Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Capture AppDollhouse ViewPro2ProblemsQuestionsScanningTips

Tips Needed - When Matterport Dollhouse view is critical17297

kaliforniatuffy private msg quote post Address this user
I’ve picked up some Matterport jobs from a company that is very dollhouse view centric. Yesterday I shot some hotel spaces for them and found that shooting with the idea of having absolutely no holes in the dollhouse view was very time consuming and required lots of adjustments.

On top of this, I am continually getting annoying errors in the Capture App. I will scan an area of a room, it will look fine, with no holes. I will then move into another area of the room, and that same area I just scanned that looked fine, will now inexplicably have a black hole or some kind of data loss. This required me to take far more scans than I normally would.

What is the best way to make sure the dollhouse view has no holes? In some places it was impossible for me to get behind cramped furniture, etc.

Here is an example of one annoying “hole” I kept encountering on all of the beds. Shooting them at a higher height seemed to make no difference.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
Queen_City_3D private msg quote post Address this user
The dollhouse view in the processed model will look different than what you have on the minimap so you might be okay.

If anything I'd say to do more scans in the corners to capture as much of the room as possible and seeing how you have some daylight coming through the windows you may need to convert a 360 sweep to 3D.

You also want the scans you are going to keep active to be lined up with each other. For example, going down the left side, I'd probably keep scan 2, 8, and 10 (or whatever is below it) active, and hide all the others along that side... but I'd want them better lined up and probably have one scan between 2 and 8 as Scans 3 and 7 are too far to the right if someone was navigating that space it would be an awkward transition jumping over rather than going in a straight line.
Post 2 IP   flag post
@Queen_City_3D Thanks for the tips. There is a television on the left side wall between scans 2 and 7. I did not take a scan there in order to avoid reflections. 7 is a bit to the right, because the shower doors in the bathroom area were also a bit reflective.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Jamie private msg quote post Address this user
You can always drop your tripod down and do low shots to fill in holes more efficiently. Do this at the end however. This is good for bathtubs, small rooms etc where a full height tripod would miss parts.
Post 4 IP   flag post
@Jamie Thanks. I did do this as well.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
I always make all big & noticeable black holes covered at least on jobs where it is possible. In some spots like on a couch with a lot of pillows stacked it is just much easier to remove pillows and do one scan in front rather than trying to fill holes between pillows from 2-3 sides.
Also using low sitting tripod where needed.. for example to scan inside sinks in kitchen/bathroom and do two scans inside a bathtub to cover it all.
However I leave all these technical scans with a low tripod to the end. That saves time on changing the tripod height all the time.

What you have on your minimap now is probably the same as I would leave this property if I was doing it. Unless I could fix that void between scan #20 and # 15 & 12

And do not worry much about reflections as there is nothing we can do and your client should be aware of it. For that reason I would also do a scan in front the TV to provide a direct line walk to the bathroom from an entrance.

And do not to forget to disable all these scans that you do just to fill holes. I call them technical scans and I always disable them in a tour.

I think there maybe a client we are happy to help but they do not have a budget to pay for a detailed dollhouse with no holes. In that case you can offer scanning 2-3 times faster just for a visual walkthrough and simply disable a dollhouse.
I have not met one yet but I keep that option in mind.
Post 6 IP   flag post
101641 6 6
This topic is archived. Start new topic?