Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 25 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AerialDJI FlySafeDroneQuestion of the DayQuestions

Question of the Day: How have you handled restrictive air space for aerial?18051

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

WGAN Question of the Day (All)

Question of the Day: How have you handled restrictive air space for aerial?

Hi All,

The WGAN Forum Question of the Day for Tuesday, 3 January 2023:

How have you handled restrictive air space for aerial?

Happy New Year,

Dan

P.S. This WGAN Question of the Day was inspired by this WGAN Forum post by @Dataventurer found here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Dataventurer
Well, I learned how to get a geographic area unlocked through the DJI FlySafe app! Learning time: two and half hours. I had checked the location on three different flying apps yesterday and there was no indication of restrictions. When I attempted to launch, I encountered an authorization lock.

First I called the local airport after filling out the drone form on their page. "You need to call FAA, here's the number." I got right through to a VERY helpful guy who checked the area I was trying to fly in and he said "It's Class G, no restrictions. Contact DJI, here's the URL."

It took me a couple attempts to get the request completed because I was looking for "DJI Mini" in the drone list. They had DJI 2 Mini, DJI SE, DJI 3 Mini.

I almost gave up. Then when I was looking for the controller serial number to enter in, I saw that the name of the drone in the app was "Mavic Mini", which I found was fortunately on the list! It was straightforward after that.

I spent about 35 minutes in the air total, another 45 minutes naming the video files for easy reference and screening out a couple that were redundant.

Travel time about 30 minutes each way. I charged $200. Probably less than I could have charged but I'm okay with it. I charge his wife about the same rate to record her coaching tips videos.

---

Save $50 with this WGAN affiliate link for Drone Pilot Ground School and WGAN Coupon Code: WGAN50
Post 1 IP   flag post
trueview360s private msg quote post Address this user
I almost always get a DJI unlock code even if I do not see the shoot is in restricted airspace. On occasion , if you are near restricted space, you can get locked out. It is easy enough to do the day before to make sure you have it if needed.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Gilroy, California
Dataventurer private msg quote post Address this user
@trueview360s That is good to know. Today was the first time I was flying near an airport (without a tower). The process to get an unlock code seemed simple once I had set up an account and received authorization as a pilot. I noticed the unlock was granted for three days, so it does make sense to do it ahead of time when they give you that window.

I also discovered SkyWatch provides insurance by the hour! That was a nice find! Cost today: $7!!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Buster6070 private msg quote post Address this user
I have an Autel, so one less step. But even before I had my part 107, it only took about a week to get flight authorization through Drone Zone. I live in Cheyenne, and basically the whole town is within the restrictive flight zone of the airport. Clients are told that average time to get authorization is a week, so they know I can't just shoot next day if that's what they want. I do have a 25' tripod also that I recommend as an alternative. It's not a true ariel shot, but it does offer a different vantage point from local photographers that just shoot from street level. I attach my DJI RSC 2 with the raven eye attachment on top of the tripod so I can remotely frame the shots from the ground.
Post 4 IP   flag post
EaglePrecision private msg quote post Address this user
There are two types of restrictions discussed in this thread: 1) DJI Geo Zone restrictions which only apply to DJI drones. These can be found at DJI.com/flysafe. 2) FAA restrictions which can be permanent such as around airports with towers and national defense zones or temporary such as around stadiums where NFL games are being played or wherever POTUS is visiting. These can be found at FAA.Maps.ARCGIS.com

Note that the two are almost completely different except, perhaps, within two miles of the center of an airport with a tower. If you only observe the DJI restrictions, then you will violate FAA restricted airspace in situations where you aren't even aware it exists.

In addition, there are state-regulated and enforced restrictions particularly around correctional facilities - violating these can get you an instant visit to that facility.

For #1, after struggling with unlock codes from DJI which didn't always work or were still altitude limited, I finally got an Autel EVO II Pro which has no restrictions. For #2, in most cases, it is possible to fly up to a certain altitude with LAANC authorization available from one of designated providers - I use UASidekick. For #3, I always check the area on Google Maps or Google Earth which usually identifies government and correctional facilities.

For real estate clients, I always state a disclaimer that I fly safely and always follow the rules. If their job is in FAA restricted airspace where LAANC authorization isn't available, then I just pass on it (note: I have used the 25' extended stick with a Insta360 camera but that has only limited value). It's unfortunate in our industry, however, that the job inevitably goes to someone who doesn't care (or doesn't know) about the rules and clients are willing to pay whether it's legal or not.
Post 5 IP   flag post
101646 5 5
This topic is archived. Start new topic?