Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,033 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceFloor PlansGearPro2Scanning

Some alignment and scanning questions18120

Olegred private msg quote post Address this user
Hello, I have been using the program for a while and I am a huge fan. I am in the insurance industry, so my scans are all kinds of disaster scenes: fires, floods, cars through the building. I use both 360 and the Pro2 light cameras.

Can you educate me a bit on some aspects?

How does the on-site alignment work? Does it use visual data or lidar? Or both? It seems alignment happens quicker with a 360 camera.

Would my alignments be quicker with a more powerful device, let's say Ipad Pro? I use Samsung fold 3 which is very powerful in my opinion.

Finally, if you used Pro3 camera, how quicker is it and is it worth the price?
Post 1 IP   flag post
GamelLarry private msg quote post Address this user
I'm using the iPad Pro11 1tb with the M1 processor. It's very fast doing alignments with either the Pro2 or the Pro3. But I will say since I've been using the Pro3 I've rarely seen alignment issues. So I would say, depending on the volume of work the Pro3 with a faster controlling device with lots of storage is a win win.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Matterport
Camera
Repair Service
Gainesville, Florida
MatterFix private msg quote post Address this user
Pretty much agree with what Larry says above. Once an image has been transferred to the capture device, the alignment process starts and in my experience the better capture device you have (especially the more RAM it has) the quicker you’ll get the alignment done. With my M1 iPad with 16GB of RAM I usually get alignment in 2 or 3 seconds when scanning with a Pro2. The Pro3 speeds up the scanning process substantially by allowing you to move further between scans (when the model doesn’t need close scans), by quicker completion of each scan and by having far fewer alignment issues.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Suisun City, California
ScanYourSpace private msg quote post Address this user
Hi!
I have a newer ipad pro and haven't had any delays in aligning with my pro2... unless i'm too far from the previous scan or too much stuff in the room changed (maybe a door closed, etc).

having said that, i've experienced no issues with pro3 aligning, it does it very quickly and up to a great distance! I've addressed this in several of my videos. take a look
@sparksmediagroup" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/@sparksmediagroup look for the matterport playlist.

tom
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
I believe Samsung fold 3 will be as quick as IPad Pro 2020. I have Samsung note 10 Plus, that comes with 12GB of RAM and I cannot see it is being slower than my IPad Pro 2020. Fold 3 much later model and should be faster than my Note.

As for misalignment it is usually happens when you do not do enough scans in relation to how big space is. I have been in situations when a space was quite big(about 6000sqm) with big long halls. I thought that halls would have much less interest to viewers that spaces they were leading to. So I was not focused on spaces less than halls trying just to cover them with mesh with no holes. So I was skipping on scan density in halls and got a screwed up model with one wall extending 3-5 meters more than it should be. I was lucky Matterport could fix it manually, otherwise I had to rescan some parts.
Post 5 IP   flag post
My scenes are usually a mess. Poor lighting, missing walls and so on. I have to deal with misalignment a lot. I also extensively use the 360 camera for small places and quick scans. Fold 3 has a bunch of fast memory, not sure ipad pro is faster. I am wondering if Apple products in general have better version of the app. Anyway...
Post 6 IP   flag post
Does Pro3 standalone bundle include the tripod mount? Or do I need to buy that separately?
Post 7 IP   flag post
GamelLarry private msg quote post Address this user
I bought the Pro3 standalone. It came with the camera, charger, 1 battery and the adapter. I recommend getting at least 1 extra battery in case you have a large job or multiple jobs in a day.
Post 8 IP   flag post
101437 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?