Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
APIDeveloper ProgramMatterXportSDK

Announcing: MatterXport2224

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroplex360
TrustedPhotoDC A few things.

#1) Matterport is looking to add GPS to tours based on address information added manually in Workshop.

#2) I've put in a suggestion that people seem to like to use Google Earth data as the background instead of a black background for the Dollhouse as an idea. Showing where a home is on a map in the tour is a pretty good idea.

#3) GPS data on each tour would allow a Matterport tour to be convertable to Google StreetView.

#4) If I want a photosphere, I can visit the MatterXport page and download a full high-resolution photographic panorama that is already stitched in horizontal cross format. They are far larger than 2MP as each cubeface is 1024x1024 pixels. 1024 x 6 = 6 Megapixels, right?

--

As a sidenote, I wanted to give @GarySnyder an endorsement. When I read this thread, it begged the question 'Where is he getting the image data from to build these?' I made MatterXport to answer that question for myself and was hesitant to make it publically available.

I realized that even with a tool like this, MP2VR's pricing is ridiculously awesome as the amount of time necessary to stitch together a tour from the RAW data, coupled with the apps and availability on both Gear VR and Cardboard = An amazing product. So MP2VR gets my two thumbs up on price and product.
Post 26 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustedPhotoDC
metroplex360

My numbers were off, I had stitched exported jpegs a few months ago and tossed the project folder as the quality was so low.

Size = 3216 x 1608 = 5171328 pixels
Megapixels = 5.17 Megapixels
Aspect ratio = 2.00

#1) Just copy and paste lat/long. It's just more metadata.

#2) Have you looked at Google Maps API? FYI The Google Earth API has been deprecated as of December 12th, 2014. The API will shut down by end of 2016, and will continue to work on supported browsers until that date.

#3) Street View has never used GPS for adding imagery. GPS locations are established after a CID is added to the map, and the CID is tied to lat/long. Street View appears by the closest photosphere to the lat/long. Spacial uploading is brand new and I'm net even sure it is working correctly in the app. It is not on desktop.

#4) 1024 x 1024 is 1.05MP so 6MP is a still a long way from 14MP.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod - "You have provided the Holy Grail...". Wow! Dan, that is so kind of you! I'm so thrilled that you are so excited about this! I too am excited about the APIs/SDK. You know, there is a link to the REST API endpoints that you can reach from inside Matterxport! I used it to make my Wordpress Plugin after stumbling upon it while reviewing the source. Perhaps the API already exists, they just haven't announced it or provided us documentation! Please note, it's not the API/SDK that is providing the direct links to download the assets. You can see all that it provide.

@Noel Thanks

@Marcel and @ron0987 Thank you . I'm humbled that you think I should add a donate button. It -really- isn't necessary, but I've added one if anyone feels that they would like to buy me a cup of coffee

@TrustedPhotoDC - Each cube size is 1024 pixels squared. Am I wrong in saying it's 6 megapixels per scene? But yes, 6MP is a LONG way from 14MP for sure. It's 6 more MP than we as a community had previously
Post 28 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
Have a great cup on me. This shows several people that there is more to what Matterport can do or learn from users. Whether they choose to or don't, is the question but just maybe they will see that among the user are good ideas and good feedback that works.

Thank you
Ron
Post 29 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@ron0987 Thank you
Post 30 IP   flag post

Frisco, Texas
Just added 2nd and 3rd floor image/DXF downloads. I had only been testing on apartment models... realized that these were missing and were found under the 'junk' list
Post 31 IP   flag post
BayAreaAdam private msg quote post Address this user
Boy, I wish I understood what you guys are talking about!
Post 32 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@BayAreaAdam Just try it out

http://www.metroplex360.com/matterxport/

You can download all of the panoramas from your tour and VERY large floorplan images There are DXF files that can be opened with CAD that are 2D Floorplans too They are kinda rough, but might prove VERY useful for someone making clean line drawings.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
I just made a tiny update after examining cloud.zip. The contained cloud.xyz file is just a full list of scan data... not the original data (as a whole) that is uploaded to Matterport's servers.
Post 34 IP   flag post
smcclell private msg quote post Address this user
@bayareaadam seriously just click on the original post link and put in the end of the public model you have then click a button. Its that easy..give it a go.
Post 35 IP   flag post
@Metroplex360 Thanks for replying. You operate on another level! I didn't even know there WERE panoramas....
Post 36 IP   flag post
@smcclell I was looking for a link in the original post and didn't see one. I then went to Metroplex360's site and couldn't find it there either. He did provide it though a few hours ago. Very impressive!
Post 37 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Updated with list of parameters, ability to refresh tour with parameters. Added mention of the Developer Mode (Konami). Added information on showing # of views using javascript in a new window.

