Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 27 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
3D ShowcaseOutdoorsVirtual Reality

Outdoor Scan1921

dizzicam3D private msg quote post Address this user
Hi everyone,
Recently I did a scan outdoors. I know the camera has problems with bright light so I did this at dawn just as the sun was rising. It came up nice and showcases our beautiful little town in Australia. The main subject was Seward Jonhnson's 'Forever Marilyn' statue which is currently on show in Bendigo as part of a Gallery exhibition. This is a never to be repeated exhibition and I am delighted to be able to capture it in 3D. Hope you enjoy it!

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=p3HHn6C2Mdn
Post 1 IP   flag post
RandyAggie private msg quote post Address this user
Turned out well. Wasn't aware our Matterport cameras could do that. Thanks for sharing that!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Thanks @RandyAggie. I am happy with how it turned out. I live in a touristy town and have plans to scan more outdoor places. I read a forum post which encouraged matterport users to push the boundaries and see what you can produce, so that's what I plan to do.
Post 3 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
It looks really good.

Ron
Post 4 IP   flag post
lisahinson private msg quote post Address this user
Excellent!
Post 5 IP   flag post
DBurroughs private msg quote post Address this user
Does this mean we can go inside-outside-inside, like from the main house to the guest house?
Post 6 IP   flag post
Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
Queen_City_3D private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBurroughs
Does this mean we can go inside-outside-inside, like from the main house to the guest house?

As long as you can scan the path from one building to the other under the right conditions it should work fine.
Post 7 IP   flag post
JonJ private msg quote post Address this user
Here is an inside>outside>inside example.
https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=joKbkkv4vTC
Post 8 IP   flag post
Another really nice job!!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Thanks everyone!
@JonJ your inside outside inside example is really nice, a great showcase.
Post 10 IP   flag post
DavidBaus private msg quote post Address this user
They are all very nice. I have been experimenting with ND gels...- 1/2,-1,-2 stops.Before I add the ND gel(s) around the lens&sensors. I take an EV reading with a meter. Still playing around,but happy with some of the results. Start at +13-14 EV.After adding a gel or two. 8-10 EV-for example would be my capture(exposure value). This has enable me to scan in brighter outdoor conditions. Having fun for now!
Post 11 IP   flag post
David, could you show a picture of your camera with the filter setup and any scans you have with and without the filter. Great idea.

Ron
Post 12 IP   flag post

Ron,
Here are a couple photos. I justed taped the filter in front of the lens&sensors. Unfortunately...I do not have a w/ and w/out the filter scan/photo to share. If you give it a try. You should notice a difference. My next project will be by the water on sunny day or in a house with large windows. The scans w/&w/out the filter inside a house. It should be very noticeable. I will share the results with you.

Dave
Post 13 IP   flag post
@DavidBaus I received my filters this evening from Rosco and I was able to scan the patio into a western sunset.. it was about 6:30pm and I can't believe it! Here in Santa Fe we have brutal (wonderful) sun! I taped the Rosco 3404 filter across the lenses..

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=2naca6BWNn7

I think some of the spots were where the filters were pinched when they can in the mail.
Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@DavidBaus @lisahinson

Incredibly exciting!

@DavidBaus congratulations and thank you for sharing this amazing solution.

I look forward to hearing more about your testing and the results.

Dan
Post 15 IP   flag post
360Verbeelding private msg quote post Address this user
Hi, this is acactly what i've been talking about in a couple of other my treats. So i am very glad that a other user proves the theory. To solve problems we should all act more like real photographers and experiment.

Happy scanning,
Grtz Rene.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Hi Lisa, great job. Its nice to see a fellow Matterporter is also experimenting. The spots you see is glare. This happens when the lightscource can reflects
at something when you put it in front of the lens. If you know how to control this effect you can do some amazing things with this. Not realy suitable voor MP.
Solution for this "problem", try to keep the filter as flat as possible when you use it. Because the MP cam has no filterholder or something to hold a filter you need to make a simple one yourself. You can make so eting like a small window out of cardboard and then use velcro to stick it in front of the lens.

