Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 732 Unique Visitors
9,055 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,766 Page Views | 19,092 Unique Visitors | 27 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
LargePro3Stitching

Matterport offers stitching services as a paid service17395

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

I just noticed this on the Matterport Support Page for the Pro3:

"If I have scans taken from a Pro2 and a Pro3, can they be stitched together?
Yes. Matterport currently offers stitching services as a paid service

While we might occasionally process minor stitching requests as a courtesy, you should contact Matterport Sales to receive stitching as a paid service."

Source: Matterport

No mention of how long to obtain this service (which was previously free). Nor is there a mention of scanning technique necessary to accomplish the manual post stitching by Matterport.

Your thoughts?

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
MeshImages private msg quote post Address this user
I was hoping for a stitching feature in workshop.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
lilnitsch private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod

This is actually an area in which I believe Matterport is justified in charging additionally for the service as it is labor intensive.

I had only done this on a model or two a while back (Dee was still with the company at the time)

As for techniques depends on how the models are being connected if the models are detached a good line of sight was recommended. If, within the same structure I would assume it would be recommended to have an overlapping scan positions for data points
Post 3 IP   flag post
Virtour private msg quote post Address this user
From what I understand, stitching switched over from a complimentary service to a paid service within the last several months.
I'm not 100% sure of the pricing specifics but believe it is centered around the number of scans within each individual model that you are looking to stitch (I believe it is one price for stitching 2 models together with less than 250 scan points in each and another if either of the models have over 250 scan points).

Don't quote me (or Matterport) on that.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Sdoughtie private msg quote post Address this user
TBH it’s not the fee, it’s their lead time that’s the problem.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
I do not know if it is a mistake but there is a post on MOUG with a Matterport quote for stitching published. $1400 for stitching two models with each under 300/400 scans.
If it is not a mistake from Matterport a fee for stitching will be more of a problem comparing to lead time.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

Matterport has a rate card for everything.

I wonder why they haven't posted one for stitching!?

While I could imagine some Matterport models are harder/easier than others so are scanning houses, but we all have a rate card.

For example:

SIMPLE: 1. if you are connecting two floors in a building where there is no overlay of scans.
EASIER: 2. if you are connecting a large space (where scans overlap)
HARDER: 3. if you are connecting a large space (without overlapping scans)

Whatever the scenarios, seems like Matterport could have a standard rate card.

Plus, the rates might also include:

1. Standard turn-around is: X days
2. Rush turn-around is: X days and 50% more
3. Economical turn-around is: X weeks and is 25 percent less

Your thoughts?

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
I believe a stitching process itself is quite easy and fast.

I've tried to do stitch(register) two scans data in CloudCompare. if you know how to do it you can stitch it in a few minutes.
Sure they do not use CloudCompare but there should be some software they use for that basically should use a similar process.

What the next steps are after it for Matterport to make a single tour from that I cannot say and can only guess. They need to copy data from two models into one.. and I do not believe they do it manually either.
So $1400 for stitching two small models seems to be a few times more than it really should be.. It looks like they just do not want to do it unless paid for that through the roof.

I've offered Matterport to outsource stitching to me :-)
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman
So $1400 for stitching two small models seems to be a few times more than it really should be.. It looks like they just do not want to do it unless paid for that through the roof.

I've offered Matterport to outsource stitching to me :-)

@Wingman

Yes. It does seem like $1,400 for stitching two small models seems excessive. And, yes, perhaps Matterport is trying to discourage this service.

Let us know if Matterport outsources stitching to you!

Hi All,

About my pricing suggestions above, I would suggest that Matterport base quotes on SQ FT - not scans. This way, even before a space is scanned, there is a predictable fixed dollar cost and guaranteed delivery schedule.

Additionally, all commercial spaces are quoted in SQFT (or m2).

I could imagine that some projects are harder/easier. Matterport should recognize that a flat, predictable pricing model is way easier and on some projects they will have an easier time and soe a harder time, but it all works out in the end: just as MSPs have some spaces that are easier/harder.

Dan
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Cloud9
Has anyone else been stitched up by Matterport?!

I regularly scan large spaces using two scanners for speed, and Matterport have stitched these for free up to now.

Whilst I never thought this freebie would last forever, I was quoted today between £1000 - £2000 per stitch going forward!!

Is anyone else paying this much to stitch two or more scans together?

I don't see how I can get these costs into my business model.

Thanks
Post 10 IP   flag post
MeshImages private msg quote post Address this user
As far as I understand this statement from the Matterport press release, stitching won’t be necessary in the near future:

“Where interactive mesh previously had a 50k polygon limit, it is now unlimited and the mesh for large spaces can easily exceed one million polygons. New digital twins are now streamed on demand as the user moves through a space, available on mobile and web platforms for all users for faster load times, quicker frame rates, and much more detail without compromising performance.”

The only limit will be the performance of the iPad, but this can go up to 2000 scan points with M2 and some GB RAM storage.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Cloud9 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeshImages
As far as I understand this statement from the Matterport press release, stitching won’t be necessary in the near future:

“Where interactive mesh previously had a 50k polygon limit, it is now unlimited and the mesh for large spaces can easily exceed one million polygons. New digital twins are now streamed on demand as the user moves through a space, available on mobile and web platforms for all users for faster load times, quicker frame rates, and much more detail without compromising performance.”

The only limit will be the performance of the iPad, but this can go up to 2000 scan points with M2 and some GB RAM storage.

This is interesting, but some retail spaces I only have limited access time to scan and end up using two or more scanners simultaneously on separate floors.

Stitching quotes of £1000 - £2000 exceed the scanning fee!
Post 12 IP   flag post
101749 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?