Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Help WantedLaw FirmQuestions

Law Firm Seeks 3D Animation from 3D Tour to Help Prove Client is Innocent18562

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

Your thoughts regarding the following?

Or questions I should ask so that you can better reply?

Best,

Dan

---

[I received the following email today (Wednesday, 19 April 2023).

---

Dan,

Good morning! I am working with a law firm in an effort to locate a person who can create a 3D rendering of a crime scene in [redacted].

The goal is to show a jury the line of sight vantage point of a particular group of eyewitnesses.

The reason I'm reaching out to you directly is that I do not want to open it up to just anyone.

I was hoping you might have someone in mind who is proficient in such matters and can be contacted by this firm for said work. The preference would be for the person to use a Leica BLK scanner or similar instrument to create a point cloud that could be turned into a 3D animation of the incident.

Let me know if someone comes to mind and how I can go about putting these people in touch with one another.

Respectfully yours,

[Redacted]

--
Post 1 IP   flag post
Benrk0385 private msg quote post Address this user
I think it’s pretty straightforward. A 3-D model would allow you to walk around as if you are a bystander. And give you an understanding of what they might be able to see or what they might not be able to see. I’m in Northeast Pennsylvania Dan, feel free to give them my contact info for sure if they are within the vicinity. NY/NJ. Thanks.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Benrk0385

Sounds like they are looking for a 3D Animation - created from a Matterport tour - rather than simply a Matterport tour.

Or, some other way to show and tell the story.

For clarification, the email was sent to me by a Matterport Service Provider.

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
Benrk0385 private msg quote post Address this user
I like it Dan, sounds good sir.
Post 4 IP   flag post
LA360VR private msg quote post Address this user
Better than a 3D rendering, a Matterport scan would do just that. Simply position the camera at the exact positions where each eyewitness was. And adjust the tripod height to have the camera lens at the same line of sight of each eyewitness. Doing so will show what each witness was or was not able to see based on its height and position.

Recreating the scene from a point cloud can always be argued that the CAD designer made some mistakes or wasn't exactly accurate when creating the model. While a 360 pano is a direct representation based on the information provided.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Saulius private msg quote post Address this user
It would be enough to have set of pictures or video to render the 3D scene.
Something like: https://skfb.ly/oFKrU
Post 6 IP   flag post
Saulius private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saulius

Instructions how pictures should be taken in the link of model description.
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saulius

While that's (very) cool, it's easy enough to simply have a Matterport tour created of the space.

I have reached out to the email sender to reply to the comments above; particularly why a Matterport tour is not sufficient for the story telling.

Dan
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Other thoughts?
Post 9 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod, the only reason I would not go with Matterport is you are restricted to points views from where the cameras were placed. Using a true 3D model would allow you to move to any point and have a view from that point. Also from 3D scans you can create fly throughs to give an overview. It also gives you the ability to disqualify witness integrity with these 3D models. I am definitely up for hearing more, location is a big factor and if this is criminal was a 3D model created by the law enforcement agency that investigated the crime, which this legal team would have access to.

But this might be a MP project for a Pro3 that gives you the best of both worlds walk through for just viewing and point cloud for modeling.
Post 10 IP   flag post
aerialpixels private msg quote post Address this user
@ron0987

exactly. matterport tour wont serve the purpose due to its limited point of views.
terestrial laser scanners like Trimble even have 'forensics packages' that come with forensic softare that works with point clouds.
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Osaka, Japan
Meidansha private msg quote post Address this user
The point cloud generated by the LEICA in its native software lets you check angles (vanatage points) even from points that were not scanned. LEICA offers its own subscription based cloud solution that can take advantage of this. Its not as pretty as matterport but it retains the functionality of the LEICA editing software in regard to the vantage point aspect I mentioned earlier.

https://leica-geosystems.com/products/laser-scanners/software/leica-truview/leica-truview-cloud
Post 12 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
@Meidansha FARO will do the same with a point cloud and the new MP Pro 3 when a point cloud is generated and Leica scanners all produce a point cloud. When you say rough when viewed can be over come with several options. You can take several softwares that allow you to create a model. But what I find very effective is over scanning of any area will create a model that is very dynamic and works similar to pixelation of digital photos. If you zoom in on a digital photo you will see similar pixelation. If you overscan the end product is very dynamic.
Post 13 IP   flag post
101429 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?