This you can try the next time when your scanning in the sun.
The ND filters basically bring down the intensity of the light comming in the lens. In photography this is called getting more F-stops. If you want to no more ask me and i explain it. Try this put your ND filters in front of the lenses and also put a ND filter infront of the IR lens. This woukd also reduce the amount of IR light comming in the IR sensor. I don't know accactly what it wil do (there is not so mutch sun in the Netherlands😜)but give it a try.

Have fun,
Grtz Rene.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@360Verbeelding Thank you for your explanation. I would like to know more! I see where if I'd cut the piece a tad larger it might have worked even better so I'll keep experimenting. Could not believe I was able to have any successful scans with our intense sun here (at that time of day just out in the open!)
Post 18 IP   flag post
Has anyone that used the filter seen any significant reduction on the sensor side of the camera. Since the filter covers both the lens and sensor have you been able to get the same distance on multiple scans and ability to merge together. I think this is a great idea and thank you David for posting the photos. I was talking with my business partner and he brought up the question about the sensor side. So if any of you using the filter can tell us if there is any reduction on the distance you can move. Thank you in advance.

Ron
Post 19 IP   flag post
I won't speak for David, but I had to keep my scans closer or they would not align. I'm going to try again today when the sun is really strong. Depending on the results, using these filters would really open up my options for scanning outdoors.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Hi Ron, just order a sample pack of different filters at Roscoe or Lee filters and start experimenting your selve. Its a trail and error thing. This because the MP cam is not equiped to experiment. You con't have to go in the camera for these kind of tests, is doesn't hurt the cam and you wont lose your warranty. I started this and suggested that we could use ND filters and explained a couple of things. So Its nice that people now really start doing something with this information.

Happy scanning,Grtz Rene.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Hi Lisa, because you put a filter in front of the lenses less light comes in and less IR goes out. So its a good thing that you scan closer together. The IR doesn't go as far now because of the density of the filter. Trail and error.

Mayby MP listens to this and makes it posdible that we can put standart ND filters to the camera, like at a real DSLR.
Should be a usefull extra.

Grtz Rene.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Hello Lisa,

In my option...your test looks great! As I mentioned,trial&error. I started playing around with the filters in the winter of 2015. No leaves on the trees,sun light reflecting off the snow. Now the season has changed.
The lighting condition have too. I have cut some gels up and plan to leave the IR sensor(s) exposed to full sun.Just to see what happens. Maybe better,worse or no change in distance between scans.?! The ND gels to me...Are not a fix or complete solution to outdoor full or partial sun scanning. They have helped me.I hope they will open more door to creativity and help you out in the future. Have fun!
Post 23 IP   flag post
thanks David!
Post 24 IP   flag post
@DanSmigrod

My pleasure Dan. Hopefully this will help some folks. Thanks again for all your help and advice past and present.

Many thanks,David
Post 25 IP   flag post
@lisahinson your welcome Lisa.
Post 26 IP   flag post
@davidbaus. I don't know who you are but you are reffering to things other members statted as if you started this. This is not very nice. We all contributed one way or the other to this forum but not by copying other members solutions or suggestions. But this is just my opinion.

Happy scanning
Grtz Rene.
Post 27 IP   flag post
PieroBortolot private msg quote post Address this user
@lisahinson @360Verbeelding @DavidBaus today I tried to mount a ND filter (3 F-stop) but the scans did not allign. Every time the second scan did not allign with the first.
I mounted the filter also in the IR sensors.
What I did do wrong?
Thanks
Post 28 IP   flag post
@pieroBortolot, I have not done this as extensively as the others in the forum this is what I did.
1. Cut a sheet to cover all the lenses on the camera and taped down as snugly as possible.
2. Only moved camera a few inches until I could see what was a tolerable distance. (ended up being about 6-8" for me)

How far are you moving the camera? Did you completely cover the lenses? Like I said, I only did this 3 or 4 times. @360Verbeelding @DavidBaus will have more information I'm sure.
Post 29 IP   flag post
PieroBortolot private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, I completely cover the lenses and moved the camera like you (6-8"
Post 30 IP   flag post
101641 33 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?