Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 30 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
BatteriesPro3Pro3 ProblemsWiFi

Matterport Pro3 wifi problem in the middle of a project in africa18447

WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
GETMYVR private msg quote post Address this user
The only other thing I can think of is somehow using a different iPad, downloading the capture app, and try again with a new device.
Post 26 IP   flag post
ovrlebanon private msg quote post Address this user
@Sdoughtie thank you for your proposition. I am scanning an outside area which is only possible using the pro3 or blk360. scanning with any other device isn't an option especially if the client is interested in the facade.

It is really devastating how the Matterport pro3 stopped transmitting wifi and there is no cable connection option to troubleshoot whenever connecting to it isn't possible.

@DanSmigrod I will try to upload a video asap and thank you for the referencing. Something else is happening with me, nevertheless, I tried putting the Matterport pro3 in many different locations with no luck. The pro3 wifi didn't show at any location and on no devices.

@GETMYVR thank you for the proposition. unfortunately, it is not a capture app problem, the problem is that I cannot find the wifi of the camera on any device in order to connect to it and then open the capture app and start operating from there.

One sure and sad thing is that traveling with Matterport pro3 for overseas projects now comes with possibly huge risks!!
Post 27 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@ovrlebanon

Which country in Africa are you?

I ask because I recall 7+ years ago, a WGAN Forum Member reported a Wi-Fi connectivity issue (because Matterport did not work Wi-Fi in that country).

For example, on this Matterport Support page, it says:

What frequency band and power does Pro3's WiFi transmit over?
Pro3 WiFi frequency band and power can depend on the country the camera is operating in. WiFI emissions adhere to the regulatory requirements in countries where Pro3 is sold.

Perhaps Matterport does not support the Wi-Fi standard in the African country where you are now?

Also ...

On this Matterport Support page lasted updated 15 September 2022 - for the Matterport Pro2 Camera - it says:

WiFi to transfer data from camera to iPad through the Capture app. WiFi 802.11 n/ac 5 GHz. The available modes may be restricted in your country.

Update your firmware for the latest functionality and fixes. Pro2 cameras with old firmware (version 1.1.585 or below) will not work in the following countries:

1. Armenia
2. Bahrain
3. Ecuador
4. Indonesia
5. Sri Lanka
6. Costa Rica
7. El Salvador

Please update your firmware or use a Pro 3D Camera. You can also contact us for more details.

Perhaps you are the first person to use a Matterport Pro3 Camera in this African country and have identified a Matterport Pro3 Camera Wi-Fi country compatibility issue that has not yet been identified to add to a list of known country issues with Wi-Fi compatibility.

---

As a next step, you might:

1. Google to see what the Wi-Fi standard is in your African country
2. Check this Matterport Pro3 Camera Support Page - last updated 19 January 2023 - to see if that Wi-Fi standard in your African country is supported.
3. I also found this Matterport Support page about Wi-Fi Standard: EN 301 893 V2.1.1. (2017-05)

WiFi 802.11 5GHz communication with mobile device running Matterport App

Your thoughts?

Dan
Post 28 IP   flag post
aerialpixels private msg quote post Address this user
I am really sorry to hear this. Must be so stressful and upsetting!

I asked chatgpt (known for making errors) how to do a factory reset for the pro3.
I think it gave the instructions for a Pro2, but i cannot confirm is this is legit.

Seems to me that it would be prudent to have some factory reset capability on the Pro3.
If inferring from below chatgpt message, maybe press and hold for 10 seconds? or more? or just try your luck on
other combinations of press-hold

I had some issues with turning on the camera before, and just fiddling with long/short presses finally turned it on.

Other idea I have is after removing battery, press and hold the power button?
In some devices, this causes any remnant charge in camera to be fully discharged.

