Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdvicePro2Pro3Versus

Matterport Pro2 Camera still useful?17968

daslack private msg quote post Address this user
I am still relatively new to the Matterport world. I have a Pro 2 that I bought in December of 21. I am getting ready to upgrade to a Pro 3. I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts on whether my Pro 2 is worth hanging onto or not? Is there anything the Pro 2 can do that the Pro 3 can't that I am might not be considering?

Thanks!
Post 1 IP   flag post
GamelLarry private msg quote post Address this user
Depends if you have a classic account. I have a Pro 3 and a Pro 2. I used the Pro 2 for interior real estate jobs with long-term hosting. I use the Pro 3 when exterior and interior models are required and get a premium fee for hosting
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@daslack

Welcome to the WGAN Forum. And, thanks for your question.

For the WGAN Community to be the most help to you, can you share with us:

1. About you/your company?
2. Why you bought a Matterport Pro2 Camera?
3. What you plan to do with the Matterport Pro2 Camera?
4. Why you are considering switching to the Matterport Pro3 Camera?

--

In the mean time, here are some WGAN resources that may be helpful:

1. Matterport Pro3 Camera versus Matterport Pro2 Camera (What sold us)
2. Matterport Blog (9 December 2022) Pro2 vs. Pro3: Choosing the Right Camera for the Job |
Understanding the key differences between these versatile 3D capture devices

3. WGAN Forum discussions tagged: Pro2, Pro3, Versus
4. WGAN-TV Podcast shows about Pro3

Happy holidays,

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
MeshImages private msg quote post Address this user
For residential the Pro2 is absolutely ok! 👌
Post 4 IP   flag post
Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
Queen_City_3D private msg quote post Address this user
We have both the Pro2 and the Pro3. Use the Pro2 daily. We've only used the Pro3 once so far. We'd use it all the time IF Matterport played nice with hosting to classic accounts. In fact, I'd even be willing to pay a small ($5?) transfer fee per model.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Bon Secour, Alabama
Chemistrydoc private msg quote post Address this user
I echo the comments of @GamelLarry: Get ahold of one of the Classic plans that are being sold these days and use it for long-term storage of models. This especially works if you have vacation rental assets nearby or other similar markets where long-term storage is needed. You can sell Matterport into those markets and have a regular residual hosting income on top of the active income from shooting new models.

Absolutely, the Pro2 still has value. That said, get the Pro3 as well! Given the current glut of used units on the market, you may have a hard time getting anywhere near a fair price for what is a great camera.

Good Luck!

Keith
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamelLarry
Depends if you have a classic account. I have a Pro 3 and a Pro 2. I used the Pro 2 for interior real estate jobs with long-term hosting. I use the Pro 3 when exterior and interior models are required and get a premium fee for hosting

Unfortunately I do not have a Classic plan. Thank you for your insights!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeshImages
For residential the Pro2 is absolutely ok! 👌

Thank you!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistrydoc
I echo the comments of @GamelLarry: Get ahold of one of the Classic plans that are being sold these days and use it for long-term storage of models. This especially works if you have vacation rental assets nearby or other similar markets where long-term storage is needed. You can sell Matterport into those markets and have a regular residual hosting income on top of the active income from shooting new models.

Absolutely, the Pro2 still has value. That said, get the Pro3 as well! Given the current glut of used units on the market, you may have a hard time getting anywhere near a fair price for what is a great camera.

Good Luck!

Keith
Post 9 IP   flag post
GamelLarry private msg quote post Address this user
I do know there are several companies that still want the pro 2 because they only have classic plans. So it helps to have both. I scan for companies that request either camera. Although I will admit I've come to prefer the accuracy and lack of misalignments with the pro 3. But I hate to turn away business.
Post 10 IP   flag post
The residual value of the Pro 2 is part of my decision making process. I reached out to a camera seller that offered to buy it for $1,200.00. At that price I will just keep it.

