Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
BLK360Cortexhe Leica BLK360OutdoorsPro2Ricoh Theta Z1

Theta Z1 is better for outdoor scanning than Pro2! Is it true? No!16584

WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
There are plenty of people on MOUG that often tell the others who are trying to use a Pro2 outdoor and having problems with it that a Theta Theta Z1 will do a job. I am trying to post under any of this advice and post that it is not true but plenty are still saying it. This pushing some photographers with a Pro2 to think they need a Z1 for it which in this case will be just a waste of money/

So I have decided to post here just to explain why this statement is wrong.

Let's start with obvious that 3D Cortex engine processes both a z1 photo and a Pro2 photo in the same way and I cannot see how it is better to use a Z1 with 21MP resolution vs a pro2 photo with 134MP resolution.

What do you think is going to have more 3D data generated using some kind of photogrammetry where pixels count matters?

So why some think a Z1 is better than a pro2 converted to 3D?

It is actually a fault of Matterport that allows to move/rotate a 360 view from a pro2 before converting it to 3D. When you do a Z1 shot as a 3D scan it is converted automatically.

However when you do a pro2 360 view you are allowed to move and rotate it to a spot and orientation you think is right. That what should be avoided at any cost. Simply do not touch them at all and convert exactly where it is placed by default.

I know that because I use 3D conversion for pro2 views quite often now and this is what I have found out experimenting. If I do not want any problems with alignment I should just convert a 360 view exactly where Matterport is placing it by default. Moving and rotating 360 views is what ruins everything for a proper alignment.

Just with my last scans experience: I needed to generate a bit of mesh outdoor in front of a property entrance. I did one 360, then placed it on a minimap and it landed inside a property 5 meters away from an actual spot. I did not move or rotate it and did conversion at its default placement. After conversion it went exactly to a spot outdoor where it was taken at with no visible misalignment.

I repeated it a few times as there were pillars supporting a porch roof and conversion of course did not generate any mesh behind them. I never moved or rotated 360 views no matter where Matterport was placing them and they all landed in correct spots after conversion.

So this is a huge misconception about a Z1 working better outdoor. If you want the same performance for your Pro2 and utilise its high-resolution DO NOT ever move them anywhere from its default placement, do not rotate them at all and do conversion right after you create them.
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Osaka, Japan
Meidansha private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for sharing this.

I have yet to try the convert to 3D option. I hadn't considered that it could be used to take pictures of outside scenes.

I do have a Theta and I do sometimes use it. Most of the time if I want to picture water as the picture data gets taken into the model. Also if I do a scan in a car or narrow hall way with a handrail as the close distance to the seam lines creates a zigzag effect with the pro 2 (the Theta has seam lines but only 2 between the two lens, so I aim the theta at the walls rather than ahead and behind).
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Denver
pixelray private msg quote post Address this user
They both suck for outdoor scanning. Only camera I have ever had luck with when scanning outdoors (regardless of weather conditions), is the Leica BLK360.

I can only get MP Pro cameras to work outdoors in dawn or dusk and with April tags assisting - and I still get crazy misalignments. I don't know what is taking MP so long to come up with a new camera.

Hopefully it will be what @DanSmigrod posted about not long ago and be a clone of the BLK....at a MUCH cheaper price.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meidansha
I do have a Theta and I do sometimes use it. Most of the time if I want to picture water as the picture data gets taken into the model. Also if I do a scan in a car or narrow hall way with a handrail as the close distance to the seam lines creates a zigzag effect with the pro 2 (the Theta has seam lines but only 2 between the two lens, so I aim the theta at the walls rather than ahead and behind).

This applies to your case with water in a pool. If you have a pro2 use it just accept its default placement no matter how ridiculous it looks and it will work the same as with a Z1 but with more 3D data generated.
Sure a Z1 will be quicker to convert as it happens by default while a pro2 360 view needs two clicks before you can convert.

I am not even sure a correct spot matters significantly more than a correct rotation. I have not gone further with experiments of not touching them at all and still getting great results. Maybe you can still move them and only attempts to rotate them the way you think is right ruining alignment. However even moving them only in most cases screws their rotation as they're not longer pointing to where they should after any movement.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelray
They both suck for outdoor scanning. Only camera I have ever had luck with when scanning outdoors (regardless of weather conditions), is the Leica BLK360. I can only get MP Pro cameras to work outdoors in dawn or dusk and with April tags assisting - and I still get crazy misalignments. I don't know what is taking MP so long to come up with a new camera. Hopefully it will be what @DanSmigrod posted about not long ago and be a clone of the BLK....at a MUCH cheaper price.

Agree but my point is actually not to listen to any advice that you must have a Z1 if you have a pro2 already just to do water in a pool or create some short path outdoor. It is one thing if you have a Z1 already and want to do it faster and another that you will need to buy a Z1 as an addition to do all these things.
Post 5 IP   flag post
aerialpixels private msg quote post Address this user
@pixelray I wonder when the Pro3 will be coming out... if ever.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerialpixels
@pixelray I wonder when the Pro3 will be coming out... if ever.

I would be more than happy with android beta features coming to IOS, especially its manual alignment. In most cases using the 3D conversion engine misaligns scans from a bit to a lot, if it can be fixed manually that would make conversion much more handy.
Post 7 IP   flag post
101429 7 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?