Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 837 Unique Visitors
9,050 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 35,106 Page Views | 19,195 Unique Visitors | 29 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
ScansStrategy

Handling blown out windows1669

WGAN Basic
Denver
pixelray private msg quote post Address this user
i don't know about you, but I am getting lots of complaints about windows looking awful. I have learned that Million dollar homes with million dollar views should never be scanned during the day. It just looks terrible. I knew it would look terrible, so what do I do? I close the curtains thus blocking the world from experiencing these views - well on the 3d part anyway - they obviously can be seen in the regular photos. And wouldn't you know it, the client is mad I did that. Huge windows equals huge ugly if I leave curtains open is what I tell them. There is no winning. Mad if open and mad if closed. I explain about how this camera isn't made to look out windows (except for at sunset), but people just don't get it. Again, no winning. I am now forced to explain this situation up front and ask client if they want ugly option 1 or ugly option 2. Very annoyed.
Post 1 IP   flag post
3D Renderings
AEC Elevation Drawings
Montreal, Québec
ArchimedStudio private msg quote post Address this user
I can totally relate, but then again, it is a tool to visit the property in its entirety, not a beauty-shot still photo tool. The (often unrealistic, HDR, color corrected, etc...) photos are still always there in the listing, so these help feel the "beauty" of the property. Our virtual tours are there to see how fonctional the property is.
I do complain about blown out windows too, but I sure am very happy when a very dark room (basement, garage, etc...) turns out looking awesome thanks to the Matterport camera.

Here's an example of a Penthouse where the view was just astonishing, for which the tour doesn't really give justice:
https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=GUibPCnjYM3

Matt
Post 2 IP   flag post
HarlanHambright private msg quote post Address this user
You proffered the solution in the question. Time of day is all important. Always has, always will be. Dusk is one strategy, but daytime timing is another. Windows facing east will appear much different in the morning (backlit subjects outside) from afternoon (when view is flooded with direct light). What the view of is another variable (trees vs beach). I like to scan on rainy days! HDR makes the Windows a pleasing turquoise blue. Overcast helps as well. All in all, I think MP does a respectable job handling wide exposure ranges, surprisingly well sometimes. I have had zero exposure complaints in 128 scans. I don't leave toilet seats up anymore however.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Archimed: that's an example where a near dusk or dawn scan would have made a great difference. You'd have to scan fast though to cover that large of a room during the window of opportunity. I would start early while sun was up and scan all the back spaces, then as it started to dim, move into the living room. This also assumes that the residents didn't want to come in and start cooking supper.
Post 4 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
I agree with HarlanHambright except for the dinner part, dinner is always a nice perk after shooting for a few hours.

Ron
Post 5 IP   flag post
3D Renderings
AEC Elevation Drawings
Montreal, Québec
I've made some tests with shooting right when the sun is about to set, with a room much smaller than this living room, and by the time I was half way done, it was almost dark out. So in this penthouse example, since most rooms have huge windows with a view, it would have be dawn for a few spots in the living room, then night in the rest of the property (which probably would have looked very nice, I give you that)... But walking around with change of lighting, althought interesting for some, can be even more distracting for most.

Matt
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Denver
I realize the best time to shoot is when the sun is at it's proper location. However, I have jobs pretty much daily. 3 - 5,000 sq ft homes that take hours - I can't just wait til the best lighting is there to do it. It's always a rush. Which I know if part of the problem, but that's how it is.

Matt - yes, those views are incredible once the camera is right next to the window - it's leading up to that point that I am talking about. Everything is blown out and that's the complaint I get. No win.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@ArchimedStudios
The tour is great, is there a reason you did not go out on the deck? Just curios and for info.

Ron
Post 8 IP   flag post
3D Renderings
AEC Elevation Drawings
Montreal, Québec
Hi Ron,
It was still VERY cold outside (around -10C) when we shot this one. I noticed that in order to go outside without any problems, it is best to leave the window open the whole time (well, at least when the camera is close enough to scan the 3D of the window). So in this case, leaving the window open was not really an option.
I've managed to scan the balcony/deck a few times without the window open, just so we see it on the dollhouse and floor plans, but it doesn't always work. If the scan doesn't pick up enough information on the deck from inside, when we go outside, it usually cannot align.

If you guys have a work-around that works all the time, I would be very interested to know!

Matt
Post 9 IP   flag post
@ArchimedStudio
Another great thing about VR tours you never know how cold or hot it actually is at the time of the shoot. Only other suggestion is hand warmers.
Ron
Post 10 IP   flag post
Matt
All kidding aside would be once Mattertags allow you to import photos so you can supplement the tour with photos, HDR, enhanced photos, or panoramas.

Ron
Post 11 IP   flag post
I had a similar issue. A modern river house had a glass roll up garage door in the living room leading out to a large deck. Unfortunately the wind was blowing 25 knots that day and an open garage door would have wreaked havoc with all the stuff inside. No deck walk.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
Queen_City_3D private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchimedStudio

Here's an example of a Penthouse where the view was just astonishing, for which the tour doesn't really give justice:
https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=GUibPCnjYM3

Matt

I think anyone navigating through the tour is going to "walk" up to the windows and when you're right there at the glass I think it looks good and the view speaks for itself.
Post 13 IP   flag post
RenderingSpace private msg quote post Address this user
I'm finding that my job isn't just about showing up to scan the home but educating people about the technology. What I do is help them see that Matterport is one component of their overall marketing strategy.

PHOTOS are what you use to get perspective buyers interested. They're the foundational part of any successful marketing campaign.

MATTERPORT is to help buyers conceptualize the space, the flow of the rooms, etc. It's to help them visualize how their furniture will be laid out. It's a much more accurate representation of the space than wide-angle lenses.

FLOOR PLANS are a great add-on to quickly conceptualize the space.

VIDEO and AERIAL VIDEO is to show views, perspectives, and detail shots that will create an EMOTIONAL CONNECTION with the space. You don't use Matterport to create an emotional connection with the space like you would video.

Using all of these things together is what tells THE WHOLE STORY. It's also how you make a lot more money!
Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Denver
I seem to be doing a lot of educating about the whole window thing...Did that in full detail WITH PHOTOS as visual back up and proof of what I was talking about...and she still wanted the blinds open after I just proved they would look way better closed.

I am going to start bringing up the blown out widows to every client now and giving them the option up front...closed or open. It will look like this and it will look like that...your choice.
Post 15 IP   flag post
101628 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?