Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Help Wanted

Why 60" and which tripod and tripod head?1784

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
A reader of the MUG Forum emailed me ...

----

Hi Dan,

You mentioned in something I read on your site that after a while you realized your camera was too high. So how high do you recommend now?

The other thing is, I'm new and just now going through your site info and memberships and I see the next training is all the way in San Francisco and the last one in New York City. How about something in Atlanta? I live in [distant state].

---

I replied ...

Hi [redacted] ...

Thank you for reaching out.

When we started converting Matterport Spaces to Matterport VR, we realized that the Camera was too high for virtual reality. The answer was obvious after I gave hundreds of VR demos.

I now recommend 60 inches to the middle of the Camera. [Exceptions include small hotel rooms (door-knob height), pre-school (toddler height), whirlpools with a view, etc.]

To get the height "right" ... I recommend this tripod and Camera head. (Unfortunately, the tripod Matterport recommends sits the Camera too high.) If you get the tripod and head I recommend, you do not need the quick-release plate that Matterport recommends.

Another benefit of the 4-section tripod I recommend is that you can (easily) pack it in a roller board suitcase along with the Camera (in its soft case) and other gear and accessories that I need when traveling. For example, I will be attending IVRPA in Quebec City, Canada later this month. (May 2016)

About training, it's super-easy and super-fast to find a Pro on the We Get Around Referral Network Map. Or, simply PM me and I will connect you with either a We Get Around Matterport Mentor or another Pro in our Network.

Best,

Dan

---

Matterpeeps,

What else should I have said to this new Matterport photographer?

Do you agree about height?
Post 1 IP   flag post
HarlanHambright private msg quote post Address this user
I haven't measured, but I keep mine at around 52 inches. "Why?" you ask. Well, I like vertical lines to be plumb. When you're walking through the tour, the viewer can remain level. Some of MP's demos are shot so high that you have to look down to keep things balanced which causes lots of vertical conversion. If you're in a room with 8' ceilings, 48" would be half-way between the floor and ceiling so if you're looking straight ahead, everything is balanced and no need for vertical tilt, tho I haven't shot this low, except to duck a mirror or the like. I've actually been meaning to post this very topic.
Post 2 IP   flag post
josephthomp private msg quote post Address this user
I agree with Harlan and lean towards the lower side of things. When shooting still photos I always keep my camera between 40 and 50 percent of the ceiling height.
Post 3 IP   flag post
101433 3 3
This topic is archived. Start new topic?