Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceCapture AppCUPIXDigital Twin CreatorMatterport

Most Affordable Platform for AEC Work with BIM Integration?16669

engineer17 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm trying to find the most affordable platform for the AEC Industry that can capture a site and have some sort of BIM Comparison feature.

Assuming that I have all of the equipment, I just want to know what platform has the most affordable model. I am currently looking at Cupix, Matterport, HoloBuilder, StructionSite, and OpenSpace.

Cupix and Matterport seem to be pretty expensive.
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@engineer17

Welcome to the WGAN Forum.

Can you tell us the kind of spaces and the use case?

It's always helpful to understand what you would like to accomplish.

Best,

Dan
Post 2 IP   flag post
We are part of the water/wastewater industry. This would include a lot of MEP type of work. Obviously spaces can vary in size, but there would be a lot of complex piping and equipment.

The main use is to have a record of photos, leading to some sort of tour. Having the ability to compare that tour with a BIM Model in Navisworks/Revit would be very helpful.
Post 3 IP   flag post
v3dtech private msg quote post Address this user
We did similar project for a company that designs equipment for Waste Management facilities. Company is located a few hundred km (we are from Canada) from the Waste Management facility. We provided them Matterport 3D virtual tour of the equipment room for their staff to understand the space they need to work in and do basic measurements. We also scanned the facility using BLK360 scanner and provided them CAD model (STEP file) of the equipment as installed including building structure in close proximity to the equipment. The company will import the STEP file in Inventor and design their equipment accordingly. Hope this helps!!
Post 4 IP   flag post
IFTI Team
Concord, CA
PROVision private msg quote post Address this user
@engineer17

It’s a good question and, frustratingly, there’s not a simple/quick answer. Aside from industry/customer-specific requirements, it simply depends on how many spaces, how large they are, how high ceilings are, among several other things, to be able to definitively say what will result in the lowest cost in the long term.

Matterport is not a good option for complex MEP structure unless you are exclusively using the BLK360 and have a perfect scan with every angle covered, along with a talented modeler to turn into a Revit model.

Matterport’s BIM service for producing a Revit model is comically expensive (and subject to the same pitfalls mentioned above).

I haven't tested Cupix as much as I had wanted to but I was very encouraged/impressed with their platform and the considerations they had made in comparison with Matterport. As I recall, Cupix does have the ability to compare a virtual walkthrough with a BIM model side-by-side.

Anyway, I’ll come back later this afternoon if I get a minute, but just a couple of quick notes from my experience.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
New York City
Jonathan_Klein private msg quote post Address this user
Instead paying Matterport 2x, I suggest checking out https://bimit.integrated-projects.com/
Post 6 IP   flag post
SCAN TO CAD FILE SERVICE Baezeni private msg quote post Address this user
As a long time member of WGAN forum and provider of BIM and 3D models from all types and formats of scanned and manual input for 15 years we are happy with the use and flexibility of Autodesk tools.

It have all the AEC tools and formats in and out usually needed. We can import the Pointcloud to Recap Software and modeling all AEC by Revit. Some examples of data that can be extracted for documentation and vieweing or directly into construction evaluation or maintenance solutions some examples is:

3D Bim model: Revit (.rvt), 3D DWG( .dwg), Ifc (.ifc) or Sketchup ( .Skp)
2D drawing extracted directly like floorplan drawing, Ceiling heigh drawings, elevations drawing, section drawings etc.

Here just 2 of the many hundred projects we have helped WGAN members and other clients with whole or part of work from any type of input. Please open as example in a 3D online view using A360 share link:

https://autode.sk/38S7DTD

https://autode.sk/3bv6pPr

We will be happy to help on any levels if to provide BIM modeling and advisory: https://baezeni.com/contact
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
107-WGAN-TV: WGAN-TV: CupixWorks 2.0 versus Matterport for Construction Professionals with Cupix Product Manager Gannon Wilder (@Gannon_Cupix) | Thursday, 17 June 2021

WGAN-TV | Matterport + Leica BLK360: 20 Questions (and Answers) | Guest: Robotic Imaging Co-Founder Mike Chawaga | Aired: Thursday, 4 November 2021 | Episode 124 | Website: www.RoboticImaging.io

WGAN-TV | How Architects Leverage Matterport Tours Shot with a Leica BLK360 | Guest: Immersaf Media Principal Matt Crowder @MattSCrowder | Thursday, 3 February 2022 | Episode Number: 133

Matterport Digital Twin shot with a Leica BLK360 by Immersaf Media (and Matt S. Photography) Principal Matt Crowder.

@engineer17

Any of the above helpful?

Do you have follow-up questions, based on the replies that you received to your posts?

Best,

Dan
Post 8 IP   flag post
I appreciate all of the feedback so far. It is all very helpful and it's nice to see that others are using this technology with a similar application.

The information on point clouds and the BLK360 is appealing, but I'm more focused on the photogrammetry. Again, I'm just trying to find the most cost-effective platform to do some sort of site tour. A lot of these companies are not transparent with their pricing models and are often misleading:
-Do I own the photos I shoot?
-Do I lose my tours if I have to cancel a service?
-Do I have to manually pick and choose each photo I take relative to a site plan, or can that be stitched automatically?
-How do I get accurate measurements?
-ETC.
Post 9 IP   flag post
101436 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?