WGAN-TV Short Story #2977 | SIMLAB STAGES Timeline: Reducing Costs and Improving Efficiency |

WGAN-TV | SIMLAB STAGES Timeline: Reducing Costs and Improving Efficiency

The SIMLAB STAGES Timeline is a tool that allows users to view Matterport digital twins of construction sites at different points in time – from the same spot – as if they were looking at it in person.

This allows AEC team collaborators to see potential obstacles or problems that may arise during construction. The SIMLAB STAGES Timeline is used with two or more Matterport scans to create a timeline of the construction site. Additionally, the SIMLAB STAGES Timeline can be used with BIM models to help with construction planning.

Watch the entire show via the WGAN-TV Podcast | Episode #146 here:

WGAN-TV Podcast | Introduction to SIMLAB STAGES + Matterport for AEC Design/Build Communications | Guest: SIMLAB Founder and CEO Marek Kozlak, PhD Eng. (@SIMLAB) | Episode: 146 | Thursday, 19 May 2022 | www.SIMLABinc.com

WGAN Forum Podcast #103 WGAN Forum Podcast | Introduction to SIMLAB STAGES + Matterport for AEC Design/Build Communications | Guest: SIMLAB Founder and CEO Marek Kozlak, PhD Eng. | Episode: 103 | Thursday, 19 May 2022 | www.SIMLABinc.com

Questions about SIMLAB STAGES Timeline?

---

Transcript (WGAN-TV Short Story #2977 at the very top)

[00:05:47]

Dan Smigrod: -Before we jump into a demo of SIMLAB STAGES, I want to stay on this concept of reducing costs that you mentioned, either through saving time, saving travel or reducing errors and issues, which again saves money and time.

You also touched on efficient and effective communication or monitoring of construction site and you referenced the SIMLAB STAGES Timeline. We're all familiar with Matterport, but how do I relate a Matterport tour from week 1 to week 2 to week 3 if I'm doing weekly construction documentation of a commercial space with Matterport?

Help us understand the SIMLAB STAGES Timeline. Let's do that without doing a demo yet. I'm going to ask you for a demo, but you started to talk about it. Tell me more about the SIMLAB STAGES Timeline.

[00:06:55]

Marek Kozlak: -Well, imagine that you have the Superman eyes. You are standing in front of the wall. You want to punch a new hole in that wall to make a door or maybe the windows or maybe just an entrance to another room because you have the case study in the moment.

With SIMLAB STAGES Timeline, you are using Superman eyes – moving this slider back in time to see what's behind the wall, if there are any structures, if there are any pipes or electricity cables, to make sure that you are not going to do more destruction instead of construction.

[00:07:34]

Dan Smigrod: Let's talk about that hole in the wall and you talk about moving a slider. So does that mean that as I move that timeline, that slider, the SIMLAB STAGES Timeline, that I literally see the same spot within the construction site but at a different point in time?

[00:07:58]

Marek Kozlak: Yes, the same spot in the same angle of camera, the viewport of the camera but just in a different time when the scans were taken by Matterport device or in a BIM model for example.

[00:08:15]

Dan Smigrod: STAGES might be: this is the as-built stage. This is the BIM model stage. This is the?

[00:08:28]

Marek Kozlak: Blueprints.

[00:08:29]

Dan Smigrod: The blueprint stage. This is perhaps after the first phase, whatever that might be. After the second phase, whatever that might be and so each of those is represented.

I heard Matterport. So I heard that I can look at Matterport at any point in time and have a slider take me through those spaces but I think I also heard the BIM model blueprint. Help us understand how those STAGES might be represented visually?

[00:09:06]

Marek Kozlak: Yes. Actually, there are tricky situations here. I did not want it to go yet in that discussion; because we have two versions of our Matterport STAGES. Actually Matterport/SIMLAB STAGES Timeline, I would say all STAGES of the software.

1) typically the web version of the software and that works with Matterport 3D walkthroughs. So that means on light touch screens, which is not having any computer power, and this is using regular browsers, which can be even your cell phone, as the Matterport model is visible on that cell phone, you can stack on top of each other many of those Matterport models and have a visualization timeline of different phases of the building, in particular moments taken as the 3D scanning was done.