Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AECBLK360Buy CameraOutdoorsPro3Questions

Benefits of buying a Matterport Pro3?18137

bwest360 private msg quote post Address this user
Hello,

I have a sizable Matterport business in Colorado. We are shooting hundreds of properties a year, mainly residential homes and apartments. Do you think it is necessary to buy the Pro3?

I really think the quality and speed of the new Pro3 would be very beneficial.

I also think it could help get involved in new business verticals such as construction.

Is it worth the 6k? It would also be a nice business write off.
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Suisun City, California
ScanYourSpace private msg quote post Address this user
Hi!

Are you doing any outside scanning at all?

The speed is impressive. I have several videos [in the We Get Around Network Forum. See WGAN Forum Tag: Sparks Media Group] or my YouTube Channel.]

This house I scanned in under an hour. The lot size was 7,800 sq ft and the house size was 1,800 sq ft.

regarding AEC... the general consensus I get from professionals is that the pro3 is not preferred for AEC. Most would say the BLK 360 gen 2 is better for accuracy.
Post 2 IP   flag post
selder76 private msg quote post Address this user
Speed and exterior for sure are worth the investment. Plus not many are buying it which makes your business stand out for having it!
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Cayman Islands
Harrycayman private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScanYourSpace
Hi!

Are you doing any outside scanning at all?

The speed is impressive. I have several videos [in the We Get Around Network Forum. See WGAN Forum Tag: Sparks Media Group] or my YouTube Channel.]
This house I scanned in under an hour. The lot size was 7,800 sq ft and the house size was 1,800 sq ft.

regarding AEC... the general consensus I get from professionals is that the pro3 is not preferred for AEC. Most would say the BLK 360 gen 2 is better for accuracy.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Cayman Islands
Harrycayman private msg quote post Address this user
Hi

BLK gen 2 cannot be used with Matterport app? I understand. So, if client wants a 3d walk thru you would still have to use pro 2 or pro-3. I also have been told when i comes to normal offices and stores with a low ceiling the pro 3 is pretty accurate. The pro 2 was not as accurate. Im still deciding whether to purchase a pro-3. Currently have a BLK gen 1, pro 2 and Z1. Speed with new acquisition would be good. then got to figure how to sell the blk and pro-2
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Suisun City, California
ScanYourSpace private msg quote post Address this user
Hi,

Correct.. as of now the blk gen 2 can't be used with matterport. but for AEC the blk gen 2 would be ideal. consider it a specialty tool. The clients I talk to shy away from hiring someone for AEC work if they are using matterport. it's hard to find one tool that does everything well.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Gerhard private msg quote post Address this user
@ScanYourSpace you are very true to what you are saying. The BLK2 is way more accurate and just as fast as the Pro3 when it comes to scanning. But again I won't scan a 20-story construction site with a PRO3. It is very simple takes way too long and has all the limitations that Matterport presents. There are way more superior products in this market designed for these industries. And it is sad to see how people are not working agnostic in just sticking to one tool and trying to do everything. But the guys that adapt and are not fan boys they are winning in this space.
Post 7 IP   flag post
MeshImages private msg quote post Address this user
Image quality of the Pro3 will be significantly better than the Pro2 - so you get both assets in one run - images + 3D tour.

But this is probably the only reason I could think of buying a Pro3 for residential.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Gerhard private msg quote post Address this user
@MeshImages I looked at a Tour I did with a Pro 1 Vs Pro2 and it's not a major difference. The only plus with the Pro3 is no more broken artifacts.

The image quality is of such nature clients do not know the difference. And you cant view 8K on a mobile phone. And I have downloaded the higher 16K from Pro2, and the quality is bad, DSLR will always be better.
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

WGAN.INFO/pro3alerts | www.JoinWGAN.com | Text pro3alerts to 877-805-0960 | powered by texting platform: www.SimpleTexting.com

Matterport Pro3 Camera | Matterport Pro3 Camera Acceleration Kit | WGAN-TV Training U (in Matterport)

WGAN-TV Podcast Play List: Pro3 | WGAN Forum Playlist: Pro3

WGAN Forum Discussion: WGAN Cheat Sheet: Cost Worksheet for Matterport Pro3 Camera