====ChatGPT=====
To perform a factory reset on the Matterport Pro3 camera, follow these steps:

Press and hold the Power button for 10 seconds until the LED light turns off.
Release the Power button and wait for 5 seconds.
Press and hold the Power button and the Wi-Fi button simultaneously for 10 seconds until the LED light turns off.
Release both buttons and wait for the LED light to turn green.
Press and hold the Wi-Fi button for 10 seconds until the LED light turns off.
Release the Wi-Fi button and wait for the LED light to turn green.
Your Matterport Pro3 camera has now been reset to its factory settings. Please note that this will erase all of your camera's settings and data, so make sure to back up any important information before performing the reset.
Post 29 IP   flag post
@DanSmigrod thank you for the references.

My project is in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Kinshasa. I am not sure what the wifi standards are here, but one thing I am sure about is that, as a user, I should always be able to connect to the camera to troubleshoot, update, or fix.
If Matterports will wait for all cases to happen in order to have them all covered with firmware updates, I am afraid most MSPs will cover project expenses from their own pockets and come back home with unfinished projects, just like what is happening to me.

Sadly in my case, I am 14 flight hours away from home, and the trip expenses I will be personally covering are too high. Not to forget that I have to come back and pay again all expenses after the camera is fixed in order to finalize the project and get paid. I trust Matterport should cover these.

@aerialpixels thank you for the proposition. I tried what can be done but still, the Matterport pro3 transmits no wifi!
Post 30 IP   flag post

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovrlebanon
@DanSmigrod thank you for the references.

My project is in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Kinshasa. I am not sure what the wifi standards are here, but one thing I am sure about is that, as a user, I should always be able to connect to the camera to troubleshoot, update, or fix.
If Matterports will wait for all cases to happen in order to have them all covered with firmware updates, I am afraid most MSPs will cover project expenses from their own pockets and come back home with unfinished projects, just like what is happening to me.

Sadly in my case, I am 14 flight hours away from home, and the trip expenses I will be personally covering are too high. Not to forget that I have to come back and pay again all expenses after the camera is fixed in order to finalize the project and get paid. I trust Matterport should cover these.

@ovrlebanon

I am only guessing here that Matterport may not support the Wi-Fi that is in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Kinshasa

Dan
Post 31 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Suisun City, California
ScanYourSpace private msg quote post Address this user
It seems like you tried everything.. have you posted on the matterport facebook group?
Facebook Group

Lastly, if I were you I'd call customer support and not get off the phone until they have a solution, this seems like an urgent matter, they should address it as such.
Post 32 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@ovrlebanon

I asked GPT-4:

"wifi standards" in Democratic Republic of the Congo, Kinshasa

GPT-4 Replied:

As an AI language model, I cannot provide real-time information, but I can give you an overview of WiFi standards that may be common in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo, as of my last knowledge update in 2021.

WiFi standards are globally recognized and follow the same set of protocols defined by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE). The most common WiFi standards are:

802.11b (Wi-Fi 1)
802.11a (Wi-Fi 2)
802.11g (Wi-Fi 3)
802.11n (Wi-Fi 4)
802.11ac (Wi-Fi 5)
802.11ax (Wi-Fi 6)
In Kinshasa, like in most urban areas around the world, you are likely to find WiFi networks based on the more recent standards, such as 802.11n (Wi-Fi 4), 802.11ac (Wi-Fi 5), and 802.11ax (Wi-Fi 6). These standards offer higher data transfer rates, better range, and improved performance.

However, it is important to note that network availability, speed, and reliability can vary significantly depending on factors such as infrastructure, internet service providers, and local regulations. To get the most up-to-date information on WiFi standards and availability in Kinshasa, you should consult local sources or recent travelers to the area.

I replied:

What website will bell me the current "wifi standards" in Democratic Republic of the Congo, Kinshasa?

I cannot point you to a specific website that provides real-time information on WiFi standards in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo. However, you can try the following resources to get more information:

Local Internet Service Providers (ISPs): Websites of ISPs operating in Kinshasa or the Democratic Republic of the Congo may have information on the WiFi standards they support. Examples of ISPs in the DRC include Vodacom, Airtel, and Africell. You can visit their websites to see if they provide information on the WiFi standards they use.

