Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
3D ShowcaseVirtual Reality

VR Gear advice needed2892

Belfast, United Kingdom
3dshowcaseuk private msg quote post Address this user
OK, So I am completely new to the whole VR thing, just been doing showcases until now

We have a trade show next week and would like to demonstrate the VR capability of our showcases

From what I see online most of the Gear VR need a samsung phone, which NONE of us own

Can you guys out there pleaase recommend the best gear and a good price to do our job.

Should we buy a second hand samsung phone and VR Gear or is there one unit that does all

Please send model number as we would like to get these ordered asap

Thanks

Mark
Post 1 IP   flag post
Jamie private msg quote post Address this user
You can use a Google cardboard or similar type of vr headset (vr box do a nice cheap one)
The field of view isn't as good as the gear vr however. It's one of those "you get what you pay for" kind of things.
It depends on what the end result you are trying to achieve is. I give out branded vr box glasses with my Tours. It pretty good and for a person that hasn't experience vr before, it's sure to impress. If however they have used a gear vr or better they will give it a so so review.
If an agent is presenting a property or you are trying to sell a scan, use the best equipment you can get. I'd recommend a note 4 for this. They are a few years old now so you should be able to pick them up for a good price. The note 5 is slightly better but being a newer phone, expect to pay more. You can always go down to the smaller samsung phone range and that may be suitable as well.
It basically comes down to your budget and use.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Putten NLD
DannyBasting private msg quote post Address this user
I have to agree with Jamie. Google cardboard's are great to give away to potential clients. If you're going to demo it yourself however, I'd invest in the better hardware.

I got a galaxy S6 combined with a Gear VR myself, and the "wow factor" to first time VR users is amazing. So try to pick up a cheap Note 4 like Jamie suggested, or even a S6. The Note would be preferable due to the bigger field of view though.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Acomeau15 private msg quote post Address this user
@3dshowcaseuk

Easy done, The gear VR retails for something like $99 USD or the older model (I'd recommend at $69.99 - sale)

Once you've got yourself the headset ordered I'd checkout Gumtree for a second hand S6 or S7, usually you can find one in perfect condition at a lower price. This method will save you money but ensure due diligence on the quality of the screen and that the phone's paperwork / warranty is in order.

I would recommend picking up a chrome cast as well if you are planning for tradeshow use, being able to mirror out what a user is currently seeing will not only help you help them navigate but will easily encourage engagement from people passing by.

Goodluck,
Alex
Post 4 IP   flag post
VRPM private msg quote post Address this user
Google cardboard is fine but as a vr experience, it's way off the gear VR. If you want to wow people at the trade show, you'll have to go all out and buy a gear VR. If you are going to go for it, you may as well get a sim free galaxy s7 which come with a free gear VR at the moment. At least this way you'll be future proof which you won't be if you buy an older Samsung model. I've used both cardboard and gear VR extensively and trust me, gear VR is far superior.
Post 5 IP   flag post
3dinsights private msg quote post Address this user
Agree with the others, Gear VR for demo purposes for that WOW factor. I was in the same situation as you, no Samsung, ended up getting a second hand S6.

Leave them with a cardboard so they can still experience it after your initial meeting.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Jamie private msg quote post Address this user
If you want to blow them away, get a note 7
Post 7 IP   flag post
josephthomp private msg quote post Address this user
@Jamie hahaha
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
New Brighton, PA
frstbubble private msg quote post Address this user
@Jamie literally hehe
Post 9 IP   flag post
101436 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?