Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
WGAN-TV Live at 6:15 pm ET
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 587 Unique Visitors
9,131 WGAN Members in 149 Countries
Last 30 Days: 32,642 Page Views | 16,215 Unique Visitors | 33 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Obituaries

Obituaries: Did you lose a family member? Share the obituary here ...19605

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

Obituaries

Deane Austin Smigrod

Obituaries: Did you lose a family member? Share the obituary here ...

Hi All,

I will start off this new WGAN Forum topic.

My Mom, 99, passed away this morning. She was in hospice care since December 2023.

While we knew this day was coming, it's still a very emotional/shocking day.

I wanted to share this news with the WGAN community: many whom I have met in person during my travels; by Zoom, by Private Messages and of course, via our discussions in the WGAN Forum.

I could imagine many of you have -- or will -- also experienced a loss and wanted to have a place where you could share your loss too. Thus, that graphic (above) and this new WGAN Forum topic. May the memory of your loved one live forever in your heart.

I will be back online on Monday, 18 March 2024. Thanks for your patience and understanding.

WGAN Forum Tech @MikeW is covering for me, if it can't wait.

Dan

---

Deane Austin Smigrod

Approaching a remarkable century of life, Deane Austin Smigrod, a woman of fervent faith, political acumen, and a passion for sports, passed away on Thursday, March 7, 2024 at Somerby Sandy Springs Senior Living near Atlanta.

Born into a world vastly different from the one she left, Mrs. Smigrod's 99 years were marked by her strong convictions, love for family, and a zest for life that defied the constraints of age.

A life-long learner and advocate, she wove a rich tapestry of experiences from her early days in Columbia, SC to her impactful years in Greensboro, NC; Roslyn, NY; and Sandy Springs, GA.

Her story is a testament to the power of enduring love, intellectual curiosity, and the importance of staying connected in an ever-changing world.

Funeral services will be held 10 am Sunday, March 10, 2024 at graveside in the Greensboro Hebrew Cemetery (2911 W. Gate City Boulevard, Greensboro, NC 27403). Officiating will be Temple Emanuel Senior Rabbi Andy Koren.

Mrs. Smigrod was born February 17, 1925 in Columbia, SC to the late Arnold and Rosalie (Rosenberg) Austin. She graduated from Connecticut College for Women (now known as Connecticut College) with a Bachelor of Arts (BA) in English and from Long Island University with a Master of Arts (MA) in Political Science. She was also accepted into law school at Hofstra University in Hempstead, NY – though chose not to attend.

Mrs. Smigrod was an avid golf and tennis enthusiast - and even when off the course and courts maintained her enjoyment through watching both sports on television. She continued to successfully compete in duplicate bridge after moving to Atlanta with the Atlanta Duplicate Bridge Center.

She had a love for politics and Fox News, and was a member of the Greater Greensboro Republican Women's Club. She was also a member of the North Metro Republican Women in Atlanta and was a member of an Atlanta Republican book club.

Her faith was of great importance to her as she was an active member of Temple Emanuel – and the Temple Emanuel Sisterhood in Greensboro – as well as the Greensboro Jewish Federation and was a life member of Hadassah.

She was a strong advocate for what she believed in and had a quick wit that was enjoyed by many.

Her proudest moments were those shared with her family – her husband, the late Seymour "Smig" Smigrod and her sons, Andrew Austin Smigrod and Daniel Lee Smigrod. She felt very blessed that they met and married such lovely, strong women – Lajla Nystad and Ann K. Moceyunas respectively – and was happy her sons found love like she had experienced.

Although Andrew and his family live in Australia – the miles could not divide just how incredibly proud she was of her granddaughter, Emily and her husband, Ivan, and how much she adored her energetic great-grandson, Miles. She enjoyed using video chat and email to stay connected and involved in their lives.

Mrs. Smigrod’s only sibling, Maxine Stone of Port Washington and Manhasset, NY died October 15, 2020.

Mrs. Smigrod is survived by Maxine's daughter and son-in-law, Audrey and Jacob Kurland, and their children Marshall, Rebecca and Alex – as well as Maxine's son and daughter-in-law, Charles Stone and Anne “Marianne” Zissu and their children Ben and Hava Stone. Mrs. Smigrod is also survived by Marshall and Jackie Kurland’s children Sophie and Maddie Kurland.

Mrs. Smigrod loved to reminisce about how she met, married, and loved “Smig” for over 60 years - and how much joy and memories they shared with their families of birth, the family they created together and their many friends. Seymour Smigrod was a Captain in the US Army (Ranger) during World War II. He received a Bronze Star and Purple Heart. The two first met while corresponding by mail during the war. “Smig” died July 3, 2008.