Online forums and social media: Websites like Reddit, Quora, or even Facebook groups can be helpful resources for connecting with people who live in Kinshasa or have recently traveled there. They may be able to provide firsthand information on WiFi standards and internet service quality in the area.

Travel websites: Websites like TripAdvisor, Lonely Planet, or travel blogs may have information on WiFi availability and standards in Kinshasa. Travelers often share their experiences with local internet services, which can give you an idea of what to expect.

Remember that WiFi standards are typically global, and the most recent ones like 802.11n (Wi-Fi 4), 802.11ac (Wi-Fi 5), and 802.11ax (Wi-Fi 6) are likely to be found in urban areas like Kinshasa. Nonetheless, it's a good idea to research and ask around to get the most accurate and up-to-date information.

---

Again, I am just guessing that the Wi-Fi Standard where you are may not be the version that Matterport uses.

Dan
Post 33 IP   flag post
@DanSmigrod thank you for the lovely reply.

Knowing that the Matteport pro3 was transmitting wifi, connected to the iPad, and scanning all day long, why would it take the wifi standards into consideration and stop transmitting wifi or transmitting a certain wifi signal that is not recognizable by the same iPad just after I turn it off, replaced the battery and turned it on again?

What really happened when I turned it off, changed the battery, and turned it on again?

Option 1: The Matterport Pro3 located itself in Africa and changed something related to the wifi signal.
For this option, it is Matterport duty to think of such cases prior to putting the camera to market and:

Make sure that there is a way to reset the cam, connect to it, and install the firmware that solves this issue without the need to fly back home or away from Africa
or
Make sure that users can always connect to the camera under any circumstances
or
Provide a way to connect to the pro3 using Bluetooth or Cable in case the camera is failing to connect using wifi

Option 2: The wifi element in the camera failed or stopped working on a camera that is 15 days old, which is something very alerting and I trust would make everyone question whether to buy or not buy the pro3!

In both cases, I trust Matterport is responsible and I hope they take responsibility for this and cover the expenses I have to pay to fly back and continue the project.
Post 34 IP   flag post
GarySnyder private msg quote post Address this user
Please note that the Pro3 is it's own WiFi transceiver so it makes no difference where you are at as you should be able to receive the Pro3 WiFi signal. Unless that the Pro3 uses GPS to determine the broadcast standards for each country it is located in. If that was the case there should be a message popping up somewhere on the display stating that the Pro3 is non WiFi compliant in this country. I doubt very seriously that the Pro3 is that smart and most likely either the Pro3 is not transmitting or your receiving device is having an issue.

Question what device are you controlling the Pro3 from?
Post 35 IP   flag post
Sorry just read your thread. So WiFi was working correctly at first till you charged the battery.

Again can you make sure that your MP iPad app did not revert to use the iPad's internal camera. This has happen to me several times. As for some reason if the MP iPad app does not see a WiFi signal from the camera it reverts to the iPad internal camera.
Post 36 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Suisun City, California
From Matterports website:

I can't connect to my camera.
Make sure the camera is turned on. Many cameras shut off automatically if they're inactive for awhile. For example, the Pro2 automatically shuts off after 30 minutes of inactivity.
Make sure the camera is fully charged. After it's fully charged, try reconnecting the device to the camera.

I lost connection to my camera.
Make sure the camera is on.
Make sure the camera is fully charged.
Make sure you're connected to the camera's WiFi.
If you move out of range, the connection will drop and your device will switch to mobile data, which heavily fluctuates.
Check the signal strength of your WiFi connection.
Move your device closer to the camera.
Try turning off the following:
Bluetooth
Cellular data
Microwave ovens
All other WiFi networks (if possible)

Support
Post 37 IP   flag post
@GarySnyder unfortunately it is not a capture app problem or miss use. The problem is with the Matterport Pro3 wifi that should be visible to any device. I cannot find the wifi of the camera in any phone's, iPad's, or even laptop's wifi settings.

