Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
GearGimbalsStabilizerZillow

Zillow Certified Photographer Program2589

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
This week, I was recruited - and joined - the free Zillow Certified Photographer Program using the Zillow Video Walkthrough feature in the free Zillow app.

Benefits to Real Estate Agents

1. win more listing presentations
2. get more listings
3. get bigger listings

Features for Real Estate Agents

1. Zillow curates listings higher in search that include a two minute Zillow Video Walkthrough
2. More views
3. More engagement

Benefits to Photographers

1. opportunity to upsell or bundle
2. opportunity to (easily) add video to your services
3. sample video so agents want your high-end video services

Features for Photographers

1. potential inclusion in Zillow marketing
2. Free
3. easy (use the Zillow app to record up to a two minute video)

To learn more about the Zillow Certified Photographer Program, watch:

1. this Webinar (22 minutes)
2. this Tutorial (15 minutes)

Note: I could imagine that Members of the Forum that are professional videographers - I am not - may be skeptical of creating a two minute video that can only be shot with the Zillow app on a smartphone and edited in the cloud by Zillow. The challenge is that the only video that Zillow (and its sister company, Trulia, will highlight in listings are videos shot with their app.

Going forward, We Get Around Atlanta will add Zillow Video Walkthroughs to our bundle ...

Are you a Member of the Zillow Certified Photographer Program? What has been your experience?

If you are a professional videographer and skeptical of the Zillow Certified Photographer Program, why?

By the way, later today (9 September 2016), I will buy this DJI OSMO mobile handheld stabilizer Gimbal to use with my new (coming soon) Apple iPhone 7 Plus.

While this is a pricy mobile stabilizer gimble - here's a low cost solution – I like that the high-end one has a lot of options/accessories.

Best,

Dan

Related

PFRE ( 28 July 2016) What's A Zillow Certified Photographer?
Post 1 IP   flag post
cire385 private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for the info on Zillow Dan.

I have recently bought the DJI OSMO with the zenmuse x3 camera. Absolutely love it. Got some great footage from a recent trip in the Rockies.

I bought it for filming properties. (Thats what I told my wife)

Some things to consider when buying the phone stabilizer vs the one with the built-in camera. Both provide the same stabilized 3 axes gimbal. The one with the built in x3 (Equivalent to the latest GoPro) or the higher price x5 Micro 4/3 does allow you to control the movement of the camera from the DJI app on your phone.

Advantage is you can set the camera down using the tripod or a slider and film a smooth panning shot while controlling the movement of the camera from your phone.

The x3 & x5 do film in D-Log for those that like to color grade in post to get the full look and feel for what they are trying to accomplish.

Disadvantage of corse is the cost and limitation on using only the DJI cameras.

All in with the x3 and DJI tripod I was out $569 for the rig and $100 for the tripod.

$1999 for the high end x5, and $3699 if you want the x5 big brother that shoots 4k raw.

I do like the fact that when ever Samsung & Apple come out with “The best phone we have ever made” you have the latest and greatest phone camera on the market. The iPhone 7 camera is defiantly impressive form what I have seen so far.

Somethings to conciser when finding what works for you.

I love that stabilization that used to only be affordable to big hollywood is now available to the prosumer market!

Hope this helps anyone looking into this technology.

Please feel free to take down or move if this is off topic from your original subject.

Eric

Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@cire385

Excellent addition the discussion.

Sounds like I had to make a similar pitch to our 'CFO' before I woke-up at 2:45 am to buy new his/her iPhone 7 Plus and her iPhone 7.

Please do not tell her about the OSMO Mobile purchase. Let's just call that a rounding error.

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
VTLV private msg quote post Address this user
I just finished the webinar and want to mount my phone on a tripod, aim it at the TV and hit play on my highlight reel from Matterport and see if it takes. I assume the odds will be low.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@VTLV

HaHa! Very clever idea. I know you are kidding - you are kidding or at least half kidding, right?

Well, minutes after your post, a representative of Zillow reached out to me to say no-can-do.