Thank you for your response!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen_City_3D
We have both the Pro2 and the Pro3. Use the Pro2 daily. We've only used the Pro3 once so far. We'd use it all the time IF Matterport played nice with hosting to classic accounts. In fact, I'd even be willing to pay a small ($5?) transfer fee per model.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Thank you for your reply!
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSmigrod
@daslack

Welcome to the WGAN Forum. And, thanks for your question.

For the WGAN Community to be the most help to you, can you share with us:

1. About you/your company?
2. Why you bought a Matterport Pro2 Camera?
3. What you plan to do with the Matterport Pro2 Camera?
4. Why you are considering switching to the Matterport Pro3 Camera?

--

In the mean time, here are some WGAN resources that may be helpful:

1. Matterport Pro3 Camera versus Matterport Pro2 Camera (What sold us)
2. Matterport Blog (9 December 2022) Pro2 vs. Pro3: Choosing the Right Camera for the Job |
Understanding the key differences between these versatile 3D capture devices

3. WGAN Forum discussions tagged: Pro2, Pro3, Versus
4. WGAN-TV Podcast shows about Pro3

Happy holidays,

Dan

Hello Dan. Please see the answers to your questions below.

1. I own a construction company, I am a licensed insurance adjuster, a licensed home inspector and a budding MSP. I am working to get out of construction business which is like the Hotel California, you can check out anytime you would like, but you can never leave.

2. I bought the camera for multiple reasons.
A. I wanted a way to save time when evaluating large remodel jobs. With the Pro 2 I can obtain photos and spatial data which saves me time while preparing drawings. It also allows me to share information with subcontractors.
B. The Pro 2 allows me to provide before and after pictures, showcase my building projects and it a very impressive marketing tool.
C. Insurance claims.
D. My desire to become a MSP. Perhaps this should have been #1. I am fascinated by the possibilities. I already have some experience with residential real estate capture. Hoping to improve on that and move into the commercial arena. I bid one large commercial job for an architect that I know but the cost of the BIM file was more than he wanted to spend.

I want to upgrade to the Pro 3 for improved spatial data, ability to scan outdoors and the time savings that the Pro 3 provides. I also believe this will give me a leg up on trying to obtain scanning jobs.

The WGAN forum has been a great resource Dan! Thank you! Happy Holidays.

Dave
Post 14 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
@daslack If I can ask what does this architect normally use, for data collection? I do work both with Pro2 and Faro scanner, files are similar, but the workflow is almost identical. I feel the Faro product is more accurate, but the Pro2 is acceptable. Both are far better than what I found in basic hand measuring which is also time consuming. The reason I am asking we are also running into issues with architect's reductants in using either. We found that architects are like real estate agents they want the best product for little to no price/cost.

We always turn down request to do a trial run for free so they can evaluate the product. We turn the table and say if you use us on five jobs we will give you one for free. So I am just looking for a little more feedback on if you know what he normally uses. One of the issues we have found with Matterport is the architects are familiar with Matterport for real estate but are not familiar with how accurate it actually is for their use and don't want to find out after the product is finished it is not within their specs.

But what we also found is the customers that ask for Faro projects also want the follow up of a Theta Z1 from each scan point to use the photos for reference even though they have that built in with Matterport.

Ron
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron0987
@daslack If I can ask what does this architect normally use, for data collection? I do work both with Pro2 and Faro scanner, files are similar, but the workflow is almost identical. I feel the Faro product is more accurate, but the Pro2 is acceptable. Both are far better than what I found in basic hand measuring which is also time consuming. The reason I am asking we are also running into issues with architect's reductants in using either. We found that architects are like real estate agents they want the best product for little to no price/cost.

We always turn down request to do a trial run for free so they can evaluate the product. We turn the table and say if you use us on five jobs we will give you one for free. So I am just looking for a little more feedback on if you know what he normally uses. One of the issues we have found with Matterport is the architects are familiar with Matterport for real estate but are not familiar with how accurate it actually is for their use and don't want to find out after the product is finished it is not within their specs.