Phew. Need to get more sleep.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Blue-Sketch
Founder
New Orleans, LA
PetraSoderling private msg quote post Address this user
Awesome work @metroplex360. Floor plan w/ scale saves me many steps when drawing 2D floor plans for you guys. Thank you <3
Post 39 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Hi All.

Sorry to bring bad news, but I've been asked to close the service. The Matterport team is AWESOME and their MAIN concern is with the privacy of their users. They are not concerned with people downloading their own assets -- they are concerned with people downloading OTHER user's assets. As my tool makes this too easy to do, they've asked it to be taken down.

I'm working with them and hoping that I can bring it back online.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Noel private msg quote post Address this user
@Metroplex360 What a shame! This was and is a REALLY great service. I am sure you could password protect the site.
Post 41 IP   flag post
smcclell private msg quote post Address this user
We saw that coming! Well I hope that they provide some of the things that you have come up with, especially the photo cubes.
Post 42 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Metroplex360

Thank you for showing us what's possible, once Matterport goes pubic with its APIs/SDKs.

Seems like – with what you have shared with us so far in the Matterport User Group Forum – you could create a tool to enable easy and fast publishing to Google Maps.

This would add HUGE value to Matterport Service Providers (and their clients) and Matterport.

That's a solution we all could charge more for (or including in our bundle).

Matterport should offer you a position as VP, APIs/SDKs and allow you to continue to live/work in Texas.

Best,

Dan
Post 43 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
I hope they do work with you on developing a tool for all to use. Like Dan said this would be a no Brainerd to bring you on board if nothing else to collaborate on a useful tool again from a user's point of view.

Ron
Post 44 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@DanSmigrod / @ron0987 - I have to disclose that what I made was not brilliant programming -- just smart programming. I used tools that anyone has access to in Chrome or Firefox (F12) to scan the content that is loaded with workshop and stumbled upon references within the undocumented API that led me to find all of the assets. MatterXport was written in an evening to automate this process and to break apart the rather large file list, providing an intuitive interface to view the contents.

I did go through all javascript files that Showcase and Workshop utilize... I used an online base64 decoder to decode certain things that were contained therein that provided minimal information - but led me to understand some of the metrics of the data being stored. Hours of poking around and reading through code that was in a way reconstructed. For those who don't know how javascript works -- javascript can be viewed by anyone. The web largely works on javascript and the best way to protect your javascript is to obfusticate and compress it. Obfustication basically removes all comments and substitutes meaningful names for variables, functions, etc, with single character placeholders (a,b,c). Compressing removes all spaces, line breaks and indentation. The resulting file is hard to read. There are tools online to 'beautify' the code which makes it easier to read. The level that Matterport's code is obfusticated is not TOO great -- as many variable names were still in place that helped make it somewhat readable.

So I just skimmed through everything, found API references, found bits of code that pointed at things like parameters, developer mode, etc. And I published these things as I found them and then incorporated them in MatterXport.

Concerning the API -- my.Matterport.com is 100% built off of their API. All of the functionality contained there -- from adding collaborators to even viewing which tours were processed for free, etc, can be done with their API if you've authenticated (logged into my.matterport.com). They built a VERY robust API for themselves. What they haven't done is setup a system for people to create an API Key inside so that they could securely use the API -- and they haven't documented the API for public use. What MatterXport did is demonstrate that they need to tighten up the API and not expose unnecessary information publically.

For the record, I've tried to do some silly things - like see if I can't pull up account information or other sensitive things that shouldn't be accesible -- and I can't. It all requires authentication.

I hope that Matterport will include me on their shortlist of people when they want BETA testing / feedback on the API. If that happens, I'd be under an NDA and nothing I accomplished would be publically accessible until the API was public. I'd LOVE to rewrite MatterXport to make use of the API as it is intended and reopen it publically after the API is public. However, I would hope that my.matterport.com would gain features that would make my little tool redundant.

I don't deserve a job at Matterport for what I did. IMHO, RPeterson's Wordpress Plugin is far more noteworthy IMHO. It's a much more refined piece of work from a programming standpoint that serves the community much better. He'd be a better catch -- and having his plugin as an official part of Matterport would be something I'd imagine them being interested in, especially as he already has a userbase.
Post 45 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Metroplex360

Wish you did not have to sign an NDA.

Would be nice to see your continued discussion on this topic.

Opening the platform - as you started to show what's possible - would help sell cameras, processing, hosting and ancillary revenue for Matterport.

Open platforms always trump closed platforms.

Best,

Dan
Post 46 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
If you had a chance to play with this tool by @Metroplex360 before Matterport asked him to disable access, you can appreciate the amazing possibilities that the Matterport platform can deliver.

Dan
Post 47 IP   flag post
101432 47 22
This topic is archived. Start new topic?