Actually, he said:

"I noticed someone responded by saying they’d film a Matterport walkthrough from another camera (which does not fall within our guidelines and would be taken down by our moderators)."

Obviously, they did not appreciate your sense-of-humor. You were kidding? .... (though I was thinking, "why didn't I think of that!?"

Apparently, you must use the Zillow app to record the actual walkthrough.

The "no-no" list includes:

✓ "Videos that are recordings of a screen playing another video"

Here are the:

Zillow Video Walkthrough Guidelines
Welcome to the Zillow Certified Photographer Program

Enjoy your weekend.

Best,

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
Yeah, I was kidding. Figured my kids fingerprints would end up back on the TV when I hit record and that would give it away. lol

Looks like this is a back peddle to how Virtual Tours Las Vegas started. Walking into houses for out of state investors who didn't have time to fly into town to see a house. Giving a step above site unseen offers.

Shouldn't be difficult for all of us to do with less shaky technology now. Nice up sell we can offer.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Founder
Nail Soup Media
Sarasota, Florida
GlennTremain private msg quote post Address this user
The other thing about this is that listings with this included get more views in zillows' web site search. It helps the listing to "Trending."
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Related We Get Around Forum Discussion

Zillow Walkthrough Videos
Zillow Video "Walk-Through"

Dan
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Every time I shoot, I learn something new.

I shot a Zillow Walkthrough Video Today (Tuesday, 13 September 2016) and learned the following:

1. I must buy a wide-angle lens for my iPhone 7 Pro when it arrives. (I shot today's video with my iPhone 6)
2. I wish this gimbal had arrived in time for this shoot; I used this instead
3. Watch out for window; they can easily be "blown-out"
4. Slower pan
5. Watch-out for unintentional selfies (outside window)

It would be great if Zillow added a way to practice with your own home with everything working, EXCEPT publishing with a public link.

While my video pales to a professionally shot video, what matters here is the prominence Zillow gives to video. Just look at this screen grab showing the play button as the fist thing that grabs your eye.

What did you learn when you watched this video shot with the required Zillow app?

Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
I shot one yesterday and found the program to feel glitchy in starting and stops. Got a little worried a shot took trying to get a replay and instead the scene got submitted by taping the screen twice. Really need to watch for lighting before shooting a scene. Even trying to glide a shot forward, got some shake in the scene. I'll still offer it emphasizing this is an add on and shot in an app with Zillow. Not sure about investing in glide gimble until business can gain some momentum.
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@VTLV

Thanks for sharing your experience. I would love to see the Zillow video to your video. Can you post it to this discussion?

I anticipate that we will add the Zillow Video Walkthrough to the We Get Around Atlanta bundle rather than an optional extra, once we do some more testing with our existing clients.

Our client was thrilled that we offered to do this at no charge for a listing that We Get Around Atlanta ( @YairYepez ) scanned recently. (www.1948northsidedrive.info)

About investing in a wide-angle lens and gimbal for the iPhone 7 Pro, we want to provide an awesome experience that will continue to differentiate us, generate referrals and have raving fans as clients (to help us get more clients).

Best,

Dan
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
Alright, here's a video I made about the experience. Understand our winds are 20 - 25 mph offering some shake. The home is already in contract, so doing things like closing the toilet lid were not on the priority list.

Zillow Listing page

Thinking about doing another shoot with the Ipad Air 2 instead of the Samsung Phone on a magic rig. More $ out the door for another mount.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Am I understanding this right that it can only be shot on a cell phone using the Zillow App?
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@cire385

Yes. It can only be shot with the Zillow iOS or Android app.

Dan
Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@VTLV

Thank you for annotating the video so we can see your "notes" about the experience.

Dan
Post 15 IP   flag post
Thanks, now I see how valuable the new DJI Osmos for phones will be! Thanks for staying on top of things Dan!
Post 16 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by @VTLV
... Not sure about investing in glide gimbal until business can gain some momentum.