The family asks that any memorial donations be made to a charity chosen by the donor.
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Golden Valley, Minnesota
MarcelG private msg quote post Address this user
What a beautiful tribute to what sounds like an incredible lady. My condolences with her passing.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Bon Secour, Alabama
Chemistrydoc private msg quote post Address this user
♥️
Post 3 IP   flag post
Buster6070 private msg quote post Address this user
Condolences Dan, she sounds like she was an amazing woman.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Gladsmuir private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Dan,
What a wonderfully evocative obituary for a clearly remarkable woman.
I believe that you have done her proud,
it is always very moving when children speak so well of their parents.
Ruth and I would like to offer our heartfelt condolences to you and your family.
Oliver
Post 5 IP   flag post
CTownMedia private msg quote post Address this user
I'm so sorry Dan, I lost my mom in 2021. Doesn't matter how old you are or how old she was, losing mom is really tough. Sounds like she lived an awesome life with a legacy that will last a long time. Thoughts and prayers with you and your family.
https://www.aripepiandsons.com/obituary/Janet-Lindsay
Post 6 IP   flag post
Shakoure private msg quote post Address this user
Wow Dan... I see how Mrs. Smigrod can easily make family, friends and relatives, admire her accomplished life. So inspirational. My condolences to you and the family. My father recently passed at 76. Although he honorably served in the Air Force & State Department during the Vietnam war, he was a very private man and never cared for the spotlight. Thanks for sharing her story.
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Bon Secour, Alabama
Chemistrydoc private msg quote post Address this user
Dan,

It doesn't matter how old the loved one is. Years don't mitigate the grief. It's been 3 years since my mom passed, and every day catches me thinking about it as if it were yesterday, as I was with her as she died. In the spirit of this thread, here is the obituary:

clickable text

You are the living memorial to your mom's memory. Be at peace and know that so many of us share your grief.

Keith
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
Home3D private msg quote post Address this user
Dan,

Sweet memories of your dear Mom. I wish you and your family peace and celebration of her life. Both my parents and father-in-law are now gone, and Marion's Mom is approaching, having turned 96 a month ago. Each goodbye serves to remind us that our own turn is coming. We all have an expiration date, we just don't know when it is.

I have joked that I was an underprivileged child - I wasn't born Jewish like you. But at least I had a Jewish father-in-law and scores of Jewish friends in my adult life. And I have come to embrace many of the traditions and values you were blessed by growing up.

Live life with love, not only for our immediate family but the human race. As Carl Sagan reminded us, Earth is our only home. We are all family and even our country of birth is purely random chance, an artificial construct. The more we embrace universal tolerance, they more we lift up. Shalom Aleichem.
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

Thank you all - for your posts above and via emails, phone calls and text messages - for your heart felt condolences.
Quote:
Originally Posted by @MarcelG
What a beautiful tribute to what sounds like an incredible lady. My condolences with her passing.

Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Chemistrydoc
♥️

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Buster6070
Condolences Dan, she sounds like she was an amazing woman.

Yes. Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Gladsmuir
Hi Dan,
What a wonderfully evocative obituary for a clearly remarkable woman.
I believe that you have done her proud,
it is always very moving when children speak so well of their parents.
Ruth and I would like to offer our heartfelt condolences to you and your family.
Oliver

Thank you and Ruth. I appreciate your kind words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by @CTownMedia
I'm so sorry Dan, I lost my mom in 2021. Doesn't matter how old you are or how old she was, losing mom is really tough. Sounds like she lived an awesome life with a legacy that will last a long time. Thoughts and prayers with you and your family.
https://www.aripepiandsons.com/obituary/Janet-Lindsay

Your Mom was so young. My thoughts are with you and your family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Shakoure
Wow Dan... I see how Mrs. Smigrod can easily make family, friends and relatives, admire her accomplished life. So inspirational. My condolences to you and the family. My father recently passed at 76. Although he honorably served in the Air Force & State Department during the Vietnam war, he was a very private man and never cared for the spotlight. Thanks for sharing her story.

Thank you for your kind words and for your father's military service. May your father always live forever in your hear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Chemistrydoc
Dan,

It doesn't matter how old the loved one is. Years don't mitigate the grief. It's been 3 years since my mom passed, and every day catches me thinking about it as if it were yesterday, as I was with her as she died. In the spirit of this thread, here is the obituary:
clickable text

You are the living memorial to your mom's memory. Be at peace and know that so many of us share your grief.
Keith

Our thoughts are with you on the passing of your Mom. A beautiful obituary for her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Home3D
Dan,

Sweet memories of your dear Mom. I wish you and your family peace and celebration of her life. Both my parents and father-in-law are now gone, and Marion's Mom is approaching, having turned 96 a month ago. Each goodbye serves to remind us that our own turn is coming. We all have an expiration date, we just don't know when it is.

I have joked that I was an underprivileged child - I wasn't born Jewish like you. But at least I had a Jewish father-in-law and scores of Jewish friends in my adult life. And I have come to embrace many of the traditions and values you were blessed by growing up.

Live life with love, not only for our immediate family but the human race. As Carl Sagan reminded us, Earth is our only home. We are all family and even our country of birth is purely random chance, an artificial construct. The more we embrace universal tolerance, they more we lift up. Shalom Aleichem.

I am sorry for your loss of both your parents and Marion's Mom. May their memories live on.

Thank you all again.

Dan
Post 10 IP   flag post
Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
Tosolini private msg quote post Address this user
I just saw your obituary Dan. Sorry for your loss.
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Tosolini

Thank you Paolo.

Dan
Post 12 IP   flag post
102936 12 12