Even even there was a firmware update that fixes this, i cannot connect to the camera to install install since the camera wifi isn't visible anymore.
Post 38 IP   flag post
I really feel for you as I know what it's like to have piece of equipment fail on a remote shoot.

I'd press MP to tell them you on a remote shoot and you need a replacement sent out to you ASAP or you will hold MP personally reconcilable for the total expenses incurred as well as post on everyone of their social platforms that you have incurred a loss of $0000.00 as a result of this camera failing in the field. You will also post a notice on all forums that the Pro3 was rushed to market before it was ready and several user have experienced serious problems.

Just reading Dan's vital forum there has been many instances where the Pro3 has failed. In fact I feel that a class action suit could be justified as in every case of a frailer the user has incurred not just a financial loss but a professional loss of credibility and if this happen with a major client to losses can be irrecoverable.

Dan you may want to start another string to this thread that covers losses incurred for users of the Pro3 which incurred.
Post 39 IP   flag post
@GarySnyder I totally agree, it is unexplainable the situation I am in.

In addition to not being able to finish the job,

1- the client now requires me to come back on my expenses to finish the job because the virtual tour we are creating is a needed extension of another one that was already submitted to the London Design Biennale 2023.
Having this extension of the exterior was a must for the LDB. This is why I purchased the pro3 and came to Kinshasa.

2- The weather is on the verge of changing to becoming rainy every day which might now become a second problem when I come back.

3- I work with a marketing agency that has secured multiple leads that I was planning to meet with and turn into clients especially since I am in Kinshasa and I have my equipment. Not anymore with a MAtterport Pro3 with no wifi.

4- How can I be sure that when I come back to Kinshasa or travel to any country, the pro3 will not fail another time and cause all the financial, reputation, and credibility problems?

and this is the least I can say!
Post 40 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@ovrlebanon

Again. I am just guessing that it is a Wi-Fi issue. I could imagine that when you switched batteries, that reset something in the Pro3 that makes it incompatible in Democratic Republic of the Congo, Kinshasa

Matterport does not show the Matterport Pro3 Camera available for sale in Africa, according to this Matterport Support page (last updated January 17, 2023.

I can appreciate that buy is different than use, but I do not see anything on Matterport Support site about Africa.

Is this an option for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by @ScanYourSpace
Lastly, if I were you I'd call customer support and not get off the phone until they have a solution, this seems like an urgent matter, they should address it as such.

If you do call, please let Matterport Support know your location.

Thinking good thoughts for you.

Dan
Post 41 IP   flag post
@DanSmigrod

I totally agree with you, something happened after I turned it off, but I am sure that whatever happened shouldn't have happened unless Matterport specifies that we can only with the Matterport pro3 in certain locations and prior update requests be made in order to work operate in non listed locations.

Also, I previously scanned the interior of this space with the pro2 10 months ago on multiple days with no problems at all.

As for the support, I did call them 3 times now, had long conversations and explained how bad and urgent is the situation and they weren't capable of doing anything.

1- They proposed I go back to Lebanon where the camera will locate itself and work again perfectly.
2- They issued an RMA which might postpone at least 4 projects or even loose them while i wait for the replacement to come (let alone the reputation and the credibility of my company with international clients)
3- The engineers subscribed me to a beta program that downloads a beta firmware to my devices. The weird thing is how come pro3 engineers let me download a beta firmware knowing that i cannot connect to the camera to install it!

In short, i am in a very bad situation that is affecting this and 4 more projects due to the Pro3 problem.