I can not imagine NOT buying a gimbal like this for my (coming soon) iPhone 7 Pro for this two minute video experience.

We want our clients to be raving fans that continue to engage us, refer us and love getting reference calls for us.

For this video experience, a wide-angle lens and gimbal are essential tools for creating Zillow Video Walkthrough experiences.

Dan
Post 17 IP   flag post
Mikesobay private msg quote post Address this user
I'm not seeing any value in signing up for this at the moment. The quality certainly wouldn't be acceptable in most situations and it seems that these walk throughs would appeal only to the low-end property market, which is not where I find any interest in MP or in quality photography.

Am I overlooking something that I shouldn't be?
Post 18 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Mikesobay

Yes. This has nothing to do with the quality of the video.

I will be the first one to tell you my video is CRAPPY. But, we got to jump into the deep end of the pool and sink or swim within the Zillow Video Walkthrough experience.

This is all about helping your client get the most traffic, that translates to the most offers to sell the house faster for the most money by:

✓ getting more views
✓ getting more calls
✓ getting more "saves" of which houses to re-visit

Zillow ONLY features video made with THEIR app. Spend all you want on gear, training, 10,000 hours. It doesn't matter.

For all videographers with lots of expensive gear, too-bad-so-sad. The rules just changed. Zillow gets to write their own rules about how to move listings up in Zillow search with THEIR video solution. VIDEO shot with their app is featured with a giant play button. Period. (By the way, Matterport should be focused on getting that same play button real estate. That will sell cameras.)

We'll support this solution and do our best to make the video as good as it can be within the constraints of the app.

That's the playing field.

Best,

Dan
Post 19 IP   flag post
JonJ private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod,
From my understanding, the Osmo mobile stabilizer is only compatible with certain video apps. Do you know for certain that it will function with the zillow video capture app? I want to be sure this rig will work before upgrading from my current stabilizer.
Thanks,
Jon
Post 20 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@JonJ

Yikes!

That's a great question.

I do not know.

Zillow? Are you listening?

Dan
Post 21 IP   flag post
Ahh Jon has a point. You have to record using the DJI app to operate the Osmos from my understanding. That is the case with x3 & x5 Osmos camera and I believe I saw in one of DJI promo videos you connect this one using the app.
Post 22 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Post 23 IP   flag post
LewisBishop private msg quote post Address this user
I just ordered the Osmo Mobile... hopefully it'll work. Zillow's video is a pain in the neck... it's like they want crappy content.
Post 24 IP   flag post
JonJ private msg quote post Address this user
Here is a link to an example video that was given to me when I inquired about becoming Zillow certified photographer.

example video

Also, please note, that there is a regular cinematic video for the listing which was very well done.
Post 25 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@LewisBishop

If Zillow marketing came to the conclusion that video:

✓ gets more views
✓ gets more calls
✓ gets more "saves" of which houses to re-visit

Then, the conclusion is how does Zillow get a TON of videos AND make that a competitive advantage of search Zillow. If you look at the pool of potential videos as as an iceberg, the tip above the water are Pro shot videos. That said, 90 percent of the iceberg is below water. That's the masses - any and everyone with a smartphone. That's simply brilliant thinking or at least courageous thinking.

While we (all) might have a heart attack arguing about quality of the video, it is not about quality.

It's about creating a tool that empowers photographers and agents - anyone - to easily, quickly and affordably create video that is exclusively available for Zillow (and Zillow companies such as Trulia).

It's actual big picture, bold thinking by Zillow visionaries to make video - shot by the masses - via their app a top priority: so much so, that an image is reserved for promoting, shoot a video for this listing.

I could imagine that other real estate portals will do the same. Obviously, it would be nice if they said Matterport is our choice. Given that News Corp. (Realtor.com) recently announced a strategic investment in Matterport, I could imagine this is EXACTLY the thinking. Trump Zillow video with Matterport front and center.

if that's the case, then FINALLY, Matterport is helping create demand for the Matterport Pro community.

Best,

Dan