Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 1,001 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 33,924 Page Views | 18,799 Unique Visitors | 25 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
RealignScanningTipsVideo

Video: Matterport‘s Realign BETA & Tips18515

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Video: Matterport “Realign” Feature | Video courtesy of @Hopscotch Interactive YouTube Channel | 10 May 2023

Hi All,

Any thoughts about Matterport's realign beta feature?

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
GamelLarry private msg quote post Address this user
I agree, I had to revisit a site and used the realignment beta. It worked but I believe going old school works better. It was really slow
Post 2 IP   flag post
aerialpixels private msg quote post Address this user
I appreciate feature.
Same case for me, the scan aligned it self somewhere else in a very repetitive environment.

In most times, the realignment worked.
Some times it failed.

But from my little experience, it seems like if you realign the scan to a space where there isnt enough scan density points, even though the minimap looks full there (ie, no black areas), it finds it harder to realign.

So my tip is scan more points. Yea I know that seems counter productive.

Anyway, my 2 cents.
Post 3 IP   flag post
adostrophe private msg quote post Address this user
I was manually realigning a 30K sq ft space of 630+ scans. Each alignment took a good 2 minutes while smaller models were faster.
Interestingly, if we were to realign corner scan points or those near stairs, it makes a huge difference for the remaining scans.
There were jolts (misalignments) initially, which got fixed after realigning. The mini map in the app did show distortions but the final model came out clean post processing.

With all this taking up time, I think it redefines the best-practices that need to be followed from the next project onwards.
Post 4 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
I have to agree with a few points from both @aerialpixels @adostrophe. I found on larger repetitive spaces there seem to be alignment issues. I also found alignment issues in the area of corner scans. I have started to offset scans slightly on large buildings in the areas where I scan repeatedly in strait rows and scan more in the corners to avoid some of the alignment issues.

But back on topic the the tool itself I started using on larger building with over 200+ scans. I was using an older iPad Pro 10.5. It was slow to delete scans and I found the realignment tool was cumbersome and slow. It only had 3gig of operating memory. From using My Faro scanner and software, I found operating memory very crucial in the software, the more the better along with best processor available.

So I figured when looking at the specs for the new iPad Pro there was a significant enough difference to try that. So I bought the newest iPad Pro with 16 gigs of ram and the new M2 processor. This did seem to help.

But what I also noticed and now I watch a little more carefully is by the time you actually see an alignment issue it may have started a few scans prior. So on larger spaces I do slow done a little, zoom in more to verify alignment. Again as mentioned above slightly counter productive but it helps. But I also found sometimes finding where the scan starts to misalign if I can pin point where it has started misaligning that one scan will pull 2-3 scans in place. There has been a few times it’s failed then back to delete and rescan. But I do watch a little bit more closely. But now if I see the first sign of misalignment I have had better luck with the tool and the newer iPad.

Just my 2 cents on topic.
Post 5 IP   flag post
101722 5 5
This topic is archived. Start new topic?