Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 837 Unique Visitors
9,050 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 35,106 Page Views | 19,195 Unique Visitors | 29 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
MarketingNewbies

To promote Matterport or not to promote?1849

excelsior private msg quote post Address this user
Right off the bat I noticed that all of Matteport's free marketing graphics promoted Matterport. Then I see a similar trend here are we get around with the promotional videos and on lots of photographers websites. No doubt this helps Matterport and anyone wondering what is this new technology and how they can get the equipment and do it themselves. But how does it help me as a photographer? And more importantly, how does it hurt me as a photographer? Am I just making it easier for more photographers and realtors to get their own cameras and crowd the marketplace?

Wouldn't it be better to be a little more guarded and instead of promoting matterport's brand name promote ours?

On the other hand, by now Matterport is getting to be known and maybe some clients are looking for Matterport photographers so talking about it in our videos and websites may end their search with us.

And of course there is the two general world views, the one of scarcity and the other of abundance and the tendency for some to see the world in scarcity and that we are competing for limited resources and thus worry about more matterport photographers coming on board. And then there are those that tend to see the world in abundance and never see themselves in competition with others and so are free to give out all manner or free information to help others do the same thing they are and essentially compete with them.

I wonder what everyone thinks about this. Please chime in.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Chankane private msg quote post Address this user
I totally get you. There is nothing that differentiates you from others. At first I differentiated by saying "not all scans are the same". And I was able to justify it because I did better and more thorough scans. This however this easily copyable when others take notice.

Yes, we are in essence only benefiting Matterport in the long run. Matterport is the Creator... and we fall into the category of survival of the fittest...
Post 2 IP   flag post
suncoastskyview private msg quote post Address this user
Personally, we have no problem displaying the Matterport logo along with ours. So far it is the best 3D technology and the end customers are starting to understand and demand it. The enhanced visibility is good for all of us.

The realtors who want to buy a camera and do it themselves will soon realize that it is extremely expensive to get in, and quite tedious and time consuming to use. Perhaps in the future, new technology will develop that will change everything.

I don't think anyone here is immune to the feeling that Matterport cares a lot more about selling cameras than supporting us.

On the other hand, the tech support that we receive from them is quite good.
Post 3 IP   flag post
alx3D private msg quote post Address this user
When we started almost 2 years ago it was much easier to market without ever saying "Matterport" since then they have made changes to their Branding within the 3D showcase and drastic changes to their marketing approach. End result is a win for matterport but a loss for us, the professional pushing their product. I do not blame them for finding a successful marketing approach but hate that I effectively spent so much of my own time and money marketing their product for them. I know of at least 6 cameras and who knows how many scans that were bought because I introduced the client to the tech. MP is great but it will be hard to keep a sustainable business as the market gets flooded.
Post 4 IP   flag post
3Dwalkmethru private msg quote post Address this user
I am in a saturated real estate market and there is room for more cameras in the area. This benefits me but I use Matterport brand to market myself it gives me more credibility in the market place. In all fairness Matterport has a lot invested in this technology and they are out to make money like everyone else in the business world.

Right now I am being helped by their brand while I build my brand in my market place, I can always switch it over once I have a good client base and following. Create your position in your market, be the go to guy and you will win regardless.

Matterport has referred clients to me and I am sure many people here have also gotten leads from them, so the more exposure they have maybe will be better for the service providers in the long run. Try doing some web searches they come up, they have a "find a photographer" option on their site so that is good for us ..

I am a positive person and do not really worry about competition, I sell myself and my service create relationships and take care of my client base.

Bottom line there is only so much you can do as a service provider, Matterport has no limits.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Bluemarble1 private msg quote post Address this user
Rules of realtors
1. They are very frugal. Laying out 6-7K for camera and equipment not an option except for the $100m producers who likely already have one
2.Most suck at taking their own pics and 1 time shooting a multi story spce would cure all but the hard core of Matterportitis
3. Matterport is in their face everytime rhey go on social media

Embrace it while you can, we can likely ride the wave for 12-18 months before the technology is srandard on smartphones, the line "i have a matterport and i know how to use it!" Works 90% of the time
Post 6 IP   flag post
3Dwalkmethru private msg quote post Address this user
You really think that a handheld phone will be able to do what this camera does quality wise? Do not doubt it just think is little more out than 18 months ... If that is the case we are all in deep you know what .. Well lets hope our clients stay loyal and realize that our service and experience will deliver a better product and experience at the end. If Matterport comes out with the alternate they better cut us a deal for putting them on the map.
Post 7 IP   flag post
RealEstateReadines private msg quote post Address this user
As a Realtor and Matterport owner, I can tell you all that this is as easy as point-and-shoot technology. While there is an art to making great scans, it takes far less skill than DSLR. The cost to get in is not a scary part for a lot of Realtors, it is the time it takes to create a scan.

