Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
CompetitionMatterportMatterport Capture Services ProgramMatterport Digital ProStealing

Matterport's latest Invasion18401

WGAN Basic
Las Vegas
DaveFahrny private msg quote post Address this user
I completed a scan and when I opened it this is what comes up. They are directly going to steal my client with my own Virtual Tour

Post 1 IP   flag post
BeyondFrontDoor private msg quote post Address this user
That's business my friend...make sure you offer a more competitive product. Make sure you can give your client knows you as a one stop shop so that it makes little sense to try and juggle to vendors. Make sure your end product offers more value. The competition is always there and it some point our services will become extinct as well...just wait til a robot can do our job for a fraction of the cost.
Post 2 IP   flag post
selder76 private msg quote post Address this user
What the actual F, Matterport? They are biting the hand that feeds them SO hard with crap like this. Their scheduling model is garbage and it is NOT working for them. Plus, anyone who delivers locally is always going to produce a model faster than 24-48 hours AND be trusted by the client. This is disgraceful.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Las Vegas
So we just lay down & accept whatever they do. I have been using matterport since 2015 and have not said much. This is too much. I hope the day comes when there will be a viable alternative.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Suisun City, California
ScanYourSpace private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFahrny
I completed a scan and when I opened it this is what comes up. They are directly going to steal my client with my own Virtual Tour

can you type out the exact steps to showing this? I put a tour url into an incognito window on chrome and I don't see the same thing (capture services promo) but I've heard others have seen it

When I launch one of my tours (branded)I do see in the banner "capture your own space" which takes me to here

On the unbranded tour I see the same "capture your own space"
on the mls version of the tour there is no "capture your own space"

Tom Sparks Scan Your Space (a Division of Sparks Media Group) Founder and CEO Tom Sparks |
www.ScanYourSpace.com | www.SparksMediaGroup.com |
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
So we just lay down & accept whatever they do. I have been using matterport since 2015 and have not said much. This is too much. I hope the day comes when there will be a viable alternative.
I'm not saying that....just make sure you are diversified. It's like any business....nothing last forever. You sound kind of like the oil companies complaining about EVs...Matterport has a duty to their shareholders to make money and they will usually do it at the expense of the ones who helped them build their success.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@BeyondFrontDoor business is business when it comes to competition. You're right. However, this complaint is valid in the shadiness of how they are doing it. Come at me with every competing product you want. I'll evolve and compete in one way or another. However, come at me ethically. Don't write code on the back end of the product I purchase that tells my customers that they should consider not working with me. It's just shady as hell. This behavior is precisely why every MSP I know can't wait for another alternative.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by selder76
@BeyondFrontDoor business is business when it comes to competition. You're right. However, this complaint is valid in the shadiness of how they are doing it. Come at me with every competing product you want. I'll evolve and compete in one way or another. However, come at me ethically. Don't write code on the back end of the product I purchase that tells my customers that they should consider not working with me. It's just shady as hell. This behavior is precisely why every MSP I know can't wait for another alternative.
I hear you, but I would argue these huge corporations don't have a soul and this don't have a conscience like you and I. That's why we work for ourselves because we can control how we conduct business.
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Las Vegas
Is there no recourse?
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Suisun City, California
Quote:

Matterport is/can be your competition just like the "little guy" down the street offering the same services as you are for $400 cheaper. know your core customer and what they want and offer it at a rate you're comfortable with. that's how you succeed. don't worry about every person who is trying to compete for that customer, you'll take your eye off the ball and strike out!

watch my video about their capture services, you shouldn't be worried!

or

Tom Sparks Scan Your Space (a Division of Sparks Media Group) Founder and CEO Tom Sparks |
www.ScanYourSpace.com | www.SparksMediaGroup.com
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Suisun City, California
Quote:
Is there no recourse?

Switch to a competitor... like iGuide

Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Actually it is very bad and Matterport is asking for legal problems. The whole idea with media like this is that you promote whatever your customer needs to and you also promote your services. With this at the bottom is not just killing this idea it is also misrepresenting you. You have done it and it is you behind the quality with all your skills and understanding all your customer goals, not Capture services.
With this shown on your media there is no point to have any portfolio with tours or show them on social as it just give more jobs somebody's else involved in these services and Matterport.

I am with Matterport for 5 years and nothing has been done to add a photographer's name and details to a tour so some of us just use presented field for it which is a bit wrong. But as soon as Matterport decided to tap into somebody's work for advertising there for their own services it was done in no time.
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
BTW, has anybody seen it when you use embed? Since mobile phones open new tab for a tour and even on the screenshot you can see it is loaded from matterport I think may be they do not do it in embed code and when a tour is open on a desktop/laptop.
Post 13 IP   flag post
@ScanYourSpace Image quality isn't comparable.
Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Suisun City, California
Quote:
@ScanYourSpace Image quality isn't comparable.

Image quality of what?

Post 15 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Las Vegas
I appreciate the comments! Thank You Everyone.
It is sickening to me that they can get away with this. Or maybe not!
I took a multi level phone company to task for how they changed their contract. Remember Excel Communications. They spent 250,000 defending. I had a Billion class action ready to Go out of Santa Barbara. You just never know what the future brings.
Post 16 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
VTLV private msg quote post Address this user
Well folks, it looks like the end of the world is finally upon us. But don't worry, because corporate greed is still alive and well! Many of us signed up for a Matterport hosting service long ago, because apparently having a 360-degree virtual tour as part of our business is the key to success in this day and age. But little did we know, we were actually giving up our hard-earned dollars in efforts to be a pawn in Matterport's shameless advertising game.