But what we also found is the customers that ask for Faro projects also want the follow up of a Theta Z1 from each scan point to use the photos for reference even though they have that built in with Matterport.

Ron

@ron0987 Hello Ron, my architect normally uses a Theta Z1 to collect pictures of a project. He then collects dimensions by hand. He claims it was not him, but his client that was resistant to paying the amount that I quoted him. It was a 3 story, 36,000 sq ft building. I was going to scan it and provide him with a BIM file. As you are aware the cost for Matterport to process just the basic architecture cost for this product is $6,800.00. I gave him a price of $8,000 just to be able to add it to my portfolio and gain the experience. I felt in my mind that was more than fair. If I am off base in my thinking, please feel free to let me know. Do you do a lot of commercial projects?

I do like your system of buy 5 and get one free. That is a brilliant way of handling that.

I am not real familiar with the Faro system. So, if I am understanding you correctly the Faro system does not provide photos from each scan points? That seems a bit redundant to go back and provide a Matterport after the fact. I would have to think it would be pricier in the end as well. Do you mind if I ask how expensive Faro is in in comparison to Matterport? Is it more accurate than a Pro 3?

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your experience and process!

Dave
Post 16 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@daslack

Thank you for the backstory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daslack
1. I own a construction company, I am a licensed insurance adjuster, a licensed home inspector and a budding MSP. I am working to get out of construction business which is like the Hotel California, you can check out anytime you would like, but you can never leave.

For construction, Pro3 advantages versus Pro2:

1. scanning outdoors
2. faster (not only the rotation of the camera, but likely can do fewer scans

Quote:
A. I wanted a way to save time when evaluating large remodel jobs. With the Pro2 I can obtain photos and spatial data which saves me time while preparing drawings. It also allows me to share information with subcontractors.

For evaluating large remodel jobs, Pro3 advantages versus Pro3:

1. scanning outdoors
2. faster (not only the rotation of the camera, but likely can do fewer scans

Quote:
D. My desire to become a MSP. Perhaps this should have been #1. I am fascinated by the possibilities. I already have some experience with residential real estate capture. Hoping to improve on that and move into the commercial arena. I bid one large commercial job for an architect that I know but the cost of the BIM file was more than he wanted to spend

It's likely that no WGAN Member makes a full-time living doing Matterport scans. While a few might have a very high ratio, it's likely many in the Community: Matterport scanning is less than 15 percent of revenue. That's because many focus on residential real estate where agents want photos 1st and maybe video second. Virtual tours and floor plans tend to be #3 or #4.

There may be tension between the building owner (what's the most efficient way) and the architect (may get paid for time: scanning could reduce their fee).

Quote:
I want to upgrade to the Pro 3 for improved spatial data, ability to scan outdoors and the time savings that the Pro 3 provides. I also believe this will give me a leg up on trying to obtain scanning jobs.

Yes.

Quote:
The WGAN forum has been a great resource Dan! Thank you! Happy Holidays.

Thank you for your kind note. Only possible because of WGAN Community giving/getting help.

Happy holidays,

Dan
Post 17 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@daslack

If/when you buy a Matterport Pro3 Camera, reminder to get on THE List:

✓ THE List: MSPs with a Matterport Pro3 Camera or a Leica BLK360 Scanner
✓ List of MSPs with a Matterport Pro3 Camera: 110 of Top 150 Markets

Best,

Dan

---

Matterport Pro3 Camera | Matterport Pro3 Camera Acceleration Kit | WGAN-TV Training U (in Matterport)

WGAN-TV Podcast Play List: Pro3 | WGAN Forum Playlist: Pro3

WGAN Forum Discussion: WGAN Cheat Sheet: Cost Worksheet for Matterport Pro3 Camera

Join the WGAN List | Join WGAN Forum

Matterport Pro3 Camera | Matterport Pro3 Camera Acceleration Kit
Post 18 IP   flag post
101641 18 18
This topic is archived. Start new topic?