Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
ProblemsScanningStrategy

Scanning the inside and outside of a house1978

sstarkey private msg quote post Address this user
Most of the models I have seen start just inside the front door and don't include any shots outside. While this may be due to the fact that you need almost perfect lighting to get a good shot, I have also come across issues in the dollhouse view if you do outside shots. I always like to start my house scans a few steps outside the front door as people want to show off their interior and exterior. I like to give the impression in the model that you are walking up to the house to tour.

Normally when you only scan the inside, in dollhouse view you can "see through" all the exterior walls. With my method of starting outside the front door, some scans of the exterior make it so you are not able to see through the walls in the dollhouse view.

It also happened in my most recent scan of a Gulfstream IV

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=FQoXVP8DoCW

I would like to scan completely around the jet but then, in dollhouse view, you cannot see through the exterior.
Post 1 IP   flag post
lisahinson private msg quote post Address this user
That was cool! I generally also scan outside but not entirely around the home. Really nice work @sstarkey !
Post 2 IP   flag post
Here is an example of a house that starts outside.

https://matterport.com/3d-space/richard-landry-house-2/

If you look at the dollhouse view from the front, the exterior part around the door is covered so you cant see in for that section.
Post 3 IP   flag post
That is one beautiful home.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Wyzlo private msg quote post Address this user
Here is one I did 2 days ago

http://wyzlo.com/3d-model/serpentina/fullscreen/

It took like 36 hours to receive the email

some scans are not in the place, and some near the pool are wrong you click and it takes you inside

7 hours to complete the job in place
But when out of scans i do need like 50 more to complete the house
Post 5 IP   flag post
@wyzlo wow, that is a beautiful place too. How did you get the entry - words SERPENTINA to be that size. Is that an option on Ross' WP3D to change the font size?
Post 6 IP   flag post
Thanks Lisa

Maybe is the fullscreen version I haven't change anything
Post 7 IP   flag post
That may be why - I like it regardless!
Post 8 IP   flag post
@sstarkey very nice job !!
Post 9 IP   flag post
JonJ private msg quote post Address this user
@sstarkey, I thought this was an interesting topic, so I took one of my models to see if it was possible to achieve the look you are asking for. Here is the first draft of what I created. https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=aYJcWXENEVu&brand=0
By no means is it perfect, but it is a proof of concept that shows that it is possible to "see through" the exterior walls even if the exterior space was scanned.
Jon
Post 10 IP   flag post
JonJ private msg quote post Address this user
In the last model I posted, I experimented with a couple other tricks. I tried @marswalker open/shut door trick and I also marked the last window of the screened porch on both sides @digitalimageries(as opposed to just the inside of the house). The door trick added 3 scans per door and was pretty easy to do. It worked with getting the inside of the kitchen pantry and the walk in closet space in the master, even though I hid those scans in workshop. Thanks for the tip Marshall!
Post 11 IP   flag post
BayAreaAdam private msg quote post Address this user
@sstarkey, How were you able to get the scans outside? From the inside, it looks like it was quite sunny...
Post 12 IP   flag post
I didn't mark anything in this model (no windows)just a couple of mirrors.
Post 13 IP   flag post
@bayareaadam I have scanned outside before but that house that I posted was from the matterport "examples" on their website. The private jet I modeled was started about 6:15am and I have had luck starting at dawn or dusk and doing everything else before or after when the light is too strong to be outside.
Post 14 IP   flag post
BayAreaAdam private msg quote post Address this user
@sstarkey ahh, got it, thank you
Post 15 IP   flag post
101432 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?