Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
WGAN-TV Live at 6:15 pm ET
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 587 Unique Visitors
9,131 WGAN Members in 149 Countries
Last 30 Days: 32,642 Page Views | 16,215 Unique Visitors | 33 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
MatterportPublicQuestions

Who knew Matterport publish all public tours on their website?19932

Belfast, United Kingdom
3dshowcaseuk private msg quote post Address this user
I was just searching google and discovered a page that has all the tours I have made public on a page in Matterport discover website

Here is a few examlples of we get around members

https://matterport.com/discover/account/QgqjWsPxSrd

https://matterport.com/discover/account/W1NvM3aXbYJ

https://matterport.com/discover/account/gECCyETnCc2/

Am i just late to the party on this?
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Suisun City, California
ScanYourSpace private msg quote post Address this user
Hi!

there's sharing options. When you select public it does say Anyone on the internet can view

Tom Sparks Scan Your Space (a Division of Sparks Media Group) Founder and CEO Tom Sparks |
www.ScanYourSpace.com | www.SparksMediaGroup.com
Post 2 IP   flag post
Belfast, United Kingdom
I understand that but I didn't expect Matterport to be creating portfolios of our work, I just thought that it would help search engines etc

I know now only to tick public if I am sure the client is ready for them to go PUBLIC
Post 3 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
@3dshowcaseuk this is what we found on one of the terms of condition that we saw either 2015 or 16. I have not read any of the newest ones. But it’s alway been my belief they want to team up with Google or Apple Maps to integrate them in the 3d maps. MP released a teaser not to long ago about this.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
Queen_City_3D private msg quote post Address this user
@3dshowcaseuk I almost always use the UNLISTED link as I don't believe it's up to me to choose for my clients if it's made public to the world. Occasionally the password protected link is used if Client requests. I think I can count on one hand how many tours I've used the "Public" link for.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Belfast, United Kingdom
19 to be prcise Queen_City_3D

https://matterport.com/discover/account/nuHvs1FN63r
Post 6 IP   flag post
Belfast, United Kingdom
@Queen_City_3D @Queen_City_3D

Post 7 IP   flag post
GarySnyder private msg quote post Address this user
@3dshowcaseuk, you have to understand you do not own any of your content once you hand it off to MP. This has always been the case. MP can do what they want with your content including mining your customer base. You have only agreed to use your camera to capture images and then hand them off to MP to process. In other words your $5,000 camera is useless unless you agree to MP terms. In addition if you cancel your agreement with MP they still own your contact and can make it available indefinitely. The only way to prevent your contact from being seen as @ScanYourSpace stated is to make it Private or Password Protect it but MP still owns your content. I'm not sure what would happen to your content if you close your account and you had made your VT's Private or Password Protected.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
Queen_City_3D private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dshowcaseuk
@Queen_City_3D @Queen_City_3D

I stand corrected

Those are ones that I don't mind being public... Art galleries, storefronts, lottery homes, etc.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Founder
Nail Soup Media
Sarasota, Florida
GlennTremain private msg quote post Address this user
so what do you do to make sure your version has better seo than just the matterport url? does anyone care?
Post 10 IP   flag post
3DPhoto private msg quote post Address this user
This is the major problem with the Matterport business model. It is two-fold in relationship to its users and also its users' clients. Matterport believes its proprietary 3D modeling from the scans, makes Matterport the owner of that information. You can make it public or private, but either way Matterport owns the model. This is not a public service taken from public areas like Google Street View, but usually private interior spaces recorded with permission by your client for usually a particular short term use. Once they sell the property, inspect the property or share views of the property, they do no expect the camera manufacturer or 3D modeler to retain ownership of the information. 10 or 20 years from now when you are out of business or retired, Matterport still maintains this visual information. Even when your client sells the property, and that person sells the property, or they all die, Matterport still owns the 3D scans of what is inside.

If you had to explain this to the homeowner or property owner today, would they consent when they have no control over this third party agreement? Think about the implications for changes in building codes or targeted sales by remodeling companies. Would this information ever be sold to the highest bidder or could it be used against the current owner of the property?
Post 11 IP   flag post
Founder
Nail Soup Media
Sarasota, Florida
GlennTremain private msg quote post Address this user
@3DPhoto the customer doesn't know that they don't own what they paid you to do ...YOU do!

The media industry has a unique position of copyright and yet takes free website stuff, copies code from competitors SEO, social media, etc. and more. IN 2027 copyright law will be amended for media creators.

