Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Business PlanHelp WantedProblems

Managing clients expectations3018

ScanMan private msg quote post Address this user
I'm looking for constructive ways to help manage clients expectations and help avoid the situations Iv'e found myself in with 2 clients who have decided that after 2 solid days work that they don't like the models.

Their main concern is that the tours don't make their property look as large and spacious as the Photography their agents had provided for them.

These are the comments from 2 unhappy clients

I am sorry, but I am not very happy. I find the agents pictures look much better than the 3d. The 3d version has made the rooms seem much smaller, and the bathrooms minute.

With relation to this model
https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=vybeKqU5Us1&brand=0

And another -

We find the colour in general too ‘washed-out’, i.e. not saturated enough, particularly the outside. Can this be adjusted? - Considering that this is a house in Greece, where one expects bright sunshine and wonderful colours, it just does not impress and ’seduce' enough! In our eyes it seems quite imperative that this is improved.

with reference this model -

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=Vdkf1jUUma8&brand=0

Iv'e not experienced this type of feedback before and I wondering if anyone has some positive experiences in dealing with?

Im thinking that I need to prepare some documentation for clients ahead of a job explaining that Matterport is not an alternative to photography and it can't be compared as they are there to do separate jobs. Do people have any tips on helping avoid this situation with good explanations ? Does anyone use a form which they get clients to agree too ahead of commencing a scan?

I'd really like to help manage my clients expectations better.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Premium
North Palm Beach, FL
hometakes private msg quote post Address this user
I assume that you showed them a Matterport tour from another home? Can I also assume that you did not have them agree to a contract explaining the shortcomings such as no controllability over the images due to them being processed by the camera manufacturer?

It's always a huge mistake to do any job without taking some kind of payment upfront. That's easily explained to them; for your time that you are about to spend in their home. So asking for 50% now & 50% at the end is reasonable. We charge the whole amount before we step onto the property.

Looking at the two images, one of the photo and a screenshot from the tour, I would have explained to them that a buyer is going to be disappointed arriving at a home that they thought was large as it appeared in the photos but when they arrived is was disappointingly smaller. If they saw both prospectives, one from the photos and one from the 3D tour, they will get a TRUE sense of the home.

I would have told them that buyers that still want to view a home after they have seen both are more likely to make an offer. Those that arrive and feel let down and somewhat mislead because of super wide angle shots will go away with disappointment. That is what I would have told them because its the truth.

As an Ex-Real Estate Agent selling $150 million in a 3 year period, I can attest to what buyers (especially high end) think in those situations.... Now as a tour provider, I never do work without payment upfront. You still have to pay for your meal in a restaurant even if the steak was tougher than you like it. If you ordered rump steak, you don't get to walk out without paying a penny just because it was a bit tougher than you'd like it to be.....
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometakes
I assume that you showed them a Matterport tour from another home? Can I also assume that you did not have them agree to a contract explaining the shortcomings such as no controllability over the images due to them being processed by the camera manufacturer?

Correct - I have never relied on contracts in the past but this is making me think I should. Does anyone have examples or ideas of what a contract should include ? My sentiments are the same as yours. I would feel cheated if I was expecting a large bright and airy space which in reality only exists in photoshop.
Post 3 IP   flag post
srennick private msg quote post Address this user
@ScanMan I have an Expectations document I email to clients. I don't have them sign it, although I probably should. I've never had a problem with payment. The document describes what to expect with 3-D photography, our services, and what we expect from a client. I'll email you a copy.
Post 4 IP   flag post
ShahBatroukh private msg quote post Address this user
Those are some nice scans, actually! I can't offer anything regarding contracts, or client expectations, but I can tell you that your work is sound. The rooms don't look small, and if I were looking for a place to live, my expectations would not be inflated. In terms of color, and "washed out" is crazy. First of all you shot outdoors, which is hard to do, and it looks great. Secondly, if you compare this picturesque estate to a photo, the static, photoshopped photo will win every time. But with your scan, you can now have a perspective and a frame of reference to the property as a whole. It's like basing a dinner on the taste of the food only, and not considering the presentation, ambiance, hospitality, and price.
Lastly, you might want to add some mattertags if possible. This might help with the overall experience. Information seen in relation to the space distances your product from that of a photo. Just a thought. You should be proud of your work!
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN
Basic Member
Boston
Noddy private msg quote post Address this user
@Scanman, I agree that an expectations document is important to have,I need one also for MP scanning.

