Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 761 Unique Visitors
9,054 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,838 Page Views | 19,122 Unique Visitors | 26 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AG MapsDroneDrone DeployInsurance Claim DocumentationPricingQuestions

Drone shoot for flood insurance claim - how to charge?!?!?18044

WGAN Fan
Club Member
Gilroy, California
Dataventurer private msg quote post Address this user
Help, please!

I got a call from a friend whose husband is the director of a farm that sustained some flooding and crop damage during the past few days. I'm looking for suggestions how to charge for video and stills to support an insurance claim (I mainly shoot real estate media).

The location is half an hour away and I'll probably need an hour to shoot and copy the video and JPG files to their office computer. I'm not expecting they'll need editing. So about 2 hours work time.

The shoot is for tomorrow, Jan. 3 at 9 a.m. west coast time. The location is in northern California near the coastline.

Any fee suggestions are welcomed!

Thank you.

Dave Avilla
Post 1 IP   flag post
daslack private msg quote post Address this user
Hello Dave,

I have a friend that does Agriculture flying with his drone. He normally charges for his flying by the acre for surveying property. He said for something similar to what you are describing he would charge $250. He charges $200 per hour for flying with a $250 minimum. He also suggested that you provide a Geo Reference Map for your flight if you have that ability. He uses AG Maps and Drone Deploy software.

I hope this helps.

David
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Gilroy, California
@daslack Thanks for the reply! I just checked out your recommendations. I'm flying a DJI Mini (first generation). AG Maps looks intriguing but needs a more sophisticated drone. Drone Deploy looks very interesting, too, seems to enable programmed flight, which could be really useful for repetitive surveys.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Gilroy, California
Well, I learned how to get a geographic area unlocked through the DJI FlySafe app! Learning time: two and half hours. I had checked the location on three different flying apps yesterday and there was no indication of restrictions. When I attempted to launch, I encountered an authorization lock.

First I called the local airport after filling out the drone form on their page. "You need to call FAA, here's the number." I got right through to a VERY helpful guy who checked the area I was trying to fly in and he said "It's Class G, no restrictions. Contact DJI, here's the URL." It took me a couple attempts to get the request completed because I was looking for "DJI Mini" in the drone list. They had DJI 2 Mini, DJI SE, DJI 3 Mini. I almost gave up. Then when I was looking for the controller serial number to enter in, I saw that the name of the drone in the app was "Mavic Mini", which I found was fortunately on the list! It was straightforward after that. I spent about 35 minutes in the air total, another 45 minutes naming the video files for easy reference and screening out a couple that were redundant. Travel time about 30 minutes each way. I charged $200. Probably less than I could have charged but I'm okay with it. I charge his wife about the same rate to record her coaching tips videos.
Post 4 IP   flag post
daslack private msg quote post Address this user
Glad to hear you got it to work out Dave. Thanks for posting your process as well. That may be something that I or someone else need someday. I plan to get my drone license at some point in the future.
Post 5 IP   flag post
101735 5 5
This topic is archived. Start new topic?