Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 30 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceInsurancePro3ProblemsQuestions

Tipped my Pro3 over and it hit the ground: now what??!17892

WGAN
Standard
Hemet, CA
RobertGalletta private msg quote post Address this user
Well, I hate to admit it but I did the unthinkable. I tipped my Pro3 over and it struck the ground. Although it scans, I get an “Unstable camera,” error.

Although I purchased insurance which claimed to cover such events, the fine print says commercial use is not covered. Lessons learned the hard way.

I’ve contacted Matterport and am aware that the warranty does not cover drops. Before I send it back to them, does anyone have any insights or advice?

I’m sick to my stomach over this!
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
I cannot imagine how you feel. I hope it is not something serious.
May be try Mike from @MatterFix He could get his hands on Pro3 internals already and may be able to fix it for you or give some helpful advice.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Ghagendorf private msg quote post Address this user
Contact https://www.matterfix.io/.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Hemet, CA
He was the first person I contacted. Unfortunately, he’s not fixing Pro3 cameras yet.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Ghagendorf private msg quote post Address this user
I guess you are stuck with Matterport repair.
Post 5 IP   flag post
New Orleans, LA
vgarcia private msg quote post Address this user
What was the insurance provider ?
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Hemet, CA
Assurion
Post 7 IP   flag post
New Orleans, LA
vgarcia private msg quote post Address this user
Thx Robert. I got the AllState insurance offered by BHphoto... will have to check the fine print on this one.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Gladsmuir private msg quote post Address this user
Hi @RobertGaletta,

I’m sorry to hear that, not dropped a Matterport, but did drop a DSLR in a sewerage works and watch as one of my Hasselblad's got blown over by a random gust of wind, both scenarios resulting in hefty repair bills.

I don’t wish to add to your pain but can you clarify if it was on the Matterport tripod or another brand, and how much force was involved in the topple?

Oliver
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Hemet, CA
It was on the Matterport tripod and was bumped with significant force to topple it over. Purely human error. Watching it crash to the ground in slow motion was painful, as I’m sure you are aware.
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGalletta
Assurion

@RobertGalletta

Ugh! I can not even imagine.

Was the insurance sold in a way that might have implied for business use?

For example, it was an add on that was pushed to you for a device that is highly unlikely to be used for personal use?

Dan
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Hemet, CA
Dan, thanks for the question. The insurance was offered at the time of the purchase and on its face, appeared to cover all damage. Being that it was an option at the time of the purchase for a commercial camera, I was under the impression it would cover any mishap. That’s why I bought it. Much to my dismay, it didn’t cover commercial usage.
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@RobertGalletta

I would submit a claim.

Offering insurance as an Add On on a clearly commercial device - should, in my opinion - be covered.

Dan
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@RobertGalletta

Which company did you buy the Matterport Pro3 Camera and Add On insurance?

Dan
Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
GETMYVR private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for sharing & sorry about your accident.I Just checked with the Professional Photographers Association PPA And if you join the membership, they include damage and loss protection for equipment that includes accidental falls at personal or commercial job sites. Standard losses for up to $15,000 worth of equipment but they have programs for equipment worth up to $100,000

I'm using a different insurance company myself that does not include damage protection but I'm making the switch I think this week.
Post 15 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Hemet, CA
Thank you for the info!
Post 16 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Hemet, CA
@Dansmigrod I purchased through Amazon and bought the associated insurance that was offered at the time of purchase. I submitted my claim which was denied due to commercial use. I disputed the denial but ultimately lost the claim.
Post 17 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGalletta
@Dansmigrod I purchased through Amazon and bought the associated insurance that was offered at the time of purchase. I submitted my claim which was denied due to commercial use. I disputed the denial but ultimately lost the claim.

Thanks for the additional backstory.

If it was me, my next steps would be:

1. to submit a dispute credit card claim for $2,000 to cover the estimated repair bill.
2. In the dispute paperwork, I would indicate that Amazon automatically displayed an Add On for insurance (for a product that is obviously only used for commercial purposes).

At the same time, I would also get Amazon on the phone (difficult, but doable) and explain: Amazon automatically displayed an Add On for insurance (for a product that is obviously only used for commercial purposes). CTA: "I want to exchange the Matterport Pro3 Camera for a new one" and "I will buy commercial insurance elsewhere."

It is simply BAD BUSINESS that Amazon is automatically offering an Add On of insurance for a commercial product (where the product is obviously only used for business).

While Matterport reads every word in the WGAN Forum, you might ask Matterport Support for help - include a link to this WGAN Forum discussion - saying, hey, it's your [Matterport] Camera, you should ask your Amazon rep NOT to do an Add On of insurance that excludes commercial use of this product.

That would reduce this complaints in the future directed at:

1) Matterport
2) Amazon
3) Insurance Company

If the above did not work for me, I would file complaints with the insurance commissioner in my state - and Federal Trade Commission (FTC) about automatically offering an Add On for insurance that excludes commercial use for a product that is obviously only used for business.

Does any of this help?

I am not a lawyer. I don't give legal advice.

If it was me, that's what I would do.

Dan
Post 18 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Hemet, CA
@dansmigrod

I will do just that. Thank you!

Robert
Post 19 IP   flag post
Sdoughtie private msg quote post Address this user
I’m so sorry!
Post 20 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Hemet, CA
Thank you
Post 21 IP   flag post
101636 21 21
This topic is archived. Start new topic?