Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceStrategyVirtual Reality

VR and how this is being used?2353

Cabrahams private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Everyone,

So I had a conversation w Dan a couple of weeks ago regarding VR and how to get up and running (Dan I have to ask that you refrain from responding as I would like to other additional opinions).

I purchased a basic cardboard headset through Amazon, went to the Verizon store yesterday to see about getting an additional Samsung phone and how much it would cost, etc. But then I held off.

I just couldn't figure out how this would be used. If we convert an existing model to VR how would this be up-sold? That we would hope that the agent could then promote this and tell his clients or random people that "if" they had a Samsung phone and "if" they had vr goggles, and "if" they downloaded an app, then they could check out this new technology?

Again, I'm just trying to figure out how to actually use this other than to say this is what's coming as that doesn't help.

I'm hoping that this technology would really be better to sell to commercial brokers or for commercial spaces, but HOW?

Many thanks!
Post 1 IP   flag post
HarlanHambright private msg quote post Address this user
I too am skeptical about all this. Reminds me of the various times stereo imaging and 360 bubbles have come and gone. I have some folks who are barely able to navigate a Showcase model, so wearing all that stuff?
Post 2 IP   flag post
3D Renderings
AEC Elevation Drawings
Montreal, Québec
ArchimedStudio private msg quote post Address this user
I also bought a Gear VR + a Samsung S7 (that I never use, except for when I make a sales pitch with VR, right before I tell the agent it's way too expensive for them - great way to get people excited for nothing!!).

Recently, I also bought a Google Cardboard, because, why not! After "investing" that much money on the Gear VR and S7, it would be stupid not to spend the extra $20 (or $25, I can't remember) and see how both products compare.
On a side note, I do prefer the Gear VR exprience, but for $20, the cardboard is pretty awesome, plus it is compatible with many phones I think.

To get back to your question... First I don't know how this can even start to lift off in real-estate if the conversion costs remain so high (yes, MP2VR is a lot cheaper than Matterport, but realtors already grouse about paying a few hundred $$ for a tour). Then, like you said, there is the practicality of it (all the "ifs" you mentioned).

We did sell a few VR conversions, but not in the real-estate business.

If someone found a way that works well for real-estate, I'm all ears (or eyes!).

Matt
Post 3 IP   flag post
Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
Queen_City_3D private msg quote post Address this user
If you set up a booth in a trade show, the VR is a great way to attract people to your booth so that you can discuss your services.

I don't really think there's great real estate applications... mainly because of cost, but I can certainly see business uses.

The one that really comes to mind is travel/tourism. If you are a resort somewhere and want to have people come to you, why not show them what you have to offer on Virtual Reality.

I saw a travel company that was doing just that. They had a few headsets loaded with resort destinations and you could preview the accommodations and beaches. I thought that was slick.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Cabrahams private msg quote post Address this user
Just happened to see this guy on the T in Boston just now. Pretty obvious he wasn't walking though a 3D property tour. Ha!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Orange, California
craigsauer private msg quote post Address this user
I have the same concerns. I haven't taken the plunge yet and bought the fancy VR gear, but I did buy a Google Cardboard and have played with that with my phone. It's definitely cool, but there's no way I can sell realtors on the cost to convert.

I should have one VR conversion coming next month, for a museum exhibit. I did free scan of a cool piece of Los Angeles history that is related to an exhibit a local musuem is having next month. So they are paying (or having a sponsor pay) to have the VR conversion of it done and have the VR setup as part of the exhibit. It's a cool use of the technology, because the space I scanned is really cool and photographs of it don't paint the complete picture.

BUT: that's not a business model for adding VR to a Matterport business.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
Matterport VR should be free. It's a bell and whistle feature that they need to offer to stay competitive.

Upload a Street View tour with Ricoh Theta S and you can view in VR with Street View.
Post 7 IP   flag post
101429 7 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?