My 2 cents to everyone complaining about Matterport promoting themselves...how is that different than your camera saying Nikon or Cannon? Anyone can buy a fairly high quality DSLR camera. I remember being in real estate when digital photos came into play. The office pitched in and bought a camera for the office. The MLS only allowed us to but up a handful of photos. The reason for a digital photo was speed. You no longer had to go to Proex and wait a few days for your photos to be developed. Photographers learned to create a niche using the same technology, but created a better quality product and saved Realtors time.

Matterport is no different in the fact that a Realtor can and some will utilize it themselves. Don't waste your time worrying about how those few Realtors will take business away from you. They are entrepreneurs and risk takers and will make their own niche. Focus on working with those willing to pay for your service. In a hot housing market, Realtors may not need to spend the money to get a home sold. We have houses selling in our market before photographers are even taking photos....so why would they waste money on using a Matterport scan?

Closing thoughts....Matterport was not made for photographers to own and have a private hold on the industry. Anyone can own one, so quit worrying what brand name is being promoted on the equipment you use. Your service is what sets you apart, not the tools.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Bluemarble1 private msg quote post Address this user
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/mobile-phone/matterport-looks-to-take-virtual-reality-creation-to-mobile-devices-3617818/
Post 9 IP   flag post
Noel private msg quote post Address this user
@RealEstateReadines Great comments. Though Matterport are driving their marketing to Real Estate agents because of the numbers of agents. They also see that a camera is paid off via a percentage of the sale price in a year.
However after looking at what photographers do with their MP gear, I see that there is so much more which can scanned. Art Galleries, Yachts, Aircraft, Street art are just a few.
Agents are sales focused and they need to be good at it. Photographers need to be working with the agents to make them winners.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Mikesobay private msg quote post Address this user
Matterport are making a strategic mistake in my opinion. Agents, in the US and Australia, are largely uninterested in spending hours standing by a rotating camera or paying the monthly hosting fees. The exception might be the most successful agents, like the Altman brothers, who have a team to support them, including a photographer.

Matterport should, in my opinion, be supporting the real estate photographer community, aggressively encouraging realtors to use their services, while selling their product to RE photographers.

I would also like to see available marketing materials, such as their videos, focusing on the photographers' ability to create the product for the realtor-end -user, rather than trying to sell the product to disinterested realtors.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I'm inclined to avoid using free promotional materials that advertise for matterport at the moment. If I see people are actively looking for matterport photographers then I will change. In the meantime I will focus on offering total packages that distinguish my services from simply scanning a house.
Post 12 IP   flag post
davidpylyp private msg quote post Address this user
Insurance brokers re claims
Construction to bankers re staged advances based on completion
City Inspectors to prove wiring / plumbing is correct

There are so many applications

Seniors homes so their kids can look and inspect the interiors
RESTAURANTS to show off their kitchen cleanliness
Theatres to show their seating
Post 13 IP   flag post
tradetickers private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncoastskyview
Personally, we have no problem displaying the Matterport logo along with ours. So far it is the best 3D technology and the end customers are starting to understand and demand it. The enhanced visibility is good for all of us.

The realtors who want to buy a camera and do it themselves will soon realize that it is extremely expensive to get in, and quite tedious and time consuming to use. Perhaps in the future, new technology will develop that will change everything.

I don't think anyone here is immune to the feeling that Matterport cares a lot more about selling cameras than supporting us.

On the other hand, the tech support that we receive from them is quite good.
So far it's the best. A company out of Israel is working on one that will rival this that can be used outdoors with zero issues.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Shane private msg quote post Address this user
How does the Matterport recommendation work?

@3Dwalkmethru your quote:
Matterport has referred clients to me and I am sure many people here have also gotten leads from them, so the more exposure they have maybe will be better for the service providers in the long run.

I didn't know they had this service so I asked a friend to fill out the Matterport Service Provider form using my town and postcode.

I was horrified that the reply recommended a company over 100klm away. The form also said it would send details of 3 providers but only 1 arrived and it was not me.

I have written to Matterport Support asking why I had not been the preferred supplier in my very own area.

In the meantime whilst I await their reply, does anyone know if there is an additional fee or subscription level that precludes me from being recommended?
Post 15 IP   flag post
Shane,
Did you register with Matterport to become a Matterport Service Provider? https://matterport.com/become-an-msp/
Post 16 IP   flag post
Shane private msg quote post Address this user
@excelsior Thanks for the link. Yes I did some time back. I'll wait to hear from Matterport and consider filling out the form again. Thanks @excelsior
Post 17 IP   flag post
WGAN
Basic Member
Boston
Noddy private msg quote post Address this user
Shane,
How did it get resolved? Did Matterport fix it so that you are now showing up from a form inquiry? I also thought to test this but haven't yet done it. Thanks for posting about your experience.
Post 18 IP   flag post
101628 18 18
This topic is archived. Start new topic?