Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
360Capture AppGymsHow toLargeRicoh Theta Z1

Well it wasn't easy, but you can shoot 30,000 ft² plus gyms with a theta Z117599

wildcatdave71 private msg quote post Address this user
If you'd like to chat or get more detail feel free to ask away. There's actually an upper floor to one of those gyms but I didn't include that capture, it was another 123 images. It's quite a struggle doing large gyms because they have rows of repeated equipment that confuse the software and constantly place the images on top of each other or behind where you've moved to.

Post 1 IP   flag post
andyjonsson private msg quote post Address this user
We will likely scan something similar soon - how did you correct the issues with the software placing images on top of eachother?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Fathom3D private msg quote post Address this user
Good job. Was it difficult to hide from the camera?
Are you able to share the finished model?
Post 3 IP   flag post
To coin a phrase of the youngsters, omg!. Trying to shoot in a humongous gym where every wall is covered by mirrors was a pain in the ass. I would have to set the camera and run 50 or 60 ft around a corner or into a bathroom to shoot. Run back, move the camera five or six feet and repeat. Those models took hours and I had tired feet. I did them on successive nights. Had lots of repeat shots that had to be done because the software just didn't want to place it even after a delete or a realign. Here are the links to the models.

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=Aj6UgMMLqXM

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=4U8KmcySGP2
Post 4 IP   flag post
So the key to avoiding the model app from placing images on top of each other is often just moving the camera a few feet left or right from your straight line. Sometimes that slight stagger helps or move it back towards the previous shot a little if it is having trouble. The one thing I learned on the rose of repeated equipment if you try to go too far it will definitely dump the image rate on top of the last one. My default rule of thumb is to grab the tripod and take three standard steps. I'm 5'9 for reference. That seems to work really well for most things in bigger open areas you can be a little more flexible with your distance but if it's dense with equipment you need to give it as much overlap as possible.

There were occasions where I was pretty close to pulling my hair out but some patience and reshooting got the job done. There were a few issues where I had to just skip certain things and go to a different part of the gym and work from that side and then connect once I got over to where I was having trouble. You just have to be patient and willing to work with it.

Also I highly recommend after about 50 to 60 images, you close and restart the app as it flushes out the memory. Also reboot your device phone or tablet before you start the model to clear out any running apps. I was using a Galaxy s20 phone which is a couple years old but still pretty current and it was able to handle it pretty well. Once you get over a hundred or over 200 images doing the realignment can take 60 to 90 seconds because it's basically checking the whole model to see if it needs to move other images. If you used the realignment feature before you'll know it doesn't just move the one image you've taken but it verifies and moves other ones if needed. There was one of the shots in the bathroom where I moved one image and it was smart enough to drag four five more with it, it was impressive. Sometimes it will fall on its face and frustrate you. You just have to keep working with it. It's really good software and amazing it even does this well considering.

I was also impressed with the La Mirada Jim how easily it lets you go from first floor to second floor You can be up top and click on the grass below and it will just slide on down or vice versa. The floor transition still impresses me every time I use it.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Fathom3D private msg quote post Address this user
These are really impressive! I do wonder whether a Pro2 or Pro3 would have been faster. Maybe not, since you would have to go hide anyway on account of all the mirrors.

Speaking of mirrors, it looks like a few went unmarked in each model. You could mark them and re-upload to improve the tidiness of the dollhouse and the smoothness of the walking transitions.
Post 6 IP   flag post
SeeIt360 private msg quote post Address this user
Absolutely impressive! The Z1 really brought out the colors of the gym. Not to mention it's one of the cleanest gyms I've ever seen. I've got a shoot similar to this one coming up at a local gym at one-third the size (with a Z1 as well). And like your example, this one is peppered with mirrors also, and most of the equipment is gloss red and a few black walls. My plan is to wear clothing of the same color and hide next to or behind the equipment when taking my shots. I will definitely keep in mind the shooting tips you detailed above. Thanks for the post!

Rick
Post 7 IP   flag post
Good luck Rick. Let me know if you have any questions before you run out there. It was pretty straightforward. You just have to have some patience when it gets confused about all the equipment in repetitive rows.
Post 8 IP   flag post
SeeIt360 private msg quote post Address this user
I certainly will Dave. And in the least, I would almost be inclined to fly down to watch you shoot if you have another one like this on your calendar. I'm just up north in Sacramento. Keep up the good work!

Rick
Post 9 IP   flag post
101429 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?