Join the WGAN List | Join WGAN Forum

Matterport Pro3 Camera | Matterport Pro3 Camera Acceleration Kit

Hi All,

WGAN Free Resources for Matterport Pro3 Camera:

WGAN Forum | Pro3 Topics
wgan.info/pro3topics

WGAN-TV Podcast | Pro3 Shows
wgan.info/pro3podcasts

WGAN Forum Podcast | Pro3 Shows
wgan.info/pro3audiopodcasts

WGAN Pro3 Cost Worksheet
wgan.info/pro3costworksheet

WGAN Text Alerts | Pro3 News
wgan.info/pro3alerts

WGAN-TV Training U | Pro3 Courses
wgan.info/pro3courses

@bwest360

WGAN Forum resources (above) that may be helpful for your decision about buying a Matterport Pro3 Camera for residential homes and apartments.

Best,

Dan
Post 10 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
This is where I think photographer and scanning for AEC gets confusing.

We talk about speed and again it’s confusing. I will give you my points of view and by far this is just what I see and if I was new to the field, it can be misleading. Even though this is my opinion this is from my experience and pitfalls I have found.

I totally agree with @Gerhard, to many people try to buy one tool that does everything. I agree that you buy a tool that has multifunction’s that maximizes its use. But buying the right tool is also critical.

I see a lot of posts for the new Pro3 camera should I buy it or not. I then hear its faster and not a good explanation on the speed. This is what I have found the capture speed for the Pro2 and Pro3, are spec’d out as both capture the data in 20 seconds.

So, the speed to capture data is the same. The difference is the data reach of the cameras are different. Matterport does not specify the actual distance on the Pro2, but we know it is not as great as the Pro3. So, one more variable that I cannot find is Matterport lists the registration time of the Pro2 is 25-30 seconds on a iPad. I could not find the actual registration time for the Pro3. Just another factor on time from scan to registration on either model.

So, I hear everyone say the Pro3 is faster and everybody is looking at comparing the cameras for real estate and AEC. These are two really different applications.

You buy it for real estate and it take less time to scan a 17-2500 square foot house. You are going to scan it for real estate and do it in an hour to an hour and a half. Ok again two different animals, you can scan faster for real estate because you can spread your scans out requiring less scans because you are just trying to establish a cohesive walk thru tour. You want an excellent viewable walk thru and that excites the viewer to get a buyer to go to the property. So maybe faster it also depends on your point of view for a completed model.

So, I also hear that it’s a good tool for AEC, really? It can be but I hear that architects don’t like the Matterport platform. This is some of the reasons I have heard and have to agree with. Using the Pro2 you have to scan, take that data and convert it into a 3D model and then extract a point cloud for the architect to use. That can be several processes to reach the end result. Each process can introduce an error factor along with the on scene scanning technique, which is a whole other issue. So, the Pro3 eliminates a few of these by introducing its own lidar scanner, but you still have to have Matterport produce the E57 file. Because that process is proprietary, we don’t know enough about it and I have not seen any side by side comparisons to a traditional lidar scanner to judge how good it is. So, like everybody else until there is enough use and case studies architects don’t want to be the one that find out the data is wrong.

So, looking into construction or water mitigation use, Matterport in our area has made it look so simple larger companies buy the camera and use it in-house. I have spoken with several companies that prefer to use it in-house in what they believe saves them money. Whether it does or not they will not admit to a purchase they did not need and to hire a pro to scan for them.

So, the point being is even though you can scan further apart but scanning for AEC does the greater distance work for you? Because now you are scanning for detail you might have to scan just as many scans as you did with a Pro2 to get the detail for the final product. This again has so many variables, are you scanning for larger commercial projects or single rooms for remodeling or just a sections of a home and or inside and outside scans needed.

So, what I would like to see in the forum is a little more data when some claims it’s faster or the distance is greater, please give use some detail to the claim.

So, my background is I own a MP Pro, Pro2 and Faro S120 lidar scanner, several Nikon DSLR cameras, Ricoh theta V, Z GoPro and PivoTour rotator, Autel Evo and I know there is things I forgot. I having been using Faro scanners over 14 years and MP for about 10 years. I also by far do not feel I am an expert. The right tool for the right job and yes even though I would love to buy one tool that does everything that is not a practical concept.

