Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 520 Unique Visitors
9,063 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 35,022 Page Views | 18,826 Unique Visitors | 27 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Pro2Pro3Swimming PoolsTraining

Tip: Fill Your Pools19706

DigitalReplica3D private msg quote post Address this user
Earlier I’ve seen post regarding the black hole in place of blue swimming pool water in the Dollhouse view. I was working with Matterport Support regarding another matter when I inquired about the swimming pool issue. This is what I received back. I have yet to try it but thought I’d share. I’ve also included the links to the support pages for review.
Best,
Matterport Support Page
Post 1 IP   flag post
These are the links to Matterport support pages.

How to Convert a 360° View to a 3D Scan
Capture a 360° View
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
Home3D private msg quote post Address this user
We have done this for years with the Pro 2, capture a scan, then reshoot position as a 360 view (no depth data), then convert the 360 to 3D. It worked great. But this does not work for the Pro 3. Even though the minimap shows the pool “filled in” with water, after processing most of the pool is a black hole.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Interesting, @Home3D. I remember your response to this concern from another member. I wanted to be pro active and know the solution before scanning a place with a pool. Asked for support from Matterport.
I scanned an ocean front condo in Malibu. Thought the Dollhouse with the Pacific Ocean would be impressive. That didn’t work out.
Just as you stated in your response. Matterport has a work around for the Pro2. Matterport also included the work around steps for a Pro3. I have yet to try with mine. Disheartening to hear you have not had success with what Matterport forwarded me as the solution.
Initially, I assumed you were using a Insta360 type camera to capture the 360 views vs capturing the 360 scans with the Pro3 then converting the Pro3’s 360 views to 3D scans. I’ve only used a Pro3 and haven’t taken a 360 scan only 3D. Should I now assume you used strictly the Pro3 for both 360 and 3D scans?
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
Some experimentation is required here. Possibly scanning the 360 points with the Pro 2 and converting those to 3-D may work after processing. At least we have found that Pro 2 360s will properly convert to show pool water after conversion to 3-D. This may also be true if the 360s are shot with Z1 one or another one-shot camera and then converted to 3-D.

What we don’t know is why this trick works with the Pro 2 but not the 3. Is it the nature of Pro 3 images, or something in the processing of Pro 3 models that differs from Pro 2 processing?

Clearly MP should create an additional “markup” tool called Pool so we can just draw an outline around a pool and MP pastes a rippled water image into the black hole in the dollhouse view. Not that difficult, just takes the will.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Fathom3D private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Home3D
Clearly MP should create an additional “markup” tool called Pool so we can just draw an outline around a pool and MP pastes a rippled water image into the black hole in the dollhouse view. Not that difficult, just takes the will.

It's 2024; we shouldn't need to mark windows and mirrors like we did ten years ago. How about if the system could recognize these, and pools too?
Post 6 IP   flag post
JamesG private msg quote post Address this user
I'm planning to keep following up with Matterport, checking to see if progress has been made in resolving this issue. A big black hole in the swimming pool is a really bad look imo. Like others here, I used to use the workaround mentioned above with the Pro 2- it's mind boggling to me that the much more expensive Pro 3 doesn't allow it. If you care about this issue, I'd highly suggest that every once in a while you reach out to Matterport to voice your disappointment. Hopefully this will pressure them to fix the issue. At least one can hope.
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
@Fathom3D - Although it would be nice for windows and mirrors to self-markup, I find the complexity of situations favors doing so manually. If I shoot a home with full-height sliding glass doors from family room to patio, or primary BR to a balcony, I will generally open just one panel in order to pass through for exterior scanning. It's essential therefore that the one "opened" panel remain unmarked while the others should be marked. Creating an automatic algorithm that will recognize the difference between closed and open full-height glass doors I expect is a real challenge, if even possible.

Also, there are times I specifically do not want glass marked, such as some floor-to-ceiling glass "walls" standing between interior rooms, like is common in office workspaces. There's no need for these to be marked up to turn solid in dollhouse views and by leaving them unmarked, visitors browsing the 3D space can walk through these glass partitions, which can make for easier navigation.

Bottom line, I'd prefer flexible precision over automatic functions that I have to figure out how to workaround when they do something contrary to my intent in a tour.

That being said, if MP wants to add an automatic window / mirror markup function, I strongly encourage this to be an OPTION rather than default. Add a button enabling the MSP to use the automation, or to elect to set all markups manually. Automation can be very limiting.

I used to be able to easily reach a live human on most tech support lines. Now we spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to find a secret path through the phone tree to a human.
Post 8 IP   flag post
101892 8 8