Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 759 Unique Visitors
9,061 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 35,193 Page Views | 18,996 Unique Visitors | 27 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
EventsGeo Week 2023

GEO Week 2023 Report: Highlights from this Annual Conference18308

ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
GEO Week 2023 Report: Highlights from this Annual Conference

Geo Week 2023 review. I was able to attend thanks to Dan’s connections and getting me in. The overall conference was good and this is again just my opinions.

The biggest focus on Geo week that I saw was the focus on GIS, geographic information systems. I personally think this term will start to morph into global information system.

So many topics focused on global platforms of information and being able to access it. The conference was so large and had so much information this is just a small segment of information.

So where do I start, I was surprised to find out that several presenters enter this field with the exact same thought process that I had. I found a new tool Matterport, when I first started that presented me a business opportunity that overlapped a personal passion of photography.

I was surprised to hear so many similarities to my story of entering the business of photographing homes with still shots and Matterport tours.

Just to find out that as good as it started out there was a lull for several small businesses. Like me several did not embrace the equipment we had and move forward to expand their business to other opportunities. The ones that did are thriving.

Which leads me to one of themes of Geo Week, how to store and or access the information. What applications to use the information that was gathered.

Let’s take Matterport was it accidental or was the bottom line thought process from the beginning to gather this information with the thought process to create the largest data base of homes and businesses. Several presenters also talked about data bases of information to be used for other uses. I saw a presentation that talked about Google and Amazon analytics using these data bases to help other businesses.

Another topic was using the currently captured data to document new upgrades, whether that is buildings, utilities or roads.

It could be as simple as underground utilities being installed. In the future how nice it would be to look at the utilities being documented as they are being installed and it only taking a few minutes to do this documentation. You would be able to see is there one or six pipes being installed and the format they are being installed exactly as it is being done.

Using these same data bases to provide information in an emergency, earthquake, fires, hurricanes and large loss catastrophes. Whether it’s a home, commercial office space, or strip malls. You can use these data bases to show what was there whether you're responding as a first responder to figure out what was there and formulate a plan to help people or looking at it as an insurance company trying to have a base line to start repairs and replacement.

The same data base in large cities to be used to support self-driving car programs. Google and Amazon analytics would use data captured on the exterior of the buildings to know where these vehicles are going and recognize where they are at while driving the streets.

Dan reported on a new feature in Matterport which I think was a common theme in several software’s showcased at the show and a big topic which was asset recognition. This again supports a statement I made a while back that Matterport is moving more to commercial property. These features have such a large broad application across not only Matterport but other platforms.

This was just a little of what I saw at the conference. I will post more on my interaction with Matterport while at the conference.
Post 1 IP   flag post
daslack private msg quote post Address this user
@ron0987 Hello Ron, I really enjoyed reading both of your reviews of GEO Week. Your takes were quite interesting. I was in Denver the weekend before GEO Week started and I debated staying to attend for a day or two. However, after reviewing the vendors and speakers I had determined that it was more of a GIS event that probably really didn't apply to me very much. It sounds like that was definitely the case, but you laid out some very compelling uses for this information.

This has been a difficult business to get into, but I don't give up on things very easily. The hardest part for me is to get other businesses to buy into all of the things that I can offer them. Real estate agents don't like to share their commissions.

However, the most valuable thing that I took away from your commentary was that there are so many avenues to follow that don't even involve the marketing of real estate. To be honest, it is the spatial data that fascinates me the most about my Matterport equipment.

Thanks for the information!
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Video: Matterport's Sweet Spot is Spatial Data for Enterprise at Scale | Video courtesy of www.WGAN-TV.com YouTube Channel | 24 March 2022

@ron0987

Thanks SO much for your thoughts on Geo Week. Much appreciated.

@daslack

Because of your interest in Matterport spatial data, I thought you might find this helpful/interesting:

=> Matterport's Sweet Spot is Spatial Data for Enterprise at Scale

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
daslack private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod Thanks for sending that along Dan!
Post 4 IP   flag post
101872 4 4
This topic is archived. Start new topic?