Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 676 Unique Visitors
9,033 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,250 Page Views | 18,448 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Pro3Versus

New Matterport Pro3 Camera. Buy or Wait?17362

inmerso3D private msg quote post Address this user
This arrived today.
Buy or wait?
Anyone with any good comments about this camera?

Post 1 IP   flag post
coulee360 private msg quote post Address this user
If i had the funds I would consider it. BUT since its not compatible with the Classic Plan, they wont be getting my money and I think they will be partly noticing that slight hurdle.

And after looking at the camera more this is more of a competition with the BLK360 and would be more ideal with bigger spaces and less of medium sized homes.
Post 2 IP   flag post
SpencerLasky private msg quote post Address this user
Oh I'm still paying off my BLK360 but ok - things keep improving that is a good thing!
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
lilnitsch private msg quote post Address this user
Currently, I am in the wait camp
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Osaka, Japan
Meidansha private msg quote post Address this user
I just tried to apart the Matterport sample scan of the Pro 3. The image quality didn't strike me as being as good as the Pro2 and the HDR if present at all (it was a very overcast day in Chicago when that space was made) was minimal.

On the plus side I saw NO STITCHING ISSUES, anywhere in the scan. It seems to be using only one exposure so there is no HDR compensation for the sensor limitations but but the stiching is worth noting. On pictures slightly better than a Theta Z?

The quality of the mesh looked close to what I get from my Leica, but that scan seems to have been done in one day which is impressive for such a Lidar tool.

The scan in question (to avoid confussion)
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@Meidansha

With a model size of approximately 143,229.90 ft² if this was done in one day it was done by multiple shooters with multiple cameras then stitched together
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnitsch
@Meidansha

With a model size of approximately 143,229.90 ft² if this was done in one day it was done by multiple shooters with multiple cameras then stitched together

@lilnitsch

Hmmmmm.....

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Osaka, Japan
Quite possibly. If it really is 4 times faster it may be possible to do it in one day.

I opened the edit file to check. There were no hidden spots which means any mistakes were deleted before upload
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@Meidansha

faster than the Leica BLK360 absolutely Pro2 marginally

Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Osaka, Japan
@lilnitsch my point is there are no hidden spots and they're miles apart. So if this is shooting at 20s a scan and up to 100m apart this have been done in one day (don't ask me how I opened the edit file because I won't make it public in case matterport fixes it)
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@Meidansha

I am seeing about 22 feet apart

Post 11 IP   flag post
palladio private msg quote post Address this user
I bought it instantaneously.

The MP site says they ship in "early September." Amazon says they are shipping Sept 22.

Most everything I scan has prominent outdoor features and high ceilings inside... so this is what I've been waiting for!

Cannot wait for this powerful monster to arrive.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
Queen_City_3D private msg quote post Address this user
I was looking at the sample model and there's a gym area with a bunch of workout equipment. It's been my experience that Treadmills and the like have always been problematic for the Pro2 with minor stitching errors and I'm not seeing any with the Pro3 so that's a major improvement.

For example, here's a snapshot from a recent scan with a Pro2:

and the Pro3 scan:

Looks pretty good.
Post 13 IP   flag post
FrontTowardEnemy private msg quote post Address this user
I bought the Pro3 and bundle of accessories as quickly as I could get my wallet out
Post 14 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
I am in the wait category, especially with the classic plan issues. But I would like to see a true side by side scan of a space head to head Pro2 and Pro3. Comparing total scan time, color comparison, and stitching errors. I would also like to see the cost comparison of classic plan, pro plan using the Pro2 pricing and then the complete cost of the scan using the Pro3 pricing. Just to see how much of a difference there really is.
Post 15 IP   flag post
SeeIt360 private msg quote post Address this user
I am in the wait category also. I'd like to see a few weeks of feedback before making the jump.
Post 16 IP   flag post
palladio private msg quote post Address this user
Counting the days until mine arrives. Thinking it would be nice if there was someplace we could see a large number of Pro3 scans. Anyone have any Pro3 scan links? I guess that should be a separate thread.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Expertise private msg quote post Address this user
I'm waiting for a bit too.

We have three Pro 2s and most of our business is Realtors.

I really don't see agents demanding this anytime soon.

I really don't see agents noticing the difference, or being interested in paying more for additional outdoor capabilities.

The time savings in scanning (with similar image quality) is a nice plus. It gives me some things to chew on as far as angles for business growth goes.
Post 18 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
Home3D private msg quote post Address this user
Pro 3 appears to be much better with stitching objects close to the camera. This makes sense. Pro 1 and Pro 2 have three lenses and rotate 60° at a time, so it stitches 18 HDR photos into a sphere. This set of 3 lenses is close together, but they are separated on the camera so are unable to view from the same exact position, hence stitching errors.

Watching videos of the Pro 3 spin, it has one large lens and rotates 90° at a time, so it creates a photosphere by stitching just 4 very large HDR fisheye photos, not 18. Furthermore, this lens sits on the rotational nodal center, accounting for the very strange camera shape as well as its lopsided swing, the camera's scanning mirror cantilevered off to one side. Weird look, but this should reduce stitching errors to almost nothing, even close to the camera. And remember, it's just 4 photos, not 18.

Curious thing is how the lidar scanner is NOT on nodal center like the BLK360. Much more complex mathematical processing of the point cloud data is required as it has to take into account that the scan mirror's sweep is never on node with the photographic lens. But in theory, this should net MORE point cloud data than Pro 2's IR scanner. The Pro 3 lidar sweeps, in a single spin, TWICE across all nearby surfaces. If processed accordingly, this provides some stereoscopic 3D data that looks "behind" objects, at least to the degree that our human two eyes are able to perceive depth. This could be a doorway for MP models to deliver TWO DIFFERENT views, stereoscopically, to VR headsets, if not immediately, then down the road. Could be exciting.
Post 19 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
Home3D private msg quote post Address this user
On another subject, there is modest benefit to the Pro 3 over Pro 2 in a market like NYC. MP models are indoors with little interference from full sunlight. Pro 3 scans "reach" further, but in a condo or home you still need the same number of scan nodes if the EXPERIENCE of walking through the home is to be step-by-step.

The Pro 3 benefits are for outdoor work (required here in LA for yards, pools, patios) and for large commercial sites. And especially for BIM type work. Way faster than Pro 2. Time and testing will reveal how Pro 3 compares with the BLK360. Probably will be faster as it's new tech up against a 5-year-old scanner.

But if an MSP does mostly residential indoor, there's less need to rush to the Pro 3.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Sdoughtie private msg quote post Address this user
I bought one. It hasn't arrived yet. I really did consider the BLK360 because of the proprietary nature of MP. However, what am I going to do? I really do not have the time to import clouds into RECAP (and pay the subscription) nor do I want to get a subscription to Cyclone. I would use MP anyway.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Sdoughtie private msg quote post Address this user
Question, does the 100M range help with alignment in large spaces? I've found that the april tags are hit and miss. Anyone have experience?
Post 22 IP   flag post
Expertise private msg quote post Address this user
Good observations.

This inside/outside thing occurred to me last night...

If you were able to scan the front yard, back yard, full pool area and interiors of residential properties that WOULD be something that the homeowners and their agents would notice and (possibly) pony up for.

@Home3D
Post 23 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

Use this We Get Around Network (WGAN) affiliate link to buy a Matterport Pro3 Camera via Amazon - WGAN.INFO/Amazon-300 - and receive - free - 12 Months WGAN-TV Training U in Matterport.
Post 24 IP   flag post
101438 24 24
This topic is archived. Start new topic?