Matterport process is proprietary and far more complex than taking a picture. Soon there will be competitors as good and let you retain rights

The best is to bet them at the game, you can do that if you know how
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
VTLV private msg quote post Address this user
This is like the real estate company that lists every agent in the city on their website in order to intercept a lead from past clients looking up the agent by name. One more link in there to compete with using your info for their gain. I would think of it different if we were made aware and shared reciprocal links... if that even works anymore.
Post 13 IP   flag post
@3DPhoto but that leads to the next question, do you post any photos of work you have done on your webpage. Do you get a secondary release to do that or do you believe you’re the owner since you took the photo? Just curious not sure.
Post 14 IP   flag post
@ron0987 you can do what your want with the content you have created but if MP were to decide to un-render your VT which you shot with yout $5,000 camera it would be a jumbled mess and of no value to you unless you have the ability re-render/re-assembly the panoramas.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron0987
@3DPhoto but that leads to the next question, do you post any photos of work you have done on your webpage. Do you get a secondary release to do that or do you believe you’re the owner since you took the photo? Just curious not sure.

My photography contracts specifically state I am the copyright owner and may use the images in my portfolio or for self-promotion. Major companies can amend this if they want to pay more for exclusivity, or purchase my copyright. One client in 30 years politely asked if I would refrain from using a photo because they had a split with another person in the photo. I honored their request.

With Matterport, it is not up to me to make that decision because I am not the copyright owner of the scans. Meanwhile, as we discuss this, Matterport is being bought out by CoStar, a different company. No one can say if CoStar will continue the same business model as Matterport. What if they sell the business or decide to sell the scans to the highest bidder? Can you or I stop them as the copyright owner? The answer is no. If they decide to make private scans public, can the property owner request it be taken down due to conflict or embarrassing content? Again, I think the answer is no. What happens if the second or third owner of the scans decides property owners should pay a fee if they want to keep the scans private, or public scans start incurring higher fees to keep them public?
Post 16 IP   flag post
WGAN
Premium
Lahaina, Hawaii
Skeeter private msg quote post Address this user
Well maybe the new owners will change a lot of the old BS with Matterport. I have a long list.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@3DPhoto I guess I was not very clear in my post, you talk about the property owner not having information about Matterports overall intent. I understand that but I am very seldom in contact with the property owner I am contracted thru an agent. So since the agent is giving us limited authority to create our tours for his purpose to sell the property, how far does that release go? When I do a project I like and may use in advertising I will ask the agent to have the current property owner to sign release for that long-term use. They very seldom care because they are selling the property. That is what I mean by second release signed. I may be wrong but always took it when contracted by the agent that is mostly short term for a specific use. I maybe totally be wrong but that is why I was asking about secondary release. I am not sure that's why I am looking for some clarification and has anybody looked at it this way?
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron0987
@3DPhoto I guess I was not very clear in my post, you talk about the property owner not having information about Matterports overall intent. I understand that but I am very seldom in contact with the property owner I am contracted thru an agent. So since the agent is giving use limited authority to create our tours for his purpose to sell the property, how far does that release go? When I do a project I like and may use in advertising I will ask the agent to have the current property owner to sign release for that long-term use. They very seldom care because they are selling the property. That is what I mean by second release signed. I may be wrong but always took it when contracted by the agent that is mostly short term for a specific use. I maybe totally be wrong but that is why I was asking about secondary release. I am not sure that's why I am looking for some clarification and has anybody looked at it this way?

Indeed, this is part of the problem. Most of my contracts are with property owners, builders and architects. But my contract with agents is the same and specifically grants a property release. Legally, it assumes the agent has rights granted from the property owner that transfer to me or indemnify me to photograph and scan the property.

That is where the Matterport business model falls short. It assumes Matterport owns the rights to the 3D scans, models or twins without any involvement in the original property release for photography or scanning.

Often, the Matterport photographer has the responsibility to make the 3D models public or private. However, this role can also be transferred to the property owner or real estate agent. Regardless, Matterport still owns the technology and platform where the models are created and stored. No one can argue there is intellectual property involved. So does that ownership of the technology and coding include the copyright for the imagery and information displayed? Is the photographer or Matterport the original creator under copyright law? In addition, if I possess a property release from the client, did that automatically transfer to Matterport the moment I uploaded my scans to Matterport?

I think it is a huge stretch of intellectual property rights over privacy and other rights to think Matterport can buy, sell or transfer imagery of someone's private home or commercial space in perpetuity, without disclosure or direct agreements from all parties.
Post 19 IP   flag post
@3DPhoto Thank you for the input, I do appreciate it.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Another issue which no one has mention is the new property owner or the one after that not knowing their lovely 5 million mansion is on public display. I'd be very upset to think if I bought a 5 million house and it was on constant display so anyone in the future can virtually walk through my house and garden. There is no telling what some individuals might do with that information.

In fact some potential buyers may request that the VT be taken down before they purchase the property. This is an issue which MP and MSP's may not have considered. With the legal system in the States being so sue happy a slick Lawyer may find a case against the MSP & MP for not taking down the VT upon request.

Imagine a robbery of a 10 million home in Beverly Hills and the thief is caught and on his laptop is the MP VT which he used to case the home.

I have some clients who will not use MP under any circumstances as they what complete control of the copyright to include who sees the content clearly stated in their NDA's.

Even if you set the VT to Private MP can still view the VT which is a violation of the NDA.
Post 21 IP   flag post
102936 21 21