle and finally out of mirror again. Later in workshop, I try to hide that scan but that doesn't work for the scan that has mirrors for walls. In that case, I just keep moving and hope they are smart enough to know it was unavoidable.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinv
@Metroplex360

I guess Photoshopping a monkey in the picture will not cut it?

Solution was to rent out a private pool They just want the monkey's liability insurance.

The monkey is cleaner than most of these kids will be.

@Gransky The hip level thing is weird. Honestly, the inability to edit or the lack of provision of a service by Matterport for camera removal is horrible. They are losing so much potential revenue and customer satisfaction.

I -can- offer this as a service albeit the tour has to be viewed via a proxy. I just cannot do that as it's time consuming, breaks terms of service, and the resulting tour has a bit of a latency issue due to proxying. My proof of concept is a very frustrating statement of -- "This is worth doing!!!!"
Post 15 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
VTLV private msg quote post Address this user
@JohnBecker has the best way to go on this.

@justinv - How the heck is there no mirror on that timberlinks tour? That's awesome! Too much time on editing?
Post 16 IP   flag post
101792 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?