Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 761 Unique Visitors
9,056 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,838 Page Views | 19,122 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
CarGlo3DMatterport AXISPro3Questions

Car scan with Matterport Axis?18041

sebad90 private msg quote post Address this user
Hello

I'm beginner in Matterport so please be understanding

I've made a scan of the black car and I'm not really satisfied with the results.
Here's the link:

Scan was made with Samsung S21 and MP Axis.
Some questions:

1. Scans are missaligned. Should I make more scans around the car than I did? I made 16 scans around and maybe that's the reason of missalignment.

2. I'm thinking about buying Matterport Pro 3 camera. Would it handle such scan better than phone? Of course I'm not talking about image quality right now (which I assume will be better in Pro 3 than in phone) but about missalignments.

3. What's the best way to scan interior of the car as well and avoid missalignments? Should I place the camera near the car door and take 2 scans (one with door open and one with closed) and then scan inside?

4. Is Matterport service the best for this purpose? Maybe you can recommend some better solution. I don't want to scan the whole showroom but only one car separated in some room.

Best regards
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
lilnitsch private msg quote post Address this user
The Matterport Axis really wasn't meant for commercial work in my opinion ~ The supported 360 cameras would provide an improvement and a Matterport Pro1, 2, or 3 would provide the best result. The Matterport Pro cameras can also struggle with alignment in tight spaces such as a car interior so, mixing something like a Ricoh Theta Z1 or X for the interior and a Pro camera for the exterior may provide the best result
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
I believe I did this with the Ricoh Theta V back in May of 2019 during the beta testing of the the 360 cameras

Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
For the little automotive I do I simply do a simple 360 tour

https://www.capturenwlive.com/tours/UQC2uK4Jp
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnitsch
The Matterport Axis really wasn't meant for commercial work in my opinion ~ The supported 360 cameras would provide an improvement and a Matterport Pro1, 2, or 3 would provide the best result. The Matterport Pro cameras can also struggle with alignment in tight spaces such as a car interior so, mixing something like a Ricoh Theta Z1 or X for the interior and a Pro camera for the exterior may provide the best result

Sure I know that Axis is not recommended for commercial work. I think that the main problem is stiching between scans. Check my link and go around the car. Some spots are placed by Matterport not in the right place and I cannot fix it by realigning scan. I wonder if Matterport Pro 3 would do it better and without such problems.
Another problem for me is to get a smooth transition between outside and inside scan - as I mentioned in question number 3.

Your scan is fine but is only inside the car.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@sebad90 I am guessing that you may have encountered or experienced miss aligned scans when capturing the exterior of the the vehicle & that this is where your twisting and miss alignment is coming from. When encountering a miss aligned scan it is best to delete the scan position move closer to the last successful scan and scan again.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Complete 360 car photography under 4 minutes | Video courtesy of Glo3D.com YouTue Channel | 30 January 2022

@sebad90

Is this video (above) helpful?

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSmigrod
Complete 360 car photography under 4 minutes | Video courtesy of Glo3D.com YouTue Channel | 30 January 2022

@sebad90

Is this video (above) helpful?

Dan

I know that solution but it's not what I am exactly looking for.
But thank you for your response.
Post 8 IP   flag post
101740 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?