I simply loved the camera and the results it generated, but now ... I am not sure anymore!
Post 42 IP   flag post
I know for a fact there are countries who are on the State Department Sanction list. In this case MP will not process scans and an notice is place on the uploaded scan stating that this scan is in violation of the US State Department Sanction list of forbidden countries to operate in. I have not come across issues where the camera does not work.

Looking at the State Department list of Sanctions countries. It appears that individuals within the DRC are under Stated Department sanctions but not the country so this should not be an issue.
Post 43 IP   flag post
dave3d private msg quote post Address this user
Really sorry to hear this ovrlebanon. One thing to consider. Even on local jobs our techs carry 2 cameras. For long distance it’s duplicate everything. We’ve had cameras damaged in drops and such. Given the cost of your trips even if rented a 2nd helps you understand what’s happening and why and gets you through accidents.
Post 44 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Suisun City, California
I Just logged in yesterday to matterport app and saw there was a firmware update. part of that was "Improves adaptive wifi channel selection to avoid congestion and adapt to country-specific requirements". not sure if you're still on site but hopefully this may help.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Dear Everyone,

This is an update because you deserve to know.

1- Matterport insisted that if I go to a border the camera will know it is somewhere specific and start transmitting wifi. Going to a border in Africa is not possible (knowing that Kinshasa where the camera failed me is already on the border of DRC) so I:
a- I turned on the camera in the airplane => no wifi to connect to
b- I turned on the camera once I reached turkey => no wifi
c- Turned on the camera once I reached Lebanon (where the camera used to work before i left for the project) => no wifi

2- Matterport finally proceeded with the RMA after 8 days(return and replacement with a new one) but I was informed that they have non in stock and they are not sure when a batch will arrive. Currently without a camera to use and waiting indefinitely for the stock to arrive (hopefully soon)

3- I proposed to have my camera refunded because I am still within the 30 days period but they made it feel so hard with multiple levels of approvals, so I dropped it.

4- Currently, to not lose my first project, (I am sure other projects will follow), I am renting a pro3 camera at 250$ per day.

5- I asked for compensation for all the expenses I had to cover because my pro3 failed in the field. the customer support told me that they need to get back to the manager, that was a few days ago, and still no answer.

In brief, I purchased a new pro3 3 weeks ago and I am currently renting one to not lose projects or hurt my reputation.

I will keep on updating you.
Post 46 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@ovrlebanon

Thank you for sharing.

Wish it was better news.

I could imagine that if you insist on a return and refund; not replacement, Matterport will somehow find a new camera to ship to you.

Today is the last day of the month and quarter. Ask for the transaction to happen today. That would likely motivate them not to reduce revenue today.

Dan
Post 47 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Is bluetooth ON on your Ipad On?

Quote:
Originally Posted by "https://support.matterport.com/"

The app uses Bluetooth to find the camera, and then uses WiFi to connect to it. Having both Bluetooth and WiFi enabled makes setup a bit easier, because you can do it all from the app and don’t have to open the Settings menu on your device. If you don’t have Bluetooth enabled, you can still connect, but you’ll have to go from the app to the Settings menu.

https://support.matterport.com/s/article/FAQ-Pro3-Camera?language=en_US

Also try to turn location service off on your Ipad
Post 48 IP   flag post
aerialpixels private msg quote post Address this user
@ovrlebanon

So Matterport is indeed trying to insist that their camera only works in certain parts of the world?

Are there such things as location spoofers on ipad / iOS?
Because if you can spoof your location, maybe then the camera can work in a location its not supposed to.
I believe location spoofer apps are available on Android.

This is of course assuming the location is gotten from the mobile device,
and there is no GPS module etc in the camera unit itself.
But then again, if people were scanning deep in concrete structures, I doubt GPS or other location modules can get any signals.

But also noted that you said you still had no wifi when you were back in Lebanon.
Post 49 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
@ovrlebanon I was just trying to follow up on this topic did Matterport ever determine what the issue was?
Post 50 IP   flag post
101635 50 25
This topic is archived. Start new topic?