@srennick, you are smart to have developed this document, I use a similar one for discrete object scanning that we offer at my company, but haven't yet crafted one for MP. Would you consider sharing it with me also? I would greatly appreciate that!
Post 6 IP   flag post
GarySnyder private msg quote post Address this user
@Scanman,I think you did a great job as you covered the house to give any prospective client a real opportunity to see what the property looks like. I have to agree that Alexandra did look a little washed out but that's a MP issue and there's not a dam thing you can do about it. Saying that I certainly got the feeling of the house and any one else would do the same. As others have stated this is where some stills come into play and as we all know these shots are shot with a wide angle lens which of course make the room look much larger then they actually are. I guess the only way to avoid this in the future is to use Alexandra as a reference and if a prospective clients says that the walls look a little washed out then explain this can happen. All in all you did a great job and I'd have no problem with the models. Sometimes you just come across what I call the customers from Hell. BTW don't let them try to hammer you down. Make a copy of the model and upload it to MP. The models you sent to the client move them back to Private so they can't access them anymore and see what their response is. Good luck and let us know how you made out on both of these customers.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noddy
, you are smart to have developed this document, I use a similar one for discrete object scanning that we offer at my company, but haven't yet crafted one for MP. Would you consider sharing it with me also? I would greatly appreciate that!

Indeed @srennick- thats a fantastic idea and thank you for alerting me to your documents. I was aware of some of your products in Dans free package but i wasn't aware that you had such an extensive archive of resources. The expectations document is definitely what I need.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Viewing private msg quote post Address this user
Scabby clients unfortunately bud, they all exist in every part of the world. We take photos as part of our basic package to avoid any such issue. The photos we take are a true representation of the space. No wide lens, no conflict. Remember that agents will pay around £200 for an independent pro to come in and take the photos. If you can set a price point that includes photos and 3D tour in a bundle at a price that's not too far beyond £200 it may help avoid these kind of issues in the future because you have total control over the photos. Use lighting for both the photos and the tour, moving the lighting round to avoid being captured by the scan, and you might well have the perfect result.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Over the years of being a professional photographer and cinematographer Iv'e certainly come to expect more criticism and problems from owners and owner/developers of projects who usually have a long and established relationship with the space. Mainly because they have more emotion and certainly more money invested in a space than agents. When dealing with high value properties these owners tend to expect nothing less than perfection and perfection doesn't always exist. The one thing I can take away from this awkwardness is that managing the situation ahead of time with documents such as the ones @srennick customises for people is going to avoid this type of problem in the future.
Post 10 IP   flag post
JC3DCX private msg quote post Address this user
Both the home owners should be ashamed that they are trying to get a free meal at your expense.

The Alexandra owners complained about the scan being washed out, but the whole property could do with a bit of color on the walls :-).

Can see a lot of your time went into Bellerbe, and prospective buyers would have been able to see what they would get for their $$$ instead of being misled by photos and feeling cheated when visiting in person.

This have been a lesson in the school of life,
Post 11 IP   flag post
Integratedman private msg quote post Address this user
Turnip heads!..comparing apples and oranges...sadly unhappy judgemental folks reside everywhere..looks to me like you did a excellent job, presenting pictures that distort the reality of the space as previously noted above only makes a potential buyer unhappy, this scan gives a solid understanding of space and flow..I do as well ask for 50% before i start, unless I have a long term relationship with client. It is unfortunate that you are put into this position, but rest comfortably you delivered a solid product that used correctly would deliver a qualified buyer!
Post 12 IP   flag post
walk360 private msg quote post Address this user
@srennick Could you please also email me a copy if that document... I'm having issues with one customer right now about the same... 3D model not looking as bright as pictures ;(

thanks
@ScanMan I saw your videos and I like them!
Post 13 IP   flag post
3SixtyNow private msg quote post Address this user
@srennick Could I get a copy of your document as well? I'm just starting out and would hate to not live up to the clients expectations.
Thank you!!!
Post 14 IP   flag post
GardinerW private msg quote post Address this user
@srennick - I would also love a copy if the offer still stands. Just establishing myself and wish to protect myself and manage expectations from the outset. Thanks! @scanman - I feel your pain, I am primarily a videographer / editor that has had a couple of bad apple clients along the way - one in particular is an agency whose client is using my video on their website that the agency has not fully paid for. The agency claims they delayed payment because they wanted changes though it was approved and delivered to their client months ago! Outrageous behavior... In regards to your scans, which looked good to me, I think the other thing that can be discussed is that Matterport is a great tool for giving the prospective buyer a feel for the house flow without being there vs. trying to compete with touched up and somewhat misleading / disconnected static photos.
Post 15 IP   flag post
E3D private msg quote post Address this user
@srennick Could I get a copy of your document as well? I just ordered my camera and would like to cover myself and insure the happiness and clients expectations.
Thank you!!! E3Dvirtual@gmail.com TIA
Post 16 IP   flag post
Property3dNZ private msg quote post Address this user
@ScanMan You can't please everyone. I previously was a real estate photographer and I try to use this to my advantage by saying that I choose to start shooting with MP rather than doing real estate photography for a number of reasons.... first off MP is incredible technology that opens the market place up to a much wider audience, secondly because I disliked deceiving people by shooting with wide lenses which set un achievable expectations for purchasers. I tell my clients the benefit of MP is that you can't modify anything so consequently they are marketing the property in an honest way - what you see is what you get. I have had bad feedback once and honestly it ripped my heart out! I was gutted but as I said earlier - you can't please everyone!
Post 17 IP   flag post
101429 17 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?