Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
4Way InspectionAECBusiness DevelopmentBusiness ExpenseConstructionDry WallVideo

Video: What is a 4-Way Inspection (and why shoot a Matterport of it)?17127

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Video: Matterport Scan at 4-Way Inspection | Video courtesy of Medley Creative YouTube Channel

Hi All,

Pre-Drywall:

1. Framing
2. Electrical
3. Plumbing
4. Mechanical (HVAC)

Another opportunity to pitch home builders as marketing tool for prospective buyers?

Best,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
johnwheatley private msg quote post Address this user
This is a great idea and benefit fo a homeowner! So, the homebuilder would pay for this, but the homeowner, I assume, would have to pay for perpetual hosting? This could be a great source of income, but will any homeowner be willing.

Or it could be archived and retrieved 25 years later if needed. Will they have to pay a fee to make it live again? E.g. $20 for a month or $100 for a year? That's a lot of money to drill a hole to hang a decoration. And will the homeowner remember that I am the guy who has it archived? And what of the likelihood that I will not only be out of business in 25 years, but that I will also likely be dead?

I'm not disparaging the idea, just suscing out the particulars of how this would/could work in practice.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@johnwheatley

Great questions. ....

What if:

1. The builder pre-paid for 2-3 years of hosting of the Matterport "4-Way Inspection" tour and "finished Matterport tour" to hand over to the homebuyer?

2. Homebuyer would be responsible for hosting after that (or you "eat" the cost of hosting because 10 percent move each year so you want to be "in" with the homeowner to request that their agent buy a new tour, photos, videos and floor plans to market the house for sale?)

Thoughts?

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
@DanSmigrod

The figure, 10% move annually, does not tell us what percentage sell a property. According to NAR,"As of 2018, the median duration of homeownership in the U.S. is 13 years." - https://www.nar.realtor/blogs/economists-outlook/how-long-do-homeowners-stay-in-their-homes

Anecdotally, my parents have owned their home for over 60 years.

Intuitively, a brand new home won't likely see a major renovation (wherein a model of the "bones" would be especially helpful)for many years if ever.

A digital twin could be very useful well before any major renovation, especially if something goes wrong, like a burst pipe or failed electrical, and it could be useful in the sale of a house.

As far as eating the cost in hopes of future business referrals, two thoughts:

1. The cost may be nothing if the MP account has perpetual excess capacity, which may be the case for many. But if if a service provider is pushing this kind of service then this may not be the case.

2. I suspect that the chances of future referrals is not great. Even if the homeowner remembers the MP service provider, making a referral will not be top of mind, and agents will push to use their usual photographer.

Given these two thoughts, I could be wrong, but I think that offering the service for free may leave more money on the table than the potential income. I'm not sure what the right pricing model looks like, but one idea I'm entertaining at the moment goes something like this:

The builder buys hosting for 2-3 years. After that time, the model is archived, and the homeowner has a choice of options:

1. Activate the model for one month anytime for $20* per activation, or
2. For $60/year in advance, activate the model up to 5x/year* for 1-month periods, or
3. For $120, the site remains active for a year.
(*The dollar amounts and other variables are examples to illustrate the model.)

Right away, I would criticize this model for not being simple enough for the homeowner or for me to manage. An alternative to simplify might be to take reduce the options to one, probably modification of option #2. For example - $60/year with four 1-month activations included, plus $20 per activation after that. Or $30/year with one 1-month activation included and $25 per activation after that. Idk.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@johnwheatley

Cool stat on average length of homeownership.

If the homeowner decides to do a renovation, I could imagine the Matterport MatterPak has value.

Please let us know what you decide to do.

Enjoy your weekend,

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Bon Secour, Alabama
Chemistrydoc private msg quote post Address this user
@dansmigrod

I am doing exactly this for a premium homebuilder on the Gulf Coast (no home under construction under $5 Million). They love the fact that they now do not have to take thousands of iPhone photos (and curate the collection), that they have an unchangeable reference to the condition of the home before drywall is added, and that they can bring value to their clients by having this information at their fingertips - even years after the homeowner has the keys to their palace.

I would share more, but given the nature of their clientele base (NFL stars to bank presidents, etc. etc.), I have agreed not to share particulars or models of the homes themselves.

This use should become a standard for every custom home builder. Period.

Maybe we should interact with NAHB on the national level to see this happen? Maybe a booth at the National Homebuilders Convention?

Food for thought on a Friday night...

Cheers -

Keith
Post 6 IP   flag post
@Chemistrydoc

Cool jobs! Are you hosting the digital twins, or the builder? If you, how are you charging?
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Bon Secour, Alabama
Chemistrydoc private msg quote post Address this user
I’m hosting. With what I charged for the initial shoot, the cost is well covered. Plans are to train a collaborator at the construction firm and ultimately get them to transfer the models to an account of their own. I currently am hosting 9 models, the smallest of which is an 8,000 sq ft lakefront “Cottage”.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@Chemistrydoc

The smallest is 8k square feet! Damn! That's crazy!!

Anyway, yeah, they can't expect you to host it for the life of the house without compensation. Did you have a conversation up front with them about how long you would host and the long-term plan?
Post 9 IP   flag post
101641 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?