Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 661 Unique Visitors
9,066 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 35,099 Page Views | 18,938 Unique Visitors | 27 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdvicePro3StairsStrategyTips

Matterport Pro3 Camera, for stairs, corridors & rows of racks / aisles?19281

WGAN
Basic Member
Boston
Noddy private msg quote post Address this user
Wondering out loud to the forum about Pro3, for stairs, corridors & rows of racks / aisles:

1) when scanning indoors with Pro3 in corridors approaching a doorway, how far away from a door would I have to be in order for there not to be a problem with door closed, then opened as I approach? I use 15 ft as a rule for Pro2, but the Pro3 has a much longer throw, and I don't want to get caught out with not being able to pass through a doorway in the final model.

2) For doing shop aisles and library rack aisles, where the rack height is above head / camera height, -should I stick to Pro3 now, as the longer throw of the lidar might more easily pick up each end of the aisles and avoid alignment issues that I get with Pro2 (where racks are too uniform)? What do you all think?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Vanaman06 private msg quote post Address this user
I usually only scan the door open when right in front of it and have had no problems. I’ve even scanned the door closed and then scanned inside the door with it open and it usually takes. I do this on residential where I want the room on the floorplan but I don’t want people to be able to see or walk in the room.
Post 2 IP   flag post
US Building
Survey, LLC
Olathe, Kansas
rhelling private msg quote post Address this user
1) Agree with @Vanaman06. I scan sometimes door closed and open right up to the door and have never had an issue. (I’ve just deleted the door closed scan point in the final model)

2) Not exactly sure what you’re asking. But I’ve scanned a few grocery stores and I usually scan at the ends of both aisles and once in the middle. (sometimes twice depending on the distance). The Pro3 does a great job of aligning even between multiple aisles that look the same.
Post 3 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
But now with the new editing tool, even if it builds a door in the model you can go in and edit the model and remove the data that builds the door. I have never had to use it for doors, but it has worked nicely for remove artifacts that I do not want to see in models. I have found like @Vanaman06 I can scan fairly close to a closed door with the Pro3. I have found that with the Pro3 I can usually move 3-6 feet into the next room with the door open and have no issues. I will say that is usually but every once in a while I am forced to re-align the scans so I make it a habit to still scan the threshold.

For me on stairs to get a smooth transition I will only scan 3-4 stairs at a time. I leave the camera in place when I choose to start a new floor and run an overlapping scan. I have never had an issue and this maybe over scanning for commercial work but for residential work it creates a cleaner smoother scan.

As for repetitive rows I scan 6-8 feet apart and still get alignment issues with the Pro3 on isles that are very similar in height, structure and products on shelves. I have started to watch the app more diligently to confirm the alignment is correct. Its not fun to try and determine which scan is out of alignment to correct the issue. I have been lucky and picked the correct scan and fixed the overall alignment issues. But I have spent a few hours on scans where I missed a slight mis-alignment issue and on one had to remove and rescan 20 scans. Does not make for a short day.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN
Basic Member
Boston
Noddy private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks all, I appreciate it.

@ron9087 are you referring to the new 3D trim tool in edit menu after processing? I haven't needed to use it for fixing closed door data either, but good to know it works to fix that and re-upload, thanks.
Post 5 IP   flag post
101938 5 5
This topic is archived. Start new topic?