Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
CreativeMatterPakRSETScans

Making Games Out of Matterport Scans17899

Emergency
Responder
Training in
MatterPak
Lexington, Kentucky
RSET private msg quote post Address this user
We have seen a lot of ways that Matterport users modify their scans to make them more engaging, but I don't see many people using Matterport and other 3D scans for making games or having fun (please reply with examples if you know of any. I find it very interesting!)

Over the past month I've thought of creative ways to use 3D scans with simple modification and 3D physics to have some fun with my scans. Of course, all of this is done in RSET.

First up, the hay maze.

The mechanics of a video game don't get more simple than a maze. All you need is a maze and the ability to move around. In the spirit of the Fall season, I found an outdoor scan of a field, loaded in a 3D model of a hay bale, and in a matter of minutes I created a pretty fun hay maze.

This was an easy way to have fun in my scan, and this can extend to making a maze in a larger scan where you can utilize many of the walls for your maze but block paths with doors. On a more serious approach, you can be clever with where objects are placed in your scan to make users follow a certain path through your scan, which might be useful for real estate tours and museums to guide the user's experience. I also have a video showing the creation and playing through the maze.

-----------------------------------------------------
Next up, Super Mario in your living room.

And no I don't mean booting up Super Mario Bros on your NES. I mean recreating the famous Super Mario Bros world 1-1 in a 3D scan of your living room.

Using RSET's camera tool, I could capture the side view of the level to replicate the side-scrolling nature of Mario for video. But while recording my perspective looks like this:

... which definitely gets more of the sense that you are a tiny character in a huge home. All the sounds that play with interactable objects such as coins are a feature of RSET. You don't have to use that for making games in your living room (although it is more fun) you could make interactable areas that play a certain sound when approaching an location in your scan. For example, the lights can change when you enter a room, or you can play something on the TV when the user interacts with a remote on the coffee table (yes, RSET can make a 3D scan of a TV play video).

This was a ton of fun to do, so to see the rest of SMB world 1-1 in RSET, check out this video.

-----------------------------------------------------
This last example is not using a Matterport scan, but is a way create your own structures and have fun with them using RSET.

Surely, everyone knows of the popular game, Minecraft, but not many people know that you can take creations from Minecraft and export them as a .obj file using jMc2Obj (and other tools, that's just what I used). Minecraft allows you to quickly build a structure or environment and when exported, you can import it into RSET. Instead of finding a hay bale 3D object like I did earlier, you can create the maze in Minecraft, then use that 3D object in RSET instead. However, I decided to make a cool house, and explore it in RSET. Video overview on that too.

And of course, I had to fill it with zombies with the RSET powered game, Zombies IRL, a game we have in the works that allows you to create custom zombies experiences (keep your eyes open for that in the future, it's going to be great!)

Please let me know if you find this kind of stuff interesting! I think having digital twins has a lot of application in the serious applications such as real estate and training, but we would be remised to pass up on using them for plain fun.
Post 1 IP   flag post
MeshImages private msg quote post Address this user
Hi @RSET, great demos here, thanks for posting! I would really like to try them in a Matterport live demo. Is there a link, that you can share?

And I see a couple of commercial applications for your platform.

1) Gamification of spaces

Similar to Mario - collect coins and jump over staged elements in e.g. a retail store -> this could make people spend more time in the space and on the website (good for SEO) and make them explore the whole store -> and maybe even make them leave their Email to register in the high-score list.

2) Virtual Staging of spaces

The editor of the mace puzzle looks super-fast- this could be an attractive solution to stage empty commercial spaces in super-high-speed. Maybe with some pre-built office and retail situations. Similar to this, but in 3D.

3) E-Learning in Matterport Tours

Similar to 3DVista E-Learning it would be cool to integrate an LMS System into Matterport spaces and use it for E-Learning, Onboarding and Qualification. First you need a button or start screen where people can sign in. Then you will need to connect Quizcards to the Mattertags and maybe find a solution to implement seperately created Quiz-Cards into Mattertags. You need a scoring system and maybe also a Leader Board in the tour. Many ideas here, but I think, this use case has the largest potential of all 3. Maybe create it as add-on to other platforms like MPSkin and MPEMbed (both have possibility to integrate 3rd party CSS/JS code).
Post 2 IP   flag post
MeshImages private msg quote post Address this user
@RSET Ah, sorry, now I see, that you are working with the Matterpak data, not with the Matterport Virtual Tour. But all my ideas above reflected to Matterport 3D Tours in the Matterport Showcase Player.

For virtual staging of 3D data, I would honestly change the platform and technology as the Matterpak is too costly compared to other solutions like iPhone Lidar e.g. Polycam Photogrammetry or new NeRF-tech like Luma AI.

Matterpak 50 USD per space vs. Polycam 60 USD per year (for up to 150 spaces per month).

Luma AI with NeRF is a much more suitable platform for your use case (and you can now export MESH data from the platform). And as everyone is focussing on capturing tech, your focus on what to do with those captures, has high commercial potential. There is another app, that does this already, but more focussed on Instagram images. This app is called Scenario, which is a great scan plus staging app.

Take a look at this NeRF:

and here

Post 3 IP   flag post
Emergency
Responder
Training in
MatterPak
Lexington, Kentucky
RSET private msg quote post Address this user
@MeshImages Gamifying a store is an excellent idea! That could completely reshape the way we shop online. We also love using the editor to flesh out empty spaces with interesting design, and you're right it is fast and designed so that it requires little technical skill.

We do use RSET for first responder training, but we have not yet worked with jobsite training. However that would be a very valuable tool. All great ideas!

Per your second post, we aren't restricted to Matterport data. RSET is scanner agnostic and as long as the scanner can produce a .obj file in some way, then we can use it!

NeRF is really amazing and is on our radar. We are really excited to start working with it. It will make the applications you listed earlier much more immersive and may be a viable tool for the game industry due to its high fidelity
Post 4 IP   flag post
101429 4 4
This topic is archived. Start new topic?