Everyone in this forum has several tools depending on what they are trying to do. The point is depending on what you’re doing a different tool is needed and depending on what we feel will increase our return on investment.

For me does it make since to invest in a Pro3, I still have not been convinced I need it to replace a camera or complement my business. This is a lot to say when people post in the forum, I would love to see a little more context/data to support your statement or claim.
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Video: Still on the Fence About the Matterport Pro3? (Must watch) | Video courtesy of Hopscotch Interactive YouTube Channel | 18 January 2023

Hi All,

Emily Olman with @Hopscotch Interactive posted this video (above) in the last hour.

Seemed relevant to the discussion.

Best,

Dan

P.S. Thanks Emily!

---

Transcript (video above)

Emily: Hey, good morning everybody. It's Emily from Hopscotch Interactive and I'm saying good morning because it is currently 5:52 in the morning and I just finished a full scan.

I had to start scanning at 5 am because the property that I needed to get access to is actually open 20 hours a day. The reason why I'm sharing this video is because this is actually for anybody who is still on the fence about the Pro3 versus the Pro2 or maybe even just starting Matterport.

I think that I would have been in a major panic if I did not have the Pro3 today, and I was actually thinking my lucky stars because I had it. Had I gone in with the Pro2, the construction team that was meeting me, the staff that needed to get started working, everything had to go smoothly and it had to go on time in order for this to get concluded before everything needed to open back up.

So if you are doing any kind of scans at all in a field where timing is critical and you need to be as fast as possible, then it's really a no contest situation for you to be upgrading to the Pro3 or to just start off with the Pro3. It's not a hard decision to make.

If you have a Pro2 and you want to get into some of these more AEC, Architecture, Engineering and Construction Projects, I think you're going to want that as well. And the reason you're going to want it as well is because your range is so much bigger and you can actually do things like go out on the street.

You may not be able to get access to properties at a time when it's convenient for you to have the best sunlight, and so look just this has been a real eye-opener for me, and I think that if you are on the fence about the whole thing that I understand.

But if you are trying to decide what camera to get in 2023, I think the Pro3 gives you the most flexibility assuming that you don't have the classic plan or you aren't going to be trying to only upload to that plan, then don't hesitate.

I think that the Pro3 is the way to go and I feel like it really made today, with all of the other things that were going on with the shoot, I feel like it made this one thing which was the timing and it was a huge thing just got that much better and that much faster.

So thanks so much. I hope you found this video informative. Good morning. It's still not even 6 am. And I hope you guys have a great day. Thanks. Bye.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Thanks for all of the comments. I am probably going to wait on the purchase. I am hearing many people who are getting damaged cameras and having software issues. Here is my main question:

Can anyone provide any information on if the quality of the Pro3 is superior to the Pro2?

It is obviously quicker with scanning and has better alignment, but the quality question has not been fully answered.

Thanks,
Post 13 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
Maybe @Hopscotch could share the model she shot for her video, that might shed some light on how good the Pro3 actually is.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Expertise private msg quote post Address this user
In our experience, the Pro3 image quality is better.
Some may say "oh it's not that noticeable".

Yeah, well interior images from a 15 year old Canon 40D aren't night and day better than images from a Canon R5. But there is a difference.

The Pro3 allows you to do residential interiors significantly faster.
Two benefits here...
1- less labor time in scanning saves you money.
2- less time on-site makes your homeowners and agents happy. One objection we have received over the years is that Matterports "take too long".

And of course, you can scan outside now, which is a huge deal here in Florida where so many homes are oriented towards indoor/outdoor living.

We love our Pro3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwest360
Thanks for all of the comments. I am probably going to wait on the purchase. I am hearing many people who are getting damaged cameras and having software issues. Here is my main question:

Can anyone provide any information on if the quality of the Pro3 is superior to the Pro2?

It is obviously quicker with scanning and has better alignment, but the quality question has not been fully answered.

Thanks,
Post 15 IP   flag post
Thanks for the info everyone. I am noticing the vivid quality through the windows in the Pro3 examples. This is definitely a great sign of increased photo quality.
Post 16 IP   flag post
101641 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?