Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,033 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
GardenOutdoors

Help Scanning Outdoors and Gardens Please2554

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
[@Baxter I moved your question from the New to MUG thread here. - Dan]

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Baxter

I've [...] had problems scanning outdoors/gardens. I can get one or two steps outside the front/back door and it won't let me scan any further. It seems logical to possibly draw the outer edge of the outside space as a window because it may not have enough reference points but I'm a noob and haven't got round to trying it yet so any advice before I waste a load of time doing the wrong things would be much appreciated.

I want to offer the service to places with large outdoor areas so knowing how to do it before I think about creating an example would be good.

Overall though, what an awesome bit of kit and thanks to Matterport!

Cheers,
Baxter
Post 1 IP   flag post
Omaha, NE
judysmithre private msg quote post Address this user
I am curious what the best solution is too.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Viewing private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod Thanks for setting up the thread, Dan. Much appreciated. With regards to my question, it may help if I tell you my ultimate goal is to offer walk-throughs of golf courses to help players plan their round. I've visited countless courses for the first time and played a howler because you know nothing about the course. Perhaps as much down to my ability as the lack of prior knowledge but yeah, I think that'd really help players on the whole.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

@Baxter While it is possible to shoot large spaces outdoors (I scanned the gardens above), there are better (easier, faster and cost effective) solutions for scanning outdoors, including immoviewer and Real.Vision ...

While Matterport's new 360º Views solution for outdoors is great for a few scans for the outdoors of a house for sale, it is not a practical solution for shooting a golf course.

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
GarySnyder private msg quote post Address this user
For those who don't understand how the camera works one of the sensors that uses to determine alignment is infrared which is exactly what the sun generates so if the camera can see the sun it will not align properly and generate an alignment error. There is no way around this.

What you see in many of the models shot with the cameras are photographers being clever and shooting out of the suns direct view and in most cases this will allow you to capture the shot but not always. You can get caught out with the sun even coming in through a window or bouncing off a shiny surface. Some MSP’s have experiences this when they have a hole in a floor which they can see the scan point below and this is normally caused by the sun interfering with the shot.

The short answer to your question in regards to shooting a golf course is to shoot it with a DSLR on a pano head and manually connect the pano just like a Google Street View shoot.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

@Baxter

For such a HUGE space - a golf course - you might consider a Helmet Cam as shared in this MUG Forum thread.

Using the Google Street View app set to record every five seconds + paired with a Ricoh Theta S using this "clamp" to attach it to helmut, you could deliver to your clients, a Google Golf Course View experience.

Other Forum Members are likely to have other ways to approach this fun challenge.

Best,

Dan

P.S. I do not recommend attaching the Matterport Camera to the Helmut ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by @CarlosFHdz

Here's a rough. I imagine alignment would suffer due to head tilting, as well as neck and back strain. But it's part of the job.
Post 6 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
Dan, Gary
On a side note that ties into this topic and would resolve part of this issue would have the ability to download the 360 view photos so like Gary said you could take the panoramic views and build a model in Kolor Panotouror or some other software. If this is not a current option than this request should be added to the want list sent to Matterport.

Ron
Post 7 IP   flag post
GarySnyder private msg quote post Address this user
I agree with @ron0987 that is the simplest way if you can gain access to the pano from the MP scan. I'm not sure how MP will charge you as I'm sure you will have to take many 360's of the golf course. Has anyone approach MP on this one, do they count 360's as SP or are they a freebee?
Post 8 IP   flag post
Gary,
I have asked if the 360 views are included in number of scans and have not got an answer. But in the golf course it would be nice to scan the club house and then use Mattertags and link to an overlay of the golf course and then tag each tee off and hole with a 360 view. Oh ya Mattertag's with this option is still not available, (yes I know it is still available in a beta version, no release date yet).

Ron
Post 9 IP   flag post
JonJ private msg quote post Address this user
@GarySnyder and @ron0987,

When the 360 views were first released, I did a 'test' scan that consisted of two 360 views and one 3D Scan. I was under the impression that I would not be charged for this 'test' since there was only 1 3D Scan when I uploaded it. When I went back later to my account page. I saw that I was in fact charged for the 'test' scan. While I did not contact Matterport about this, I am assumming that the two 360 view scans were added to the 3D scan for a total of 3 scans, which exceed the 2 scans that qualify for the free test scan processing.

Hope this helps!
Jon
Post 10 IP   flag post
Thank you for the information.

Ron
Post 11 IP   flag post
Omaha, NE
judysmithre private msg quote post Address this user
I want to do our golf course. Anyone with advice how best to do it? Do the scans have to connect?
Post 12 IP   flag post
@judysmithre, there is no way to do a complete golf course as a walk thru tour with Matterport. From my view the best way would be do the club house as a independent tour. Use Mattertags to hyperlink a map of the golf course, you can only do this if you are a current beta tester for Mattertags. Then tag each hole's tee off point and hole with a 360 degree view. You would have the primary tour with the ability to see a 360 degree view from several points in the course. But again in Matterport no way to do that yet. So like Gary pointed out you can use a DSLR and either a Gigapan motorized camera 360 adapter, or Nodalninja manual 360 tripod adapter and build a tour thru software like Kolor Panotour. If you are an Iphone 6 user you may consider using Insidemaps, great Matterport competition. Hunter in this link clickable text has a system that does out door photos with their rotator. Hunter is a great resource and if you have a map of the course would probably help with the setup. I think these are just a couple of ways to accomplish this, but at this time I do not see a Matterport resolution, at this time. I hope others chime in, but this is what I see as a resolution. Sorry for the long answer.

Ron
Post 13 IP   flag post
Viewing private msg quote post Address this user
Hi guys,

Thanks for all of your input on this. The Ricoh Theta S with immoviewer looks to be a fantastic alternative for something like a golf course or an outdoor venue/attraction. Thank you all very much.
Post 14 IP   flag post
101437 14 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?