That's right, Matterport has decided that it's perfectly acceptable to advertise directly to our very own customers. Because why should we have any say whatsoever in how our business is presented to the world, right? Clearly, our customers are just sitting ducks waiting to be bombarded with more ads, and Matterport is more than happy to oblige.

It's almost impressive, really. The sheer audacity of a company to take our money and then use our platform to advertise their own services is truly a testament to the power of corporate greed. But hey, who needs ethics when you've got profits, right?

So, if you too are a fan of having your customers bombarded with unwanted ads, we highly recommend signing up for Matterport's hosting service. Don't be surprised when your customers start asking you why they're being targeted with ads for a service you didn't even sign them up for. Sorry @DaveFahrny as we watch the saga continue...

On a serious note Dave. Can you check and see if you have a place in settings that is allowing this ad to be placed.

Post 17 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
Home3D private msg quote post Address this user
Stay ahead of the curve, innovate, and deliver the best quality possible. Photographers who work for these services will never compete on that level. That's why they're willing to work so cheaply.

FAST - GOOD - CHEAP Pick two!
Post 18 IP   flag post
Buster6070 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScanYourSpace
Quote:
Is there no recourse?

Switch to a competitor... like iGuide

I have iGuide and prefer their platform and pricing, but their guided tour isn't as good or have as many options as Matterports. So my clients prefer Matterport.

As for this advertising to a paying subscribers client is ridiculous. I'm paying for their services already. This is comparable to a web hosting company advertising property websites on your site to realtors. How is this legal?
Post 19 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTLV

On a serious note Dave. Can you check and see if you have a place in settings that is allowing this ad to be placed.

Based on its description it seems it will only turn off Capture Services offer in a menu shown to collaborators on your account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home3D
Stay ahead of the curve, innovate, and deliver the best quality possible. Photographers who work for these services will never compete on that level. That's why they're willing to work so cheaply.

I am afraid it won't work that way no matter what quality of a 3D tour you can produce. The users who see their add have no idea who they are going to order a tour from. So it is tricking users who may want to book the photographer who has done the tour they are exploring while they won't be booking them.
Post 20 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Las Vegas
Thanks VTLV I will check. To the other comment. When the finished scan email was opened is when the ad I posted came up. Where else does it show up?
I think what matterport is doing is just unconscionable.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Gerhard private msg quote post Address this user
@DaveFahrny that capture service toggle is not only for you, think Matterport will send you the lead it's a joke, but they have also been a joke since their new CEO. And we all just take this with some vaseline every time.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
Queen_City_3D private msg quote post Address this user
Just wanted to add to this discussion...

I noticed in the "Space Details" section at the top left of your matterport model that they have a URL link to "Capture Your Own Space".

If you use the parameter &mls=1 after the Matterport URL that does disappear, but then so does your branding info.

What I wanted to point out though is how misleading the page is when you go there:

It tells the consumer that they can sign up for a "FREE ACCOUNT... FOR AS LONG AS YOU WANT... NO TIME LIMITS... NO CREDIT CARD NEEDED".

A reasonable consumer is going to think this means that they can create a similar model to what they just viewed (seeing how it was a URL on that model that brought them to this page) and that there would be no cost to share the resulting model. What that reasonable consumer doesn't know though is that the free account applies to iOS, Android and 360 Cameras. The model they looked at that took them to that page was done with a Pro2 camera. But how would they know that?

When the viewer is the customer who is paying you, the MSP, for continued hosting of the model it creates confusion on why there's that ongoing cost.

This is a yet another frustration (besides the fact that they are pitching their services to the MSPs own existing clientele).

Ugh.
Post 23 IP   flag post
dave3d private msg quote post Address this user
So…. (For now) Can you use an overlay provider like Captur3d to provide your branding? And Matterport has always advertised on the tours haven’t they? On the bottom right corner of the tour entry page hasn’t there has always been a Matterport logo symbol that’s a link to their site?

Are things changing? Yes. Are they through changing? No.

Keep your six guns loaded, horse fed, and ride the comfiest saddle you own. This is the Wild West of tech.
Post 24 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen_City_3D
Just wanted to add to this discussion...

I noticed in the "Space Details" section at the top left of your matterport model that they have a URL link to "Capture Your Own Space".

I am finalising this one for my client and it does not have it. It has been captured with a Pro3

Never mind tags not showing photos, it is a bug I have just reported to Matterport support. No matter if I try PNG or JPEG I am always getting "upload failed" So I have just created these tags to add all relevant photos after they fix their upload.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
Queen_City_3D private msg quote post Address this user
@Wingman it’s there.

Post 26 IP   flag post
I’m forwarding all this onto our attorney. Thinking a class action sounds pretty sweet if they continue this.
Post 27 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen_City_3D
@Wingman it’s there.

So it seems it is on mobile phones only because as you can see using it on a website and looking at it on a desktop does not show it. And I have just checked a direct link on a desktop and it is not showing it there.

I was going to suggest to write some javascript code & attach it inline the embed code or as a javascript file to wipe it off. But because on mobile phones their embed code does not work now you cannot wipe it off since it is coming for viewing directly from my.matterport.com
Post 28 IP   flag post
Founder
Nail Soup Media
Sarasota, Florida
GlennTremain private msg quote post Address this user
Isn't this tortious interference?
Post 29 IP   flag post
101429 29 29
This topic is archived. Start new topic?