Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 761 Unique Visitors
9,055 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,838 Page Views | 19,122 Unique Visitors | 27 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
BackupiMazingQuestionsRestore

What is the approved method to back up the iPad?18586

SpencerLasky private msg quote post Address this user
What is the approved method now a days to backing up the iPad? I just prices a new one $1700!! Bit pricey for solo using as a back up live on a shelf but… maybe that’s the best way? Thank you !
Post 1 IP   flag post
HarlanHambright private msg quote post Address this user
You don’t need to backup MP scans.
Post 2 IP   flag post
MeshImages private msg quote post Address this user
I would always backup the important longterm scans -> you can export them in the Matterport app and store this data wherever you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlanHambright
You don’t need to backup MP scans.

I would not rely on the free in-app restore from Matterport cloud. I’m pretty sure MP will charge sooner or later.
Furthermore it does not seem to differentiate betwenn BLk and Pro2 scans et al. (Not sure if it does with manual export of single models).
Post 3 IP   flag post
So Harlan you are saying you don't need to back them up because they live on the cloud once you send them to be processed - and that's true but .. some jobs I need to keep in all forms, raw data and processed cloud.

I am not aware there is an export feature in the capture app? so I can connect my iPad to my computer and it will export a raw data project to my home system hard drive? Is that correct?

thanks everyone

Spencer
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
Home3D private msg quote post Address this user
We periodically back up all our iPads using iMazing. It's a great tool that expands upon the capabilities of the core Mac OS. Monterey and later OS display an iPad's contents in a Finder window, enabling you to do backups. But launching iMazing and then connecting your iPad (or iPhone) lets you select Apps / Matterport Capture and then locate the Jobs folder inside of Capture. Backup this folder and you then have, within it, every full capture data set for all the jobs captured on that iPad.

The individual folders inside Jobs folder have random nonsensical names, but if you scroll down you'll find .swl files for each "spin" of the camera and also one or more .png files. These are the minimap images you see on the iPad while scanning. By looking at these, and/or noting the date of the files, you can correlate the identity of each job. I keep a spreadsheet of these so I can locate old capture file sets.

If you ever have a client who calls up 2 years later and asks, "Can you rescan just one room of a project you did for us?" the answer is "yes". Just use iMazing to put that project's Capture files back into the MP Capture app on your iPad and it will show up, you can continue working. I've done this a couple times.
Post 5 IP   flag post
ah Ok ! I was going to ask you anyway! very good!

I see the export and it did save the file on my hard drive - but the next question is can I important it back into the iPad.

I'm happy to use imazing as it sounds like it might make that process easier.

I'm not apposed to buying a new iPad but at the moment the advanced over what I have it's not worth it.

I'll look into Imaze - yes I have some mechanical rooms of large buildings and I don't have them on my cloud they got moved to a clients cloud but I can see needing to save them. !

thanks

Spencer
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerLasky
I see the export and it did save the file on my hard drive - but the next question is can I important it back into the iPad.

yes you can bring it back using Export. But most important if you just keep models in your workshop or its archive you can just download job data on any device and you can use it to update a space. The cool part of it it is cross-platform so you can do a job on iPad initially, send it for processing from there but download it later to android and update a space from Android version of the capture app.
Post 7 IP   flag post
101740 7 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?