Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,033 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Ricoh Theta SVirtual Reality

Matterport Pros: Also Buy a Ricoh Theta S1917

TrustedPhotoDC private msg quote post Address this user
For $350 it should just be in your kit.

For best results, especially when using a spherical camera, space photo spheres 3 feet / 1 meter apart. Don't space them further apart than 10 feet / 3 meters.

I am usually 8-10 feet, except for corners and turns. Outdoors 10-30 feet works.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Blue-Sketch
Founder
New Orleans, LA
PetraSoderling private msg quote post Address this user
I've been trying to find information on a depth sensor in Theta or Samsung gear 360 but did not find any. I suppose for someone drawing floor plans Matterport is the only solution providing dimensions?
Post 27 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
The best 360-degree cameras (that you can afford) http://flip.it/14rPO
Post 28 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

Some MUG Forum Pros have reached out to me about tripod options. While there are many selfie poles that will work fine with the Ricoh Theta S, at least one selfie pole has been designed specifically for the Ricoh Theta S.

Busman Panoramic Carbon Selfie Pole Features include:

✓ Can charge while on the pole
✓ Can thread the charging wire inside the pole
✓ Can be attached to a professional tripod (3/8" female thread)
✓ 4 sections; can extend 47" (119cm) with 1/4" male thread

While I did this interview with the Founder/CEO of Bushman Panoramic, Gerald Blondy, at IVRPA 2016 in Quebec City, we did not discuss this selfie pole.

Dan

Post 29 IP   flag post
TuanDinh private msg quote post Address this user

Here is the video from Samsung gear 360 in daytime for you can see. The camera overheat and auto shutdown after about 5minutes even indoor with air conditional
Post 30 IP   flag post

The weak link(physical)of the Theta S is the lens . The lens' protrude and if your camera falls over there is good chance they will scratch.

While I love carbon sticks, I really don't see a need for using Really Right Stuff sticks with this camera.

You want a small footprint and these guys make a very sturdy stands. Heavy, but they will stand up in a breeze.

Check them out. http://www.triad-orbit.com/triad
Post 31 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@TrustedPhotoDC

Yes. I scratched the lens of one of my 1st generation Thetas. It's in a draw. Want to make me an offer? Note: It's not heavy enough to use as a doorstop, BUT since I know I paid a lot of money for it, I can't imagine tossing it in the trash.

And, thank you for the link. So many options it could make your head spin. (That would be a pun.)

Dan
Post 32 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Let's Party!

Ricoh Theta S 360º spherical images from the 1st Annual International Meetup of Matterport User Group Forum Members at IVRPA in Quebec City in May 2016 ...

Dan
Post 33 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
A MUG Forum Member emailed me:

"... while at [IVRPA] in Quebec, there was info about 'stitching software' to use on the Ricoh Theta images. Goes forward not stitching images into 360s. Do you happen to know what she’s referring to?"

The following video explains Google Street View meets Ricoh Theta "stitching" photo spheres together to create a "tour" either inside or outdoors.

Videographer: Paolo @Tosolini
Post 34 IP   flag post
The Theta S stitches the two hemispheres in the camera into a photosphere. The Google Street View app can connect individual photospheres that are in the same location. At some point in the future, the app will auto connect photospheres that are 1-3 meters apart.
Post 35 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

Video: How to Live Stream from Ricoh Theta S to YouTube 360º Live Streaming

Have you tried this yet?

How might you use this 360º live stream as a:

✓ Matterport Pro?
✓ Real Estate Agent?

Best,

Dan
Post 36 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
I am enjoying my Ricoh Theta S.

The good news is that it is super-easy to shoot 360-degree photos and videos with the Theta S. The bad news is that it is not so easy to edit and publish. Which, may be great news for the community, because your clients will need and want your help. (It's easy to shoot and publish if you do not want to edit anything.)

The more I play with it, the more that I want to do with it.

One of those things is editing the video in iMovie on my iMac and publishing the edited versions to YouTube and Facebook.

That's easier said than done. I have been wrestling the workflow the last few days - with the help and support of a passion Ricoh Theta community.

By 15 July, I anticipate posting my workflow for other iMac/iMovie users.

In the mean time, if you are using the Ricoh Theta S and have an editing workflow for PC or Mac – and with various editing solutions – kindly share here.

Dan
Post 37 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by @GeorgeK
just FYI.. I am having some problem with my Theta S. It seems to be exposing way to much light when set to automatic and the scans are not making it over to the phone for instant posting. I did a few yesterday and frankly I was disappointed.

https://theta360.com/s/d3TMlec2z0bxXs7OBcWxwdjPs
Post 38 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@GeorgeK

Did you try manual settings after you saw that the image was washed out?

Yes. I am having posting and workflow challenges for both 360º photo spheres and 360º video. It certainly is not a "just works" Apple experience.

Once I have workflow worked out, I will post here.

The 360º photo sphere quality can be very good. The video does looks soft, but acceptable for a $350 camera.

For "value-add" to Matterport, the Ricoh Theta 360º photo spheres and 360º spherical video is likely to be "good enough" ...

@GeorgeK

I what you pioneered with WP3D Models + Ricoh Theta photo sphere that you announced in the MUG Forum thread ...

Just what is State of the ART?

... and that we further discussion in this MUG Forum thread ...

Matterport + Theta S + WP3D Models = Outdoors

Despite your disappointment, I look forward to see how else you - and the MUG Forum community - innovate with Matterport + Ricoh Theta S.

Dan
Post 39 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

If you would like to continuously charge the Ricoh Theta S while it is connected to a tripod, Ricoh (just) started shipping its Ricoh TE-1 Extension Adapter for Theta (pictured above).

While the Ricoh website says available for Pre-Order, I received my order on Friday (24 June 2016).

While the item lists for $19, 3-7 business days shipping to Atlanta, Georgia was $11.95.

Dan
Post 40 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

Video: Happy Birthday ...

Video: Cake by the Ocean

I was (pleasantly) surprised how well the Ricoh Theta S did in a noisy, low light restaurant setting last night (24 July 2016)

Best,

Dan

P.S. And a 360º Photo Sphere from the Ricoh Theta S
Post 41 IP   flag post
RandyAggie private msg quote post Address this user
Can this be used in the Google Trusted Photographer program, or do they still require a higher end photo sphere? The quality of these videos is great! There are many places where an empty building doesn't convey everything.
Post 42 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@RandyAggie Yes. So far, Google supports a few different 360º spherical cameras, including Ricoh Theta S.
Post 43 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Why you need to ditch what you learned with cameras to shoot 360 video http://flip.it/k92mg
Post 44 IP   flag post
101437 44 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?