Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 823 Unique Visitors
9,049 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,558 Page Views | 18,831 Unique Visitors | 30 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
3D ShowcaseNavigation

How smart are people?271

RenderingSpace private msg quote post Address this user
One of my biggest frustrations when it comes to providing Matterport Virtual Tours as a service is that most people just aren't that tech savvy.

And even with basic things, most people struggle.

I'd like to submit my first piece of evidence:

One day I'll have an angry client frustrated that he can't view his tour on his home computer running Windows XP. The next, I'll have someone mad that it took me 3 hours to scan the property rather than 30 minutes like their "normal photographer".

Lately, I've been wondering if most people are aware of and even capable of using the Matterport Navigation icons. Maybe we assume that it's obvious but I'm willing to bet that lots of people go to our tours on MLS and don't even know what they're seeing.

Here's a little post I did on the subject:
http://www.renderingspace.com/matterport-virtual-tour-icons/

What are your thoughts?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Jamie private msg quote post Address this user
Yep I get that as well.

I had a computer business in the 90's
I would sell and install a new computer and show them how to use it. Lots didn't like my explanation because it was "technical"
I ended up taking my dumb ex wife and she started by saying "this is called a mouse"
I would roll my eyes, but they loved her.
Moral of the story, most people are computer idiots
Post 2 IP   flag post
JohnBecker private msg quote post Address this user
It's been suggested in other threads that Matterport should add a "?" icon to the showcase, to lead users to a quick guide to the icons and keyboard commands.
Post 3 IP   flag post
ToddRuhl private msg quote post Address this user
It is a little disappointing that Matterport doesn't provide better support to the end-user, i.e. help screen, 30 second video tutorial, etc. The biggest objection I get from potential users (the general public) is the intimidation factor. They think touring the model looks "difficult" and they aren't "tech savvy." Anyone ever consider creating a short "how-to" video aimed at the end-user? I like John's idea of the "?" icon for help.
Post 4 IP   flag post
We are about to make 2 short how to videos. One for the pc/Mac and the other for mobile devices.
Will be happy to share with everyone once it's done
Post 5 IP   flag post
Jamie, yeah that's a solid idea.

As I've said before, the 10-20 seconds of load time do feature basic instructions but I think there's enormous potential to further instruct the users in that dead time.
Post 6 IP   flag post
CarlosFHdz private msg quote post Address this user
I could not believe those are real people instead of actors.
The videos was taken in 2009, I hope people are more tech savvy now than 5 years ago, but I doubt that's the case. I too run into similar issues, to include why can't you scan the outside at noon? Managing customer expectations is big part.
@ToddRuhl , I'm working on a how to for the end user. Taking ipad video for starters, I believe ipad/tablet is the best viewing experience for MP showcase.

Carlos.
Post 7 IP   flag post
alx3D private msg quote post Address this user
With Tim's help we are in the process of making a general how to video with professional voice over and everything. I will share when we finish!
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Jamie We use @Tim to create "How the 3D Showcase looks on an iPad" videos like these.

While it does not solve the puzzle, for laptops and desktops, it's a start and our clients them.

Yes. "?" for help would be a nice start.

Dan
Post 9 IP   flag post
Ok Will check it out thanks Dan
We will still do a version for both platforms and share for everyone as well.
Something we shouldn't need to do however. A little more support would be nice.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Here's a rough start using @tim 's method.

I know @Tim produces higher quality video and with @Alx3d Video's, I'm sure that will be awesome.

Carlos.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Marcel private msg quote post Address this user
Thats what prompted us to create our own 'skin' for the viewer so that we could display some help (and other info). We want to include a help video in this space at some time too. Maybe one of Tim's awesome videos.

Sample model
Post 12 IP   flag post
Mat private msg quote post Address this user
@Marcel I love what you have done. That is really impressive. How is your upload section for your site? Is it similar to what Ross is offering?
Post 13 IP   flag post
@marcel , that's a great idea for desktop use.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Marcel private msg quote post Address this user
It's a complete stand alone content, customer, scan, invoice management portal. Simply login and start entering your scans. No setup required.

We developed it for ourself to manage our scan jobs and for our customer to login and manage their scans (instead of calling us each day cause they forgot the link). We opened it up other MP users a while back (we have a few using it now). Not trying to money out of it but figured if others could benefit from it.

@CarlosFHdz works good on tablet too. Not so much on mobiles. But we have multiple skins for our clients to choose from, some more adapted to mobiles.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Aussie ingenuity at work
Post 16 IP   flag post
alx3D private msg quote post Address this user
Here is the how to video i mentioned earlier. Combo of @tim's ipad video and computer screen capture video for an all in one how to. Anyone is free to use it if you want.

https://youtu.be/nKtvRtX9vzY
Post 17 IP   flag post
@Alx3d and @tim thanks, that's awesome. Good work guys.
Post 18 IP   flag post
This looks great and very professional. I've already put it on my home page. Thanks!
Post 19 IP   flag post
Tim private msg quote post Address this user
To get one of the above videos check out www.ticketyview.com/ipadvideodemos
Post 20 IP